Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I want to make Delta platinum this year. Suggestions welcome.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to make Delta platinum this year. Suggestions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:34 am

My opinion: Premium Select offers the best ratio of MQM's (and skymiles if you book on non-delta code-share flight numbers) for money. The service (especially on Delta) is also many steps above normal economy.

E.g. from MCO to Tokyo in PS: approx 21k miles for approx USD1000
https://www.google.de/flights?hl=de#...;sc:p;sd:1;t:f

From MCO to CPH in PS: approx 16k miles for approx USD1050

I have no idea about MQD's as I'm based in Europe. At least here there are often very good deals available:

From BUD to LAX (via AMS and SEA) in PS: approx 20k miles for approx USD676

In basic economy (book AF or KL codeshare so you can select seats, or add a hotel night on expedia to maximise skymiles) transatlantic flights start at approx USD 350 return. E.g. NUE to LAX for approx 13k MQM's and approx USD 395
https://www.google.de/flights?hl=de#...91*2.EUR.35891

Lastly, I recommend travelling mid-week and shoulder season: Flights are less full which makes the experience much more pleasant and hotels are cheaper (in shoulder season in non-business travel cities).

If you are flying just for the miles and status then just spend a few days at each city and head back. Otherwise if I was in your position (retired with lots of time free and looking to maximise my 5k annual travel budget) I would fly to a cheap gateway city, spend a few days there and then use the skymiles to explore the region. E.g. fly to Copenhagen in PS for USD1000, spend a few days there, then 10k miles to fly to Barcelona (one-way), a couple of nights on a cruise ship to Italy, then fly back (either using miles to get to Copenhagen or looking for an open jaw flight from somewhere else back to Orlando if the price is right). Using skymiles on partner airlines can be good value - e.g. one-way in business class from Tokyo to Bali for 45k miles is 7 hours in a lie-flat seat, but check the price in dollars first.

Have fun!
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Gynob001
Good question-Moneywise may not be wise as there are plentuy of cheaper flights to wherever I want to go. Besides, Star Alliance seems toi fly to locations I do fly frequently-e.g. Washington DC. There is no direct MCO to DCA.
But, for me the advantages are mostly to satisfy my ego. I like boarding earlier, choosing seats, upgrades, using the lounge, etc. Believe it or not. I had an axe to grind with another major airlinebut have been patronizing Delta for the past 25 years or more. I had minor silly complaints but overall, I think Delta has satisfied my expectations! Flew United/Lufthansa to India and didn't like it a bit.
I think if i was in your shoes I would get lounge access with credit card, and pay for either C+ or first class for everything else you want, rather than doing multiple mileage runs to get Platinum.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think the cruise ship to Italy is a good idea right now. I'd also be reluctant to commit to Japan (as well as Korea or China) right now.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by 8420PR
My opinion: Premium Select offers the best ratio of MQM's (and skymiles if you book on non-delta code-share flight numbers) for money. The service (especially on Delta) is also many steps above normal economy.

E.g. from MCO to Tokyo in PS: approx 21k miles for approx USD1000
https://www.google.de/flights?hl=de#flt=MCO./m/07dfk.2020-04-22*/m/07dfk.MCO.2020-04-29;c:EUR;e:1;a:SKYTEAM*SKYTEAM;sc;sd:1;t:f

From MCO to CPH in PS: approx 16k miles for approx USD1050
https://www.google.de/flights?hl=de#flt=MCO./m/01lfy.2020-04-22*/m/01lfy.MCO.2020-04-29;c:EUR;e:1;a:SKYTEAM*SKYTEAM;sc;sd:1;t:f

I have no idea about MQD's as I'm based in Europe. At least here there are often very good deals available:

From BUD to LAX (via AMS and SEA) in PS: approx 20k miles for approx USD676
https://www.google.de/flights?hl=de#flt=BUD.LAX.2020-04-15*LAX.BUD.2020-04-22;c:EUR;e:1;a:SKYTEAM*SKYTEAM;sc;sd:1;t:f

In basic economy (book AF or KL codeshare so you can select seats, or add a hotel night on expedia to maximise skymiles) transatlantic flights start at approx USD 350 return. E.g. NUE to LAX for approx 13k MQM's and approx USD 395
https://www.google.de/flights?hl=de#...91*2.EUR.35891

Lastly, I recommend travelling mid-week and shoulder season: Flights are less full which makes the experience much more pleasant and hotels are cheaper (in shoulder season in non-business travel cities).

If you are flying just for the miles and status then just spend a few days at each city and head back. Otherwise if I was in your position (retired with lots of time free and looking to maximise my 5k annual travel budget) I would fly to a cheap gateway city, spend a few days there and then use the skymiles to explore the region. E.g. fly to Copenhagen in PS for USD1000, spend a few days there, then 10k miles to fly to Barcelona (one-way), a couple of nights on a cruise ship to Italy, then fly back (either using miles to get to Copenhagen or looking for an open jaw flight from somewhere else back to Orlando if the price is right). Using skymiles on partner airlines can be good value - e.g. one-way in business class from Tokyo to Bali for 45k miles is 7 hours in a lie-flat seat, but check the price in dollars first.

Have fun!
Good information here. You might also look into cheap business class flights on China Eastern (MU) from JFK to SIN. Of course the coronavirus will have a big impact on this option. But you would get a ton of MQDs out of it.

OPS
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
I thought DL AMEX Plat was no longer 10k MQM and they changed it to RDM instead on Jan 31?

Maybe read that wrong.

Regardless if you’ve got the waiver there are going to be a ton of cheap flights to Japan and Asia generally over the next few weeks. If you aren’t concerned with coronavirus that’ll be an easy pathway.
It's the opposite. The Delta AMEX Plat used to earn 10k MQMs and 10k RDMs when you reached $25k in spending. As of Jan 31, the RDMs went away.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Book Premium Economy through Air France to Asia (assuming it doesn't get cancelled with Corona). It'll route through Europe taking the long way around. I usually fly out of YYZ and get about 29,000 MQM per trip.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Everyone's schedules are up in the air now, so it's really hard to plan your Asia trips. Now Europe is catching up, I think France is about to cross the 1000 patient mark, so the backup trips thru Europe are in jeopardy as well. On the other hand, the airlines have a nice cancellation policy for trips booked this month, I'm thinking about planning some business travel for the rest of the year now, and if the meetings get cancelled, there's some recourse. Problem with bookings near the end of the year, or early next year, is that the rescheduled trips have to be done by May of 2021.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Book Premium Economy through Air France to Asia (assuming it doesn't get cancelled with Corona). It'll route through Europe taking the long way around. I usually fly out of YYZ and get about 29,000 MQM per trip.
Same for me in PE, but I travel YUL-CDG-PVG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.