Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ATL boarding process Thursday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by A Lyford
If only the WN PAX would check their bags instead of carrying them on. Boarding is delayed because most PAX will not obey the FA's instructions to select a seat and stand in front of it to keep the aisles clear. WN gets checked luggage to the baggage claim carousels quickly, and most PAX want a bathroom break upon deplaning anyhow. In the unlikely event that a bag isn't on the carousel when you arrive in baggage claim (~0.3%), WN will have it delivered free.
The chances of a bag being lost and gone forever are minuscule with the barcoded tags currently in use. The freedom of not having to wrangle a spinner through the concourse, jetway, and airplane aisle seriously reduces stress. Leaving a laptop or paperback in the airport bar/restaurant is less likely. A soft laptop case with only the essentials: laptop/tablet, meds, glasses, and a ziplock of one change of clothes (a water bottle on a carabiner attached to the handle) makes for stress-free travel.
Naysayers should try it once before insisting that they "save so much time not having to go through baggage claim".
Even with the extra time of finding that "perfect" seat, in my experience WN has boarded flights faster than WN. I have been clogged up many times boarding a DL flight on the jetbridge, has only happened to me a couple of times on WN.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I was sitting in 13E ATL-DCA last week on the A321. That the seat in C+ in the exit row next to the FA jump seat. I had a great conversation with the FA about boarding. She showed me how the FA’s now use an app to communicate with the GA during boarding and let them know when the overhead bins are full. I thought it was an interesting tool.

She also told me the boarding mess is a direct result of what medallions and high value travelers have repeatedly said in surveys, they want to board first. I tend to agree with her. She asked me if I recalled surveys about boarding 2-3 years ago, and I do. She said DL did a big study and Medallions overwhelmingly want to be first, regardless of seat.

The GAs also have an "estimator" on their computers. I got to the gate towards the end of boarding, as I am apt to do, and the GA tried to check my bag. I asked if the FAs had sent him a message and he said no, but the estimator told him bins were full. He was very nice and agreed to let me try to find space (and run back up the jetbridge if there wasn't any). I asked the FAs at the door, and sure enough there was plenty of bin space on board.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ekozie
Though DL had permanent hardstands at LGA for as long as I can remember until G opened
FWIW, there was at least a little overlap, as I flew through LGA on the day G opened and arrived at and departed from a hardstand.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by emma dog
Maybe Delta doesn’t really care about boarding in 30
minutes vs 40 under most circumstances.

For most planes, it doesn’t change their utilization significantly and probably doesn’t change their labor costs either since the GA and ramp crew are the only ones being paid an hourly rate during loading and unloading.
It does change the PDB likelihood, though.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I was sitting in 13E ATL-DCA last week on the A321. That the seat in C+ in the exit row next to the FA jump seat. I had a great conversation with the FA about boarding. She showed me how the FA’s now use an app to communicate with the GA during boarding and let them know when the overhead bins are full. I thought it was an interesting tool.

She also told me the boarding mess is a direct result of what medallions and high value travelers have repeatedly said in surveys, they want to board first. I tend to agree with her. She asked me if I recalled surveys about boarding 2-3 years ago, and I do. She said DL did a big study and Medallions overwhelmingly want to be first, regardless of seat.
With the competition for overhead space, and the general failure to enforce carry-on limitations, this will remain the prevailing attitude.

However, depending upon how Covid-19 progresses, the allure of FC boarding first, followed by an entire plane-load of potential carriers streaming thru the FC cabin, may tarnish.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
With the competition for overhead space, and the general failure to enforce carry-on limitations, this will remain the prevailing attitude.
Agreed. I would love to board last. But I don't want to board last if it means my carry-on isn't stowed near me or has to get gate checked.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by ethernal
Agreed. I would love to board last. But I don't want to board last if it means my carry-on isn't stowed near me or has to get gate checked.
So I told the FA if they were to close the bins in F and C+ and board from the back of the plane I would have no problem getting on later in the boarding. She said they asked people about that and people said the response was still board first. The boarding zones are also a product of revenue management. I'm sure DL is playing the numbers.

I miss the good old days of boarding from the back of the plane. I also miss the L2 door on the 757. The A321 is a long airplane and it can take forever to complete the boarding process.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
So I told the FA if they were to close the bins in F and C+ and board from the back of the plane I would have no problem getting on later in the boarding. She said they asked people about that and people said the response was still board first. The boarding zones are also a product of revenue management. I'm sure DL is playing the numbers.

I miss the good old days of boarding from the back of the plane. I also miss the L2 door on the 757. The A321 is a long airplane and it can take forever to complete the boarding process.
The A321 takes forever to board. It’s one reason I will avoid that aircraft if others are available.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

Mostly because 'closing the bins' still isn't good enough. If I am one of the last 25% to sit in C+, there will not be a place for my bag. The new "bookshelf" bins definitely help here. Even in F, without the bookshelf bins, space always ran out in the last 2-3 seats. Closing the bins doesn't solve the fact that there isn't enough overhead bin space.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: most of them
I've flown DL several times in the last few months, mostly on the A321s. Boarding does take forever. And when they send me a survey the next day I always point that out. I still like the a/c compared to the others though.

I was in Australia a couple of years ago and flew Virgin Australia several times. They board using the front and rear doors. So they can board a full aircraft in 15 mins. If you're sitting in the back you do have to walk outside and up the stairs though.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I've flown DL several times in the last few months, mostly on the A321s. Boarding does take forever. And when they send me a survey the next day I always point that out. I still like the a/c compared to the others though.

I was in Australia a couple of years ago and flew Virgin Australia several times. They board using the front and rear doors. So they can board a full aircraft in 15 mins. If you're sitting in the back you do have to walk outside and up the stairs though.
Isn't it a much better system? Did you know, some people here say the VA method should be a cultural shock to you that, as an American, you could never accept back home?

You can choose to not take the stairs if you want... but given the choice between waiting and taking stairs most people are happy to use stairs.
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Back on the subject of ATL boarding, I noticed when departing on Saturday night that almost all of the A Gates have had most of the boarding pillars removed. Most gates only had 2 pillars left with every gate having a First/DM pillar and either a C+ or SP Pillar. It sounds like the pillars will be going away soon.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Back on the subject of ATL boarding, I noticed when departing on Saturday night that almost all of the A Gates have had most of the boarding pillars removed. Most gates only had 2 pillars left with every gate having a First/DM pillar and either a C+ or SP Pillar. It sounds like the pillars will be going away soon.
That's a shame... the pillars did a good job redirecting the gate lice.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by emma dog
That's a shame... the pillars did a good job redirecting the gate lice.
It actually made things better on our flight. Although we were boarding out of Gate A1 which has a larger hold-room, everyone that wasn’t in FC or C+ just stayed seated or stood away from the gate. What I found to be weird was some gates on A had a SP pillar instead of a C+ pillar which could cause issues for boarding as C+ boards before SKY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.