Community
Wiki Posts
Search

call wait times on diamond line?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:16 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wcg999
Was there a dedicated desk before? That was always my understanding, but taking a closer look at the website (below), I guess it only says that we have a dedicated phone number to call and that we will have priority over other calls.

VIP PHONE LINEYou receive access to an exclusive VIP phone line dedicated just to our Diamond Medallion Members and you'll receive handling priority above all other Members.(11) You can find the Diamond-only phone number when you login to the Fly Delta app under “Contact Us” or on the back of your Diamond Medallion card.
Yes there was previously a dedicated desk... and while I would challenge any one to provide "Evidence" many agents have told myself and others on that there is no longer dedicated agents that serve only Diamonds, that I believe it and think its safe to assume so.

Previously, there was a dedicated set of agents only for Diamonds. Now there is a priority phone line where all medallions are serviced. My understanding is that those agents have additional training, but silver vs diamond is no different, other than call priority.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Yes there was previously a dedicated desk... and while I would challenge any one to provide "Evidence" many agents have told myself and others on that there is no longer dedicated agents that serve only Diamonds, that I believe it and think its safe to assume so.

Previously, there was a dedicated set of agents only for Diamonds. Now there is a priority phone line where all medallions are serviced. My understanding is that those agents have additional training, but silver vs diamond is no different, other than call priority.
That's unfortunate. It would explain why there have been wait times (however brief) over the last 6 months or more, whereas you used to immediately get an agent. It's disappointing, given that Delta says it wants to provide more to its best customers. On the other hand, Delta still seems better than its US competition.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wcg999
That's unfortunate. It would explain why there have been wait times (however brief) over the last 6 months or more, whereas you used to immediately get an agent. It's disappointing, given that Delta says it wants to provide more to its best customers. On the other hand, Delta still seems better than its US competition.
Agreed. At least DL still has special training for medallions.

AS got rid of their elite desk as well, so all the status line gets you is top of the list and less wait time, but clueless agents...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
I got a clueless DL agent last night after waiting 21 minutes (quoted 11 minutes). Could not process my simple SDC: “You can’t do SDC on any connecting flight itineraries...”. Knew that to be incorrect (domestic flights, switching from connecting to connecting, only earlier) and HUCA. This time 14 minutes (quoted 11 minutes again). Second agent laughed and said no problem. It is ridiculous that the times are getting longer, but if they are going to cut back on people, at least have someone competent answer the first time.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:45 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
DL's call back predictive timings are quite accurate.
A few days ago "due to bad weather there may be an extended wait...you might consider calling later"--but I got through with NO wait.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM/MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I actually had a conversation with someone rather senior in Delta about this. They told me that they are in the process of training hundreds -- if not more -- of agents to handle Diamond calls. They also confirmed what others have written which is it depends on where your call is routed and what is going on in the flying world, but your spend has no impact on anything. According to them, you're either Diamond or you're not. I am a very high spend multi-year Diamond and have also experienced 15-20 minute hold times which before January of this year I think I never -- or rarely -- experienced. Whether the exec with whom I spoke is providing accurate info, there definitely has been an increase in hold times, and I'm not convinced the people calling back always have the training to do what they should be doing.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
At the end of February, I needed to call in to resolve a ticketing issue that could not be done online. It took four days to get an agent. I called at various times over the course of the four days and was always quoted a short wait time that never was accurate. I did not choose the "call back" option as I thought that might be even more hopeless. When I did finally get through, the agent was knowledgeable and helpful.

A few days later, my flight on AS was canceled and I needed to call in. I did get through quickly and the agent was knowledgeable/helpful although it later turned out when I tried to do online check-in for the new flights, needed to call in again as the new ticket had not been properly re-issued.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mrnewton
I did not choose the "call back" option as I thought that might be even more hopeless.
With the caveat that I haven't used it recently, when I have had occasion to do so, the estimate has been reasonably accurate (and when it hasn't been it's because they called me even sooner)

Of course those experiences have also been when there hasn't been a global health scare, so... (during weather-related IRROPs yes, although that may not be on the same scale)
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I think I waited maybe 30 minutes two days ago, Got a DL agent who immediate sent me to a reissue agent although the original agent could have processed my request. In fact, I was not satisfied with the reissue agent so called back yesterday morning and got a resolution that was satisfactory.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta DM/MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Related/Unrelated: I recently made the "mistake" of turning on Twitter alerts for the Delta customer service feed. It's non-stop humor that I just can't turn off. It's like standing next to the gate podium when a family of ten -- all on ultra-basic-economy tickets -- starts yelling that they can't sit together on an oversold flight. At any rate, the twitter CS agents have suddenly been apologizing that five minute responses have become hours-long responses, if not more. I think Coronavirus has totally overwhelmed and already overwhelmed customer service system. Somewhat surprising for Delta, but definitely notable.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
@Delta Twitter has tanked as well. Up until about 6 months ago, they had been very responsive. Now, crickets!

Guess I’ll have to start making better use of my newly-minted AA EXP status. I had a sneaking suspicion that DL may be on the wane, and since DL annually snubs me for 360, I figured CK or GS might be more useful and easier to achieve.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:07 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta
@Delta Twitter has tanked as well. Up until about 6 months ago, they had been very responsive. Now, crickets!

Guess I’ll have to start making better use of my newly-minted AA EXP status. I had a sneaking suspicion that DL may be on the wane, and since DL annually snubs me for 360, I figured CK or GS might be more useful and easier to achieve.
When I was EXP on AA the waits on hold were often long, the agents were not that helpful, for the last year or so. How does one attain CK?--it is unstated. But once CK became a stated rank, my upgrades as an EXP diminished.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
The excuse that there are more Diamonds after the AMEX waiver increase makes ZERO sense.
Those operators fielding more calls from PM's and GM's does make sense.
Increasing the AMEX waiver would not lead to more DMs, but there could nevertheless be more DMs now than before.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta

@Delta on Twitter remains incredibly responsive for me. I use Twitter more than calling, especially for SDC or confirmed upgrades.

Good luck with your AA EXP status. I was EXP for many years until I gave up and lost it February of this year. AA is subpar on all fronts, not least of which is customer service. There are some helpful EXP agents, but there are often hold times and there are plenty of agents that have no interest in being helpful. Upgrades are easier on most routes as an EXP on AA than they are as a Diamond on DL, but that's just because no one wants to pay for AA's mediocre premium service.
TheHorta likes this.

Last edited by JFKLAX321; Mar 5, 2020 at 3:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Called at 1 pm CT today for an award ticket using CI that wouldn't book. Accepted the call-back option and the call came about 3 minutes later.
It did take about 20 minutes to book the ticket, including time on hold to the ticketing desk, then once reserved, the agent still needed to go elsewhere to ticket. At that point she let me go and called me back about 5 minutes later to confirm that it booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.