Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have you curbed your flying? What could Delta offer to get you back in the air?

Old Mar 9, 20, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

For those that have curbed your flying due to the Corona virus what could Delta offer that may get you back in the air?

My 2 cents...
1. Bonus RDMs/MQMs like Delta was offering in 2010.
2. Reduced International D1 redemption rates.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:25 am

I did not have any trips planned anyway for the next month, so I have not necessarily curbed my flying, although I have postposed planning trips because I don't know what will be open and what will be closed and I don't want to fly somewhere for everything to be close and me to be quarantined on my return. I would be happy to take a trip though if it a) was incredibly cheap or b) they started offering mqm/mqd bonuses if you fly a minimum number of trips.
arguetaflyer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
I've curbed leisure purchases on DL. I normally would have bought some leisure commuting RDU-ORD for May and June, and a couple of long weekends (SAT AM to TUE PM trips) over the summer. Instead I'm waiting to see what Q2/Q3 work travel looks like with potential client disruptions, and buying RDU-MDW commuting on WN towards my A-List. My last DL purchase is for the first week of April, and if I didn't fly another DL revenue segment after that I would end up at Silver.

Not much that DL can do right now, if work travel craters I will give up my DL Plat for a while and wait to use my 4 RUC for confirmable transcons in 2020. I would want DL to be generous with reclaim challenges if this lasts within the US into Q3 or later.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hyatt Explorist
Half of my travel has been cut back. It would be great if they extend status for a year. However, I'm guessing most people are cutting back as well, so my upgrade chances would be the same LOL.
PeggyJM and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Hilton - Gold, Marriott - Dropped
My business travel has been cut back dramatically and that's out of my control.

I am looking to take a personal trip US-UK in April though. Hopefully on DL but other airlines are offering much better deals right now.

If this goes on I'll miss DM status this year for the first time in a decade.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'd like to see an either or type of offer. Either 1)those with status, but who wont requalify due to reduced travel, get some type of promo to help keep status. OR
2)those that have already requalified for status next year get some other type of promo (say extra RUC/GUC, etc...)
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt
I only had flights planned for April to Anaheim and May to NYC, but the CEO of my company has just made a stern request that all employees not travel for several months. I haven't canceled April yet.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:46 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
We can strill travel domestically. Both my trips to Japan have been cancelled and this will hurt as I was counting on these trips to help me get to DM again next year. I hope DL extends medallion qualification into next year. For the first time, I'm planning a MR to help with qualifying status.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem is that there isn't much DL can really do. It's not as though people who are prohibited from, encouraged not to, or are simply taking personal precautions, will purchase tickets because they are cheaper or DL throws an RDM their way.

Unlike 2007-09, carriers won;t simply cut prices to fill aircraft. Rather, they will reduce capacity to fill aircraft with people paying fares which sustain profitability (or less loss) and combine that with whatever bailout the government comes up with.

If it comes to the end of the year and there has been a significant hit, I am willing to bet that DL will do some kind of pro-rated status extension. That costs DL nothing and keeps the same customer base chugging when the COVID issues pass,.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
As of now I don't have any travel planned for the next few weeks. I may potentially do a leisure trip in late March and a business trip in early April, depending on how things trend.

The best thing Delta could do is to lower mileage costs close in - it could generate some incremental trips, plus the cost of cancelling mileage trips are a bit lower usually
BenA likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:32 am

Full refund or credit for future flights.
Bear4Asian and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Not worried, just want lower fares. Will take any sweeteners DL offers
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have not yet altered any of my travel, but the change fee waiver is a nice touch since it means I can change or cancel if the situation changes in the future.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Alaska is offering a 50% bonus EQM through April 11. They might extend it too.

But really companies themselves are limiting travel, so EQM isn't going to woo many passengers to fly that aren't already. This scheme is more a reward for those that do travel than an inducement.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
I booked a trip yesterday that the fare was about 60 percent of what it had been. Plenty of open parking spots at IND this afternoon and a light load to MSP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: