Wiki Posts
Search

My new world as a Silver (SM)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
My new world as a Silver (SM)

Well it was bound to happen eventually. Due to my health with Parkinson’s and leaving my 22-year-old stint with the government, I find myself relegated down to silver Medalion (SM) from being a 15 year platinum member. I could use your guys expertise in a couple of Delta questions which signed my new status.

1. I have a Delta AMEX reserve credit card, and I think it will get me alone into any sky club. However how can I get my mom in with me, I think it’s only for one person and then you have to pay. Not sure on the reserve card rules. Anyone? I usually travel solo, but it would be nice to know what my sky club options are now..

2. upgrades.. i’m gonna be on the bottom of the heap now for upgrades I would suspect, with all the other medallions out there. I mostly concerned with ability to get TATL/TPAC Upgrades. It looks like I’ll have to be redeeming upgrades with SkyMiles to I have a chance to sit up front. I normally go in and out of LHR.. but in my new position as a SM, my options are now a bit fuzzy.

3. Fast track on landing at LHR. My gait it’s good and bad, it’s hard to tell when they switch. I don’t always need a wheelchair, but there are plenty of times and I pop in extra pill so I’ve got the energy and light movement to get me through immigration and customs. i’m flying in premium select across the pond in early May, what’s the chance I can get a fast track card from the onboard Flight crew? I know that usually only people sitting in business get these. But by explaining my situation to the FA, is there any chance of getting one to go around immigration which will be hell on my legs.

Also does anyone have an online guide / PDFs dealing with the E gafes and procedures? I found some information but it seemed dated and fragmented..

thanks everyone happy travels 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited by heckler; Mar 6, 2020 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL Amex Reserve now comes with 2 free guest passes (they should have appeared in your online wallet). After that, the price is $39 per guest for up to two guests. As far as upgrades, yes, you'll be at the bottom for domestic upgrades, but not even Diamonds qualify for comp upgrades on TPAC/TATL, so it doesn't really matter there. Mileage upgrade awards on TPAC/TATL will require a K or higher fare or a Premium Select fare. DL no longer offer Mileage upgrade awards on domestic or flights to/from South America, but generally offers variable cash/mileage upgrades on these. If you are buying well in advance, it's often cheaper to pay up to FC at time of purchase (which can also be done with miles) on domestic routes.
volabam likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Fast trak

I got fast trak for myself and my husband while flying in Comfort about a year ago. I just asked the person who was serving us. She looked doubtful but said she would try. Later, she delivered the passes to me , discreetly, so not everyone in Comfort knew😁. However, just so you know, immigration in Heathrow was still a bear. It took us at least an hour. This may have changed as there were many complaints. Maybe folks who fly there often can give better inf.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL Amex Reserve now comes with 2 free guest passes (they should have appeared in your online wallet). After that, the price is $39 per guest for up to two guests. As far as upgrades, yes, you'll be at the bottom for domestic upgrades, but not even Diamonds qualify for comp upgrades on TPAC/TATL, so it doesn't really matter there. Mileage upgrade awards on TPAC/TATL will require a K or higher fare or a Premium Select fare..
Yeah I remember the not too recent past where we all would book a YBM fare, then go back to DL and try to find an upgrade which we could upgrade with 25,000 sky miles
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:31 am
Original Poster

In my experience, the security lines have been less when the later banks of i tntercontinental flights come in around 11-1200. The bulk of the big planes come in during the 0600-0900 timeframe
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heckler
Yeah I remember the not too recent past where we all would book a YBM fare, then go back to DL and try to find an upgrade which we could upgrade with 25,000 sky miles
They now allow HQK fares in addition to YBM fares, but they will cost more miles to upgrade than YBM. Premium Select fares also qualify and can be less than an HQK fare and will generally require fewer miles than HQK fares.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
if you are going to LHR, you should book on VS and try to upgrade with miles. I think it's only 25k or 35k to upgrade from premium economy to upper class. there are multiple threads about it.

also immigration shouldn't be too bad now that Americans can use the e-gates. last time I was through, the fast track line was longer than the e-gates
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to ask folks, does the reserve card from Amex get me into the virgin club at LHR T3 too? Or just the Delta owned and operated clubs?

i’m also flying in premium select, one step down from Delta one seating, FYI".. hopefully I can dish out some miles to upgrade into the biz cabin

DL currently has flight 52 from Atlanta to London as an A350 so that should be interesting!

cheers!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by heckler
I forgot to ask folks, does the reserve card from Amex get me into the virgin club at LHR T3 too? Or just the Delta owned and operated clubs?

i’m also flying in premium select, one step down from Delta one seating, FYI".. hopefully I can dish out some miles to upgrade into the biz cabin

DL currently has flight 52 from Atlanta to London as an A350 so that should be interesting!

cheers!
Amex won’t get you into the clubhouse.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Check your PM's
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If you are connecting at JFK or BOS, look into the new LGW flight in PE that will launch I think later this year. You can buy Fast Track for landing at Gatwick in advance for I think 7 GBP. I did it on a VS MCO-LGW and it was really easy. The time you save makes up for the time to train in from Gatwick to either Victoria or Blackfriars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.