Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Empty Coach Row vs Full Domestic F Cabin? Reverse Upgrade List for Social Distancing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty Coach Row vs Full Domestic F Cabin? Reverse Upgrade List for Social Distancing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond

Are we getting to a point where a seat in an empty row in coach has more value than a F upgrade, or even paid F on a domestic flight?
Should there be some kind of reverse upgrade list?

I could see some fliers taking that over an upgraded F seat in a full F cabin when 50 people are scattered throughout the back of the plane.

The DM's get the empty row and the BE fare ends up in F instead

If loads remain low, maybe airlines should sell a guaranteed empty row in Y for a single F fare (or Y, B, or M fare even) to a single traveler if it makes financial sense.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
not me, I'll be taking the crowded F cabin
pgh234 and will2288 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I was on an ATL-PHL flight last night on an MD-90.
It had 75 empty seats but C+ was completely full.

Who in their right mind would take a middle C+ seat over an empty row in the back (there were many of them).
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by apodo77

Who in their right mind would take a middle C+ seat over an empty row in the back (there were many of them).
But but but free drinks broooooo!!
defrosted and apodo77 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, I would take the F seat over a row in Y (it's much more comfortable IMO) but that's just crazy.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
If the flight is 90 minutes or less, I think I would take the row in Y.
Especially if I knew it was going to be open in advance and I could just board late.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:17 pm

Take your drink to the back

So, perhaps sit in the middle seat in C+, order a double Woodfords or whatever else you like, and when it comes, take it to the back and claim an empty row.
apodo77 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:55 pm

Tall people
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Tall people
I just don’t see how a y’all person would be more comfortable in a middle C+ seat vs a whole row where he or she could angle their legs and stretch out as far as they want.
But then again I’m not tall 😀

Also wouldn’t have to worry about anyone reclining seat in front of them with another empty row in front.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:25 pm

I just don’t see how a y’all person would be more comfortable in a middle C+ seat vs a whole row where he or she could angle their legs and stretch out as far as they want.
But then again I’m not tall 😀

Also wouldn’t have to worry about anyone reclining seat in front of them with another empty row in front.
The leg angling only really helps you below the knee, but on many planes my knee goes into the back of an unreclined seat in standard economy. I guess with a fully empty row you could go very sideways and that would work, but you can never count when booking on the whole row being empty.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Did this on the good old CVG- CDG flight a couple of times. Had a C+ outside aisle seat I stashed my stuff in the bin above and then went to the back and claimed a whole middle row before takeoff (really light flight..) - sat there entire flight in relative comfort. Made a poor man's sleeper seat across the 4 seats and had a pretty pleasant flight for Y. When the seat belt sign came on for landing, I returned to my C+ seat (next to someone) and sat there for easy retrieval of my bags in the overheads and a quicker exit. Me and my comfort+ neighbor both had a great flight and I suspect my seating was way better than him with my 4 across row further back in the plane.. Def. one of the better flight choices when you are stuck in Y TATL...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by resolute
Did this on the good old CVG- CDG flight a couple of times. Had a C+ outside aisle seat I stashed my stuff in the bin above and then went to the back and claimed a whole middle row before takeoff (really light flight..) - sat there entire flight in relative comfort. Made a poor man's sleeper seat across the 4 seats and had a pretty pleasant flight for Y. When the seat belt sign came on for landing, I returned to my C+ seat (next to someone) and sat there for easy retrieval of my bags in the overheads and a quicker exit. Me and my comfort+ neighbor both had a great flight and I suspect my seating was way better than him with my 4 across row further back in the plane.. Def. one of the better flight choices when you are stuck in Y TATL...
CVG-CDG is on a 763...so you only had a 3 across row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.