Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Come on Delta....Comparing Air Canada F Service to Delta's Lacking F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Come on Delta....Comparing Air Canada F Service to Delta's Lacking F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
I've always actually appreciated Delta's commitment to serving a meal on 900+ mile flights. When I did a status match with UA last year, it was a lot harder to predict which flights would and wouldnt have meals. Some 1000+ mile flights would only serve fruit if it was at a certain point of the day, which I've never experienced on Delta.
I realize this is true for all airlines and that first meals are always served in context of origination time zone, but I've always thought it was patently ridiculous that meals are not served after 8 PM on West-bound mid/transcon flights. They've gotten a bit better in the last year with warm snacks from 8-9 PM, but I find it annoying that a 9:05 PM departure to the West Coast - when it is 6 PM there and not even dinner-time yet - does not get meals. Even the snack basket seems pared down.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Can this thread get a more descriptive title and/or be merged with a relevant thread?
Done
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cre95
I agree that Delta should be able to offer a meal in first class but they choose not to. I gather they feel it’s not needed in order for them to compete on this route.

If the OP feels that the meal is that important, they can choose to fly on Air Canada as they’ve done in the past. If other flyers do the same, Delta may adjust their offering at some point in order to remain competitive. If flyers don’t adjust their behavior, why would Delta adjust theirs?

Just pointing out the obvious and how to potentially drive a change.
Also in general AC charges more for their F class. I truly like having a nonstop from AUS/SAT. However I cant justify the added cost even due to being nonstop.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by Catskilltraveller
Who books a flight for the meal? I just flew a Delta1, and trust me, the food was just food. Seat, and departure and arrival times are WAY more important to me

Totally agree. I turn down meals except for breakfast after a 9+ hr flight.

Who wants to eat airplane food?
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX

People that haven't had a chance to otherwise.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Why would Delta grant a meal on this flight? It’s about 740 miles, well under the 900 for meal service requirement.

NYC/ATL is an exception route that Delta competes on and therefore does offer a meal at certain times.
OP is effectively asking why Delta has set their meal service at 900 miles, when Air Canada offers on < 750 mile flights. Heck, LHR-AMS is 230 miles and BA serves a "meal" (it's small but more than a snack basket) in Club Europe (their European J). And I'd say the answer is because carriers and customers have different priorities.

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX

Plenty of us want to eat airplane food especially when the flight overlaps with normal eating habits. If I have a flight that's in air at 11:30am "body" time, it's hard to eat at 10:00am before boarding and waiting until landing isn't great either. I bring food, but if paying for F/J I'd like a meal to be included. There's enough precedence in the world that a newbie might not realize it either.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Plenty of us want to eat airplane food especially when the flight overlaps with normal eating habits. If I have a flight that's in air at 11:30am "body" time, it's hard to eat at 10:00am before boarding and waiting until landing isn't great either. I bring food, but if paying for F/J I'd like a meal to be included. There's enough precedence in the world that a newbie might not realize it either.
Agreed. Not everybody lives 30 minutes from the airport too, so 8:05 pm departure and no meal means I either eat dinner at 4pm or have to eat at the airport. With the premium cost of F you'd expect not to have to get ripped off on equally bad food on land.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Mar 3, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
We might as well as lament about the choice of Whisky served onboard... i.e. AC - JW Black Label versus DL - Dewar's Scotch White Label.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
I've always actually appreciated Delta's commitment to serving a meal on 900+ mile flights. When I did a status match with UA last year, it was a lot harder to predict which flights would and wouldnt have meals. Some 1000+ mile flights would only serve fruit if it was at a certain point of the day, which I've never experienced on Delta.
DL definitely has flights in the 900-1400 range that get nothing more than the snack basket, depending on time of day.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
DL definitely has flights in the 900-1400 range that get nothing more than the snack basket, depending on time of day.
Yes, the 130pm-4pm window when people apparently don't want to eat.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes, the 130pm-4pm window when people apparently don't want to eat.
Yes, that one is ridiculous especially if you've been changing time zones or just coming off a mid-morning flight. I also wish they would serve meals until 9pm. The evening DTW-SAT flight bounces around a bit but always leaves sometime between 8:05-8:30.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:17 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Wow people are pretty quick to bash the OP. This is no more petty than people's obsession with PDBs. The answer should be: Delta doesn't feel the need to compete with anyone on that route so they stick with their typical meal policy(period). Air Canada has a different idea on how to do things and so they do serve a meal. All this snark seems like a bit much.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Wow people are pretty quick to bash the OP. This is no more petty than people's obsession with PDBs. The answer should be: Delta doesn't feel the need to compete with anyone on that route so they stick with their typical meal policy(period). Air Canada has a different idea on how to do things and so they do serve a meal. All this snark seems like a bit much.
Where has anyone bashed the OP?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I read the title and had to laugh - A friend of mine who works for AC as a flight attendant recently flew Delta from YYZ-SLC round trip up front and was incredibly complimentary of Delta, including better food, nicer cabin and excellent flight attendants both ways. He said he was thoroughly impressed by the entire experience, even thought the baggage notifications were really cool. I do agree Delta could up their food offerings up front to be more inline with AA as far as flight times, but I say overall they have a better operation than AC or their domestic competition.
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Yes, that one is ridiculous especially if you've been changing time zones or just coming off a mid-morning flight. I also wish they would serve meals until 9pm. The evening DTW-SAT flight bounces around a bit but always leaves sometime between 8:05-8:30.
Yeah I normally book either MSP or JFK for SAT/AUS flights partially for this reason. The other aggravating one is SLC-SAT/AUS and v.v. one direction gets screwed, and due to schedule changes it regularly flips on which direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.