DL gates in DEN

Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Wouldnt be surprised if DL do some gate squatting much like they are at DAL.

I'm not opining as to an opinion re: who's entitled to the gates, just noting that squatting has worked well before for them
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by A321neo
Wouldnt be surprised if DL do some gate squatting much like they are at DAL.

I'm not opining as to an opinion re: who's entitled to the gates, just noting that squatting has worked well before for them
Delta is squatting on gates at an airport they don't have a direct lease for gates at?

How exactly do they do that, if you don't mind me asking?
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
Interesting read! I’m hoping that DL still maintains the same amount of gates in DEN that they currently do (6 gates). Will be interesting to see what happens.
FWIW Delta actually requested an 7th gate if I am remembering correctly.
You certainly wont see Delta lose gates/leave DEN etc. The airport forcing them to do so would be incredibly illegal.
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I don't think that UA will be able gain control of all of the existing gates right away. I could see them getting the new gates first and once the C Concourse extension opens up, DL will probably have to move back to C and UA can then take control over the existing gates. They're just isn't really enough room on the other side of A with AA and F9 for DL to stay on A if UA does indeed get existing gates on A.
While this could be what happens its pretty unlikely. I just can't see Delta giving up its club it just built, nor can I see Delta keeping a club on A while being on C gates.
and I'm not sure there is a place for a club on C.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The nice part about DL being at the A gates is one can take the sky bridge and go through the TSA there rather than the usual gauntlet and take the train.
That checkpoint lacks PreCheck

EDIT: Correction. Per another FT's later post, PreCheck is there until late morning.
eneq likes this.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Feb 23, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Delta is squatting on gates at an airport they don't have a direct lease for gates at?

How exactly do they [squat], if you don't mind me asking?
At DAL, they have a lease to a gate, which is contested based on various legal grounds. Without opining on their merits (as you seem to do), this is analogous to what will happen at DEN. They have a lease. They get asked to move to accomodate another airline. They dont move. A lawsuit will ensue.

You can take your arrogance and shove it out a Southwest window.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
That checkpoint lacks PreCheck
Not true, it just closes usually by late morning. There is no Clear there though.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by safari ari
Not true, it just closes usually by late morning. There is no Clear there though.
Oh, sorry. I don't live in Denver and must not have had to fly there in the morning.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Pretty unlikely Delta will wind up with fewer gates. Don’t know the plan, it is be shocked if there were fewer than six gates for Delta at the end.
I said might. My point was to reassure that current flights will still continue, even if need to juggle times a bit due to only having say five gates.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by safari ari
Are you sure about this? I've not once seen precheck available there, and its not listed on the TSA website either.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I said might. My point was to reassure that current flights will still continue, even if need to juggle times a bit due to only having say five gates.
I can't the city adding 39 gates and expelling anyone.

The status quo on A has variability since it handles all international arrivals (excluding airports with border preclearance).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I can't the city adding 39 gates and expelling anyone.

The status quo on A has variability since it handles all international arrivals (excluding airports with border preclearance).
Correct, no one is going to be expelled, no one is going to lose flights. However the number of gates they get to use may be different. (I doubt it will be less, but if it is it'll be because airline can accommodate current flights using one less gate. They wont lose a gate if it results in them having to cut flights)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by eneq
Are you sure about this? I've not once seen precheck available there, and its not listed on the TSA website either.
It's there, just open only early morning. I've certainly used it for early morning flights.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule

Put in your day and hours, you'll see when the bridge PreCheck is open. Try Friday, 8-9 AM.
safari ari likes this.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Feb 24, 2020 at 8:17 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It's there, just open only early morning. I've certainly used it for early morning flights.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule

Put in your day and hours, you'll see when the bridge PreCheck is open. Try Friday, 8-9 AM.
No wonder I've never seen it. It only seems to be open a couple days in the week.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
There is a lot of ambiguity in how the DEN concourse expansions and gate allocations are going to play out since UA and WN have basically requested as many of the new gates as possible.
The phasing and timing may factor in how this all plays out.

Short answer is that DL is not going to reduce their operation in DEN. The airport isn't dumb enough to say sorry DL no gates left for you.
They are likely either to move to another section of A or they may move back out to C. Nothing has been made public,
The SkyClub is really a non-issue too. On the first hand, while functional.,its a pretty spartan and generic club as it is now and its using one-third of what was originally to be a CO Presidents Club that has been split three ways into an Admirals Club, USO Club, and DL SkyClub with shared restrooms for all three.
If DL is forced to relocate, part of the negotiation is likely to be for the airport (and perhaps indirectly UA or WN) to pay all the relocation costs, and build-out of a new SkyClub if say DL has to move out to C.

DEN airport is kind of a hot mess with all the construction these days. The train overcrowding situation has gotten pretty bad at peak times.
As said, the A Bridge Precheck is only open in the mornings. Supposedly once all the construction is done, the A security checkpoint is going to move to the terminal side of the bridge as always have PreCheck open. That is still a little while out and who knows if DL will still be on A then, or booted out to C.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
The Cranky Flier Blog had a post on the expansion a few weeks ago:

https://crankyflier.com/2020/01/13/s...tes-in-denver/
Here's an airport map showing the 8 common use gates mentioned in that Cranky article. I'm guessing these gates aren't utilized as heavily as they could be, but it's hard to see how both DL and F9 would be able to accommodate all their flights there along with the other airlines that use them.

http://cnee.colostate.edu/wp-content...EN_InfoMap.pdf
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
There is a lot of ambiguity in how the DEN concourse expansions and gate allocations are going to play out since UA and WN have basically requested as many of the new gates as possible.
The phasing and timing may factor in how this all plays out.

Short answer is that DL is not going to reduce their operation in DEN. The airport isn't dumb enough to say sorry DL no gates left for you.
They are likely either to move to another section of A or they may move back out to C. Nothing has been made public,
The SkyClub is really a non-issue too. On the first hand, while functional.,its a pretty spartan and generic club as it is now and its using one-third of what was originally to be a CO Presidents Club that has been split three ways into an Admirals Club, USO Club, and DL SkyClub with shared restrooms for all three.
If DL is forced to relocate, part of the negotiation is likely to be for the airport (and perhaps indirectly UA or WN) to pay all the relocation costs, and build-out of a new SkyClub if say DL has to move out to C.

DEN airport is kind of a hot mess with all the construction these days. The train overcrowding situation has gotten pretty bad at peak times.
As said, the A Bridge Precheck is only open in the mornings. Supposedly once all the construction is done, the A security checkpoint is going to move to the terminal side of the bridge as always have PreCheck open. That is still a little while out and who knows if DL will still be on A then, or booted out to C.
DL use to have a Crown Room Club in C (I also believe AA once has an AC there as well) in the past so I doubt club space is a major issue here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.