Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Come on Delta....Comparing Air Canada F Service to Delta's Lacking F

Old Mar 3, 20, 7:08 am
Original Poster

I was recently on a Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge flight in J class from Moncton to Toronto and the flight going was 2:15 and the flight coming back was 1:30 and on the outbound we had full hot meal service and on the return flight we had a light meal served on the flight. I was looking at my booking on my next Delta flight to go from Moncton to Myrtle Beach and on my Toronto to Atlanta flight we are just getting snack and drink service on board, I wish on that flight that Delta offered a full service in J class. I have flown Delta out of Portland to Atlanta outbound portion and LaGuradia to Atlanta and had full service round trip. Why not include the Toronto Atlanta flight to have a meal. I know itís a 1rst worl problem but itís just an observation that I had.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Delta PM
Why would Delta grant a meal on this flight? Itís about 740 miles, well under the 900 for meal service requirement.

NYC/ATL is an exception route that Delta competes on and therefore does offer a meal at certain times.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Can this thread get a more descriptive title and/or be merged with a relevant thread?
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:47 am

I agree that Delta should be able to offer a meal in first class but they choose not to. I gather they feel itís not needed in order for them to compete on this route.

If the OP feels that the meal is that important, they can choose to fly on Air Canada as theyíve done in the past. If other flyers do the same, Delta may adjust their offering at some point in order to remain competitive. If flyers donít adjust their behavior, why would Delta adjust theirs?

Just pointing out the obvious and how to potentially drive a change.
priyarainelle likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
I agree that Delta should be able to offer a meal in first class but they choose not to. I gather they feel itís not needed in order for them to compete on this route.

If the OP feels that the meal is that important, they can choose to fly on Air Canada as theyíve done in the past. If other flyers do the same, Delta may adjust their offering at some point in order to remain competitive. If flyers donít adjust their behavior, why would Delta adjust theirs?

Just pointing out the obvious and how to potentially drive a change.
I would add tell them what you booked on another airline and why.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1 View Post
Can this thread get a more descriptive title and/or be merged with a relevant thread?

SJC ORD LDR, MikeNYC1 and TheHorta like this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There must be 900 threads on FT about why one carrier or another does or does not serve a meal under circumstances where another does,. No need to start a new one.

There are four carriers serving YYZ-ATL nonstop. If the ticket price, schedule convenience, hard & soft product yield better value on another carrier for OP, that is what he ought to select.

DL does not hide the ball here. It is simply that the US market does not particularly value meals and thus, they are largely non-existent in steerage and peek up here and there in F/J.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There must be 900 threads on FT about why one carrier or another does or does not serve a meal under circumstances where another does,. No need to start a new one.

There are four carriers serving YYZ-ATL nonstop. If the ticket price, schedule convenience, hard & soft product yield better value on another carrier for OP, that is what he ought to select.

DL does not hide the ball here. It is simply that the US market does not particularly value meals and thus, they are largely non-existent in steerage and peek up here and there in F/J.
Indeed! When I fly this route, I just remember to pick up some food at the airport and bring on board with me. Problem solved
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP doesn't mention the times of flights with and without meals.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
Who books a flight for the meal? I just flew a Delta1, and trust me, the food was just food. Seat, and departure and arrival times are WAY more important to me
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Stephan Richard View Post
I was recently on a Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge flight in J class from Moncton to Toronto and the flight going was 2:15 and the flight coming back was 1:30 and on the outbound we had full hot meal service and on the return flight we had a light meal served on the flight. I was looking at my booking on my next Delta flight to go from Moncton to Myrtle Beach and on my Toronto to Atlanta flight we are just getting snack and drink service on board, I wish on that flight that Delta offered a full service in J class. I have flown Delta out of Portland to Atlanta outbound portion and LaGuradia to Atlanta and had full service round trip. Why not include the Toronto Atlanta flight to have a meal. I know itís a 1rst worl problem but itís just an observation that I had.
US Airlines have the worst meal windows in the world and Delta is no exception. 9/11 was used as a reason to remove meals from the majority of flights and since then they were never brought back, presumptively because of a lack of competition.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:35 am

The threshold for a meal in F on AC according to their website is 2 hours (presumably, this is block time, not flight time).
AA has a 700-mile threshold which is roughly 2 hours and thus similar to AC.
UA threshold is 2h20m (so slightly longer) which is about 750 - 850 miles
DL, as already mentioned, is 900 miles.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 3, 20 at 10:49 am
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Catskilltraveller View Post
Who books a flight for the meal? I just flew a Delta1, and trust me, the food was just food. Seat, and departure and arrival times are WAY more important to me
it depends on if you mostly fly US airlines or not. Look at the domestic first class food on Air Canada. If you were used to that, you would miss the meal.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K
Yes, a meal would be nice, but I'd trade that in for better on time departure/arrival and customer service any day!
Old Mar 3, 20, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President's Circle
I've always actually appreciated Delta's commitment to serving a meal on 900+ mile flights. When I did a status match with UA last year, it was a lot harder to predict which flights would and wouldnt have meals. Some 1000+ mile flights would only serve fruit if it was at a certain point of the day, which I've never experienced on Delta.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: