Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using GUC on AF - Consolidated Threads 2020 Onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using GUC on AF - Consolidated Threads 2020 Onward

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
If the new email title says "Your Flight Receipt", that indicates a reissue and you're good to go. (If it says "Delta Reservation Itinerary" that generally does not correlate with a reissue)
Yes, it's "Your Flight Receipt".

Thanks again to you Flyertalk members for educating and helping me avoid potentially an aggravating problem down the road. This forum is so helpful, inspiring, and entertaining. I look forward to enjoying my morning coffee with you guys every day.
jmgriffin likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
If the new email title says "Your Flight Receipt", that indicates a reissue and you're good to go. (If it says "Delta Reservation Itinerary" that generally does not correlate with a reissue)
Some Global agents are now being trained to edit the coupons on the ticket. Not sure why, takes much longer. It leaves ticket number the same, but reflecting correctly.
greenwichgolf likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Some Global agents are now being trained to edit the coupons on the ticket. Not sure why, takes much longer. It leaves ticket number the same, but reflecting correctly.
So does this mean that it's now ok to just get the "Delta Reservation Itinerary" email and not the "Your Flight Receipt" email? I only got the "Delta Reservation Itinerary" one, but the reservation is now showing that I'm out of "V" space and now in "Z" space. The GUCs in my wallet are also now closing as Closed.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
So does this mean that it's now ok to just get the "Delta Reservation Itinerary" email and not the "Your Flight Receipt" email? I only got the "Delta Reservation Itinerary" one, but the reservation is now showing that I'm out of "V" space and now in "Z" space. The GUCs in my wallet are also now closing as Closed.
Likely they reissued ticket, but just didn't send the email. If GUC are closed, then they had to have reissued ticket. They don't show that till reissue happens.
jmgriffin likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Likely they reissued ticket, but just didn't send the email. If GUC are closed, then they had to have reissued ticket. They don't show that till reissue happens.
Thanks! While I never received an email, I was able to look in the My Receipts section of the website and found where the ticket had been reissued with new ticket numbers.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 1:39 pm

If I see award space on the Air France website for a particular flight in business class, is that any indication that there might be upgrade space on the same flight? Does it "help" if the AF website lists a fare basis code starting with Z? That should mean there is Z space, right? (And conversely, would an award space with fare basis code starting with O on AF website mean no upgrade space?)
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:19 am

Seeking advice here... I want to burn some GUC's before the transition to the new rules, looking to fly US - CDG - MLE (have to burn down the Marriott stash before the devaluation too!). Any current data points for an experience with the least amount of heartburn?

Book direct with AF with Z available, then call delta to apply GUC's? (I'd like to take advantage of MQD's )
Call into delta and have them book and apply GUC's in the same transaction? (Flights are not available for purchase on delta)
Is booking with skymiles still an option? (again not available online)
Will booking with an OTA cause any issues? Thinking of using some UR points
I'll be booking out towards EOS, any concerns with IROPS cancelations, etc. once GUC is issued?
Anything else to be aware of?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by TheDrPhil
Seeking advice here... I want to burn some GUC's before the transition to the new rules, looking to fly US - CDG - MLE (have to burn down the Marriott stash before the devaluation too!). Any current data points for an experience with the least amount of heartburn?

Book direct with AF with Z available, then call delta to apply GUC's? (I'd like to take advantage of MQD's )
Call into delta and have them book and apply GUC's in the same transaction? (Flights are not available for purchase on delta)
I'll be booking out towards EOS, any concerns with IROPS cancelations, etc. once GUC is issued?
Second to the OTA question. Looking to book via an OTA if I can use the GUC.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM

1. and 2. Are doable (booking via DL or AF)
3. No, you cannot apply a GUC on a mileage ticket on flights op by AFKL
4. You could try and use the risk free cancel if it doesn’t work. DL might charge you 50 bucks for taking over the ticket, but they may not even do that.
5. I don’t know if anyone can predict what’s going to happen, and there are mixed reports of what happens when a GUC upgraded flight is canceled. YMMV.
TheDrPhil likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Second to the OTA question. Looking to book via an OTA if I can use the GUC.
As long as not a BULK fare, it's ok.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:27 am

Any tips (other than HUCA) to get the agents to see the Z class availability? I can book direct with AF and see the Z fare class, but agents say they can't "see" it on their end.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:20 am

Well it was a bit of an adventure but I got the GUCs confirmed. It took 5 calls into the DM line and about 2 hours. The first 3 calls in, the agents just told me there was no Z fare class available on the itinerary I wanted. (I had confirmed there was via EF and a dummy booking on AF). Called in a 4th time, again was told they couldn't see the Z space but this time the magic words were "can you check with global reservations?" (Thanks to some info I found upthread here). That was the trick, they were able to see the space - I quickly booked direct on AF while on the phone and the agent called over to the AF desk. After about an hour hold, I was given a new confirmation number and saw that the first leg of my flight was showing Z in the delta app. Thought I was good to go and hung up.

Double checked things in the morning and saw only the IAD-CDG legs on IAD-CDG-MLE RT were upgraded to Z, the other legs were still showing economy class. Called back in for the 5th time and asked what happened. The agent said that I needed to explicitly ask to have each individual leg upgraded... Never had that issue before, was always able to upgrade by one-way direction. Also found out if you book with AF, and you aren't in one of the upgrade eligible fare classes, they won't tell you that - you'll just get "upgrade space is not available on your itinerary". So in theory, there could be Z available, but you might not be in an upgradable base fare.

Hope that helps out others in the same situation trying to burn some GUCs before devaluation
kobyjones21 and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Well it was a bit of an adventure but I got the GUCs confirmed. It took 5 calls into the DM line and about 2 hours. The first 3 calls in, the agents just told me there was no Z fare class available on the itinerary I wanted. (I had confirmed there was via EF and a dummy booking on AF). Called in a 4th time, again was told they couldn't see the Z space but this time the magic words were "can you check with global reservations?" (Thanks to some info I found upthread here). That was the trick, they were able to see the space - I quickly booked direct on AF while on the phone and the agent called over to the AF desk. After about an hour hold, I was given a new confirmation number and saw that the first leg of my flight was showing Z in the delta app. Thought I was good to go and hung up.

Double checked things in the morning and saw only the IAD-CDG legs on IAD-CDG-MLE RT were upgraded to Z, the other legs were still showing economy class. Called back in for the 5th time and asked what happened. The agent said that I needed to explicitly ask to have each individual leg upgraded... Never had that issue before, was always able to upgrade by one-way direction. Also found out if you book with AF, and you aren't in one of the upgrade eligible fare classes, they won't tell you that - you'll just get "upgrade space is not available on your itinerary". So in theory, there could be Z available, but you might not be in an upgradable base fare.

Hope that helps out others in the same situation trying to burn some GUCs before devaluation
Till Feb 1, all AF fare classes are upgradeable. All DL fares class but E also are upgradeable for AF metal.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:27 am

Till Feb 1, all AF fare classes are upgradeable. All DL fares class but E also are upgradeable for AF metal.
So on Delta's website, the T&C says:

"For travel on Air France-operated flights marketed by Air France and booked in Y, B, M, K, H, L, Q, T, N, R, or V class, customers can upgrade into A class (Premium Economy) or Z class (Business Class)"

There are some lower end economy fares missing from this list like G,X,E. I didn't catch it and on my AF operated/marketed booking I had a X fare on the return. I ended up paying a small fare difference to "upgrade" to an eligible fare class (N) so the GUC was able to be applied.

... however, it doesn't matter in two weeks anyway and a big YMMV
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM
I had success using GUCs on AF. The agent had no clue how to do it, but to his credit called the support desk instead of telling me it was impossible. I was on the phone (mostly on hold) for almost two hours (which feels crazy that's what it takes to use these instruments). That said, I have reissued ticket receipts confirming Z class on the AF leg on what was a very inexpensive ticket, so I guess a win is a win.
DCAhome likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.