Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using GUC on AF - Consolidated Threads 2020 Onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I thought it was possible to apply GUCs on Air France & KLM flights, but Delta Twitter said that it wasn't possible because Delta #. Is this correct?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Whether that is correct depends on you are talking about Air France or KLM, as they have different GUC application rules.

Check the Wiki here: The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Delta Twitter may be correct but not for the reasons given. To upgrade on AF metal (regardless of DL or AF marketing), you need to have a Y, B, or M fare and even then you can only upgrade to PE. If you're in a premium economy fare (P, A, or G on DL-marketed or W, S on AF marketed), you can upgrade to business (O class).

KLM is a different story and you almost always want/need DL flight #'s.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeikka
I thought it was possible to apply GUCs on Air France & KLM flights, but Delta Twitter said that it wasn't possible because Delta #. Is this correct?
Direct quote from DL. "For Air France-operated flights marketed by either Delta, KLM, or Air France, Y, B, or M fare can upgrade into A class (Premium Voyageur class). In addition, customers booked in an Air France-marketed and operated W or S class as well as customers booked in an Air France-operated, Delta-marketed P, A, or G class can upgrade to O class (Affaires or Business Class)"

Link for more information:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

AF flights are near impossible for GUC upgrade for a price that justifies using the GUC. By the time you pay the cost, you might as well have purchased an advanced business class fare (Z). Good luck though.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Further details are required (what are you trying to upgrade from/to, what booking class...)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:28 am
Original Poster

I havePremium Economy A fare on Delta marketed, Air France operated flight. So,

I found this on Delta Website:
"In addition, customers booked in an Air France-marketed and operated W or S class as well as customers booked in an Air France-operated, Delta-marketed P, A, or G class can upgrade to O class (Affaires or Business Class)."
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond

"In addition, customers booked in an Air France-marketed and operated W or S class as well as customers booked in an Air France-operated, Delta-marketed P, A, or G class can upgrade to O class (Affaires or Business Class)."
Your ticket # begin with 006 or 057 ?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Your ticket # begin with 006 or 057 ?

His ticket begins with 006/DL.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Follow-up. I sent a follow-up public tweet to Delta. They acknowledged that indeed GUCs are possible, and they checked the availability. They did find availability on the return (which is on KLM), but not on the outbound AF flight. I think I won't chase the outbound upgrade anymore, since it's short night flight.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Follow-up. I sent a follow-up public tweet to Delta. They acknowledged that indeed GUCs are possible, and they checked the availability. They did find availability on the return (which is on KLM), but not on the outbound AF flight. I think I won't chase the outbound upgrade anymore, since it's short night flight.
How did you get Premium Economy on KLM? They don't have any aircraft with it yet.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The issue is getting O inventory on the AF segment that they also make available to DL... that is notoriously difficult to come by.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernCanada
AF flights are near impossible for GUC upgrade for a price that justifies using the GUC. By the time you pay the cost, you might as well have purchased an advanced business class fare (Z). Good luck though.
Seems like you can upgrade from reasonably-priced premium economy tickets, no? I agree that Y, M, B fares are almost always going to be as much as a discount business ticket but it seems like basically all premium economy fare buckets are upgrade-eligible.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jordyn
Seems like you can upgrade from reasonably-priced premium economy tickets, no? I agree that Y, M, B fares are almost always going to be as much as a discount business ticket but it seems like basically all premium economy fare buckets are upgrade-eligible.
The lowest PE fare class isnt. Also YMB dont get you into business, only into PE.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jordyn
For AF-marketed, it has to be W or S, meaning that the cheapest AF PE class "A" cannot be upgraded. However, there's an advantage to DL-marketed flights, which can be upgraded from P, A, or G, with G being the equivalent of AF "A" class. I checked a random date and DL G was $1200 vs $2000 for AF S. This doesn't solve "O" inventory availability, or the other downside of AF that only the US-Paris TATL segment can be upgraded, unlike KL or VS where you can upgrade systemwide.
ebayj likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence

My wife and I had paid PE tickets FRA-CDG-IAD last December (W fare, bought through Delta). We could not upgrade them to J, because inventory never became available, despite 20+ empty J seats on the CDG-IAD leg.

As it turned out, our FRA-CDG leg was a victim of the French general strike; Delta rebooked us onto a FRA-ATL-IAD routing on Delta metal, and let us upgrade to J for 60,000 miles each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.