Delta award ticket changes and charges

Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Delta award ticket changes and charges

Long story short - we were booked JFK-FLL round trip in May for a cruise on award tickets. In view of the fact that cruise ships appear to have turned into giant floating petri dishes for the spread of coronavirus plus the recent State Dept warning, we have just cancelled the cruise. This was a cruise with family and friends. We still want to go to FLL, but will probably extend our stay there for a few days, then visit Raleigh to see more family and return to New York early.

My question is - if we were to take the first leg JFK-FLL and then not take the return, are there any consequences from Delta? We have some Jet Blue and American miles we might try to redeem. Or buy the FLL-RDU and RDU-NYC legs with cash. Just dont want to get dinged $300 to redeposit miles and change the itinerary for two tickets. As you've probably guessed, we are not Platinum or Diamond. Thanks!

Last edited by BabyBearNewYork; Mar 9, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork
Long story short - we were booked JFK-FLL round trip in May for a cruise on award tickets. In view of the fact that cruise ships appear to have turned into giant floating petri dishes for the spread of coronavirus plus the recent State Dept warning, we have just cancelled the cruise. This was a cruise with family and friends. We still want to go to FLL, but will probably extend our stay there for a few days, then visit Raleigh to see more family and return to New York early.

My question is - if we were to take the first leg JFK-FLL and then not take the return, are there any consequences from Delta? We have some Jet Blue and American miles we might try to redeem. Or buy the FLL-RDU and RDU-NYC legs with cash. Just dont want to get dinged $300 to redeposit miles and change the itinerary for two tickets. As you've probably guessed, we are not Platinum or Diamond. Thanks!
Not sure exactly what you are looking for. Are you looking to get miles back since you'd only fly one-way? Or, are you looking to find out whether there are any financial consequences in failing to show up for a return flight you don't intend to take?

On DL, if you fail to show up for a return flight, you simply lose the remaining value of that flight - there is no other penalty.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Call and explain.DL is generous at waiving fees unlike the others.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. Yes, I was trying to figure out if we didn't show up for our return flight, what the consequences would be, if any.

flyerCO thanks for the suggestion. I will call and find out if Delta is willing to waive the fees to redeposit the miles. The only thing is, since we dont have status with them, they may not be as flexible - or does that not matter?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork
Thank you both. Yes, I was trying to figure out if we didn't show up for our return flight, what the consequences would be, if any.

flyerCO thanks for the suggestion. I will call and find out if Delta is willing to waive the fees to redeposit the miles. The only thing is, since we dont have status with them, they may not be as flexible - or does that not matter?
Having been non-status, FO, and GM on DL, the particular agent and your friendliness/attitude towards them matters more than status.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekozie
Having been non-status, FO, and GM on DL, the particular agent and your friendliness/attitude towards them matters more than status.
Great, thank you. I'll try calling them for sure. We are already taking a hit on the cruise cancellation- Princess will refund the balance of my money but not the initial deposit - so it would be nice to not pay the Delta fees as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.