Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Grounds Flights and Withdraws Its Financial Outlook

DL Grounds Flights and Withdraws Its Financial Outlook

Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by becks1
Curious if/where they will deploy wide bodies on domestic routes.

Loads seem very light this week - as a silver, upgraded to First at T-24 and only 1 Comfort+ seat taken. Will be interesting to see how empty the plane is tomorrow AM.
Yes. Delta’s most senior employees who will be last to be furloughed are also the ones qualified on their largest aircraft, so unless this drags on long enough to justify requalifying then on different aircraft types, redeployment of bigger aircraft will continue, IMHO.

This will likely result in consolidation of two narrowbody flights into one widebody in most cases.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Anyone know if the reductions are already loaded or if they are still coming? None of my upcoming trips are affected yet, but they are also all international flights on major trunk routes...
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
Anyone know if the reductions are already loaded or if they are still coming? None of my upcoming trips are affected yet, but they are also all international flights on major trunk routes...
I tried to book some dummy flights this morning and several flights each day are completely sold out in all fare classes even though the seatmap shows 50%+ availability. These are the flights that will be cancelled.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Some of them are definitely loaded - e.g., JFK-TLV has been suspended from tomorrow (3/11) on for two weeks for now....the JFK-BOM frequency cuts (to 4x weekly) starting in April have been loaded...etc.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will most likely get loaded this coming Schedule Change Saturday. A few were loaded last Saturday and you can find them in the OAG Changes update on airliners.net. At this point, many just appear to have zero'd out inventory.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Member, WFBF
Originally Posted by bubbashow
We've got to be getting close to flight deck furloughs, aren't we?
From my understanding from a Delta pilot buddy, they feel pretty confident that mandatory retirements should negate the need to furlough pilots. He also said that for a furlough to make financial sense, the pilots would need to be out closer to two years. He is unsure about the flight attendant manpower situation, however.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I tried to book some dummy flights this morning and several flights each day are completely sold out in all fare classes even though the seatmap shows 50%+ availability. These are the flights that will be cancelled.
Thanks for the tip.... I tried searching for my flight next week.

Good News: It isn't sold out.
Bad News: It is 10% CHEAPER than when I bought it!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
Thanks for the tip.... I tried searching for my flight next week.

Good News: It isn't sold out.
Bad News: It is 10% CHEAPER than when I bought it!
If you're still traveling next week then this is an excellent opportunity to take advantage of the change fee waiver and re-fare your itinerary to save money for future travel.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
provided the purchase date was inside the waiver window ... I have a couple of UA segments toward the end of the month that I booked on 29 Feb, but their window starts 3 Mar
defrosted likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
If you're still traveling next week then this is an excellent opportunity to take advantage of the change fee waiver and re-fare your itinerary to save money for future travel.
Originally Posted by jrl767
provided the purchase date was inside the waiver window ... I have a couple of UA segments toward the end of the month that I booked on 29 Feb, but their window starts 3 Mar
I realize I could HUCA but my first attempt was a no. Agent said you could only cancel and apply for future travel not on the same flight. She could cancel and rebook on same flight but she would have to apply the change fee, which would negate the fare savings and then some.

She told me the waiver was only for people not wanting to fly right now.

In reading the update on their website it does say "can be changed one-time to an alternate itinerary" [emphasis mine] so I am not going to fight it. Plus my booking is complicated so the time wasted fighting isn't worth there savings as I would use a voucher but the rest in my group would likely not anyway. Plus I do feel like it is sort of taking advantage of the nature of the waiver.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
At least their waiver didn't start March 1 with you booking on Feb 29, because that would be 1 in 4 years type of luck.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by rylan
Wonder what routes/flights they're going to be temporarily cutting.
Has this been announced yet?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Juanefny
Has this been announced yet?
The PR mentioned they'll announce more specifics later this week. I imagine network planning and revenue management are having a ton of fun right now getting that sorted out - they have been zeroing out inventory on some of the higher frequency markets at least domestically.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Yeah.
How about they stop the carbon offset payments and fund the pensions with the market down.
Funding pensions doesn't do anything for the shareholders. Buying back stock does help the shareholders by increasing EPS numbers.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
I don't get where people keep painting this gloomy picture of AAL's finances. At the end of 2019 AAL had $33 billion of debt and $59.99 billion in assets (ratio of 55.7%) and DAL had $47.3 billion of debt and $64.5 billion of assets (ratio of 73.4%). Yeah AAL is a worse airline, but their balance sheet is much better than Delta's.
All the airlines are in big trouble now. Stock price, debt to asset ratios, debt to stock price ratios, etc don’t matter when you aren’t taking in any cash. These companies need to do whatever they can to reduce spending and somehow bring in some cash now. Profit is an option, cash is a fact.

I would look out for even more severe cuts by all airlines over the next few weeks and if this goes on for a few months at least a handful of bankrupt airlines will result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.