Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will destinations other than DTW from ORH ever occur?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I am flying out of BOS but live way closer to ORH

Has there been any rumors of destinations other than Detroit being served by Delta from ORH?

B6 seems to be making it work and even added FLL a year ago after their initial launch cities of MCO and Myrtle Beach (I think that was it).

mike
Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Things must have changed a lot there since Allegiant pulled out if B6 can make it work.

If there was a demand to the Southeast and secondary Florida markets, DL probably would have added ATL by now.

Otherwise, as long as BOS is expanding as a DL focus city, they would rather that you drive there.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Anytime soon....not likely.

DL only flies one flight a day, a single CRJ-200 on DTW-ORH. Its not even that well-timed, as originally this flight was an evening inbound to ORH, RON, and morning departure to DTW. Now its just an afternoon turn. A single daily flight is terrible for connectivity, terrible for IROPS/misconnects, and capturing any meaningful share in the market. Not to mention, one of the longest CR2 flights in the system.

The story is that DL even flying into ORH is basically some type of quid-pro-quo to Massport for favors over at BOS.

If DL even wants to have a remote chance of being quasi-committed to ORH, they'd do the following, in this order:
1) Make DTW-ORH at least 2-3x daily
2) Upgauge DTW-ORH to CR9s
3) Add an ATL flight
hhdl and CPMaverick like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:43 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
The conventional wisdom is that, if you have a hub airport, you don't fly much service to other airports near the hub to avoid customers shopping around for flights on your airline.

It's been speculated that the B6, AA, and DL flights to ORH are all in exchange for Logan projects from Massport. Worcester is a lovely airport, though unfortunately quite price-sensitive. Massport needs to insist on a better schedule if they want it to be viable.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
They just started flying in August of 19 right? I doubt there are plans for further expansion this soon. I think they just cut the Saturday service and the loads are reported to be pretty bad.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by VFR
The conventional wisdom is that, if you have a hub airport, you don't fly much service to other airports near the hub to avoid customers shopping around for flights on your airline.
I don't know how much Delta ever bought into that. When CVG was a fortress, people in search of a bargain fleed to SDF, IND, and DAY. Interestingly enough, back in the day, they even ran those short routes back to the hub that some were fleeing. Even today in ATL they run pretty much full ops to CHA and BHM and others.

I am still not saying your point is without merit. And to answer the OPs question, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell of any additional hubs being served soon from ORH.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
DL Seems to try really hard to encourage fliers at ORH and (to a lesser extent) PVD to make the trek up to Boston. It frustrates me as PVD is a lot closer to my final destination, but they must have data supporting the choice.
Worldtraveler727 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
I don't know how much Delta ever bought into that. When CVG was a fortress, people in search of a bargain fleed to SDF, IND, and DAY. Interestingly enough, back in the day, they even ran those short routes back to the hub that some were fleeing. Even today in ATL they run pretty much full ops to CHA and BHM and others.

I am still not saying your point is without merit. And to answer the OPs question, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell of any additional hubs being served soon from ORH.
And NW/DL used to run DTW-FNT/TOL back in the day. I'd say they've clearly evolved their strategy and are reluctant to serve routes that are less than 2 hours drive time of their hubs these days (DTW-LAN/AZO/MBS all remain and are in that ballpark). I doubt you'd see CVG-DAY still flying if CVG was still a hub.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium

BHM is a prime example of how DL doesn't mind serving airports near its hubs. DL has served the city for over 90 years and in return there are ton of Medallions based in the city. Common sentiment is that DL will put just about any aircraft type on BHM-ATL and still fill every seat. I seem to recall seeing everything from a 50 seat CRJ to a 757-300 on that route in the last decade.

More ORH flights would seemingly require lots of high priced demand on the current flights or some kind of overcrowding in BOS.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Worcester's always been schizophrenic about the airport. They pressure Massport to bring service, but the city government consistently opposes plans to make it easy to get there from 290 (by extension 190/395/the pike). If you don't live in Leicester, Paxton, Rutland, Spencer, or the Brookfields, for most of Worcester County it's almost as long a drive to ORH as it is to BOS.

Now if Massport had gone through with the old plans to put a DFW-scale airport in Douglas/Uxbridge/North ridge area....
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I don't think those comparisons are relevant. ORH is a legit Boston area airport, less than an hour from BOS and for many people in the BOS area 30 minutes drive or less (possibly even closer to them than BOS).

Comparing that to people driving 2 hours or more to another airport in a completely different city is not the same thing. I don't think Delta sees BHM prices affecting ATL in the same way as ORH could impact BOS.

This is more like BUR vs LAX or Midway vs ORD.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I don't think those comparisons are relevant. ORH is a legit Boston area airport, less than an hour from BOS and for many people in the BOS area 30 minutes drive or less (possibly even closer to them than BOS).

Comparing that to people driving 2 hours or more to another airport in a completely different city is not the same thing. I don't think Delta sees BHM prices affecting ATL in the same way as ORH could impact BOS.

This is more like BUR vs LAX or Midway vs ORD.
63 miles from CVG to DAY and many people on the north side of CVG were nearly as close to DAY as they were CVG. True, this is a moot point now. I am in SoCal now and that is an entirely different beast. I have used them all BUR, ONT, SNA, LGB and LAX. In fact, this trip, I am using two off them, inbound to LGB and outbound from LAX. As to MDW and ORD, I generally find MDW to the cheaper one but that may be due to WN.

Just like before, your points aren't completely missed. But they aren't getting more hubs from ORH soon, if at all. Of course, Delta will take subsidies if someone wants to offer them up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.