Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Increased Turbulence Announcements Before Takeoff

Increased Turbulence Announcements Before Takeoff

Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I had the opposite experience yesterday on Southwest. PHX-SNA, 45 minutes from wheels up to touchdown and a completely full 737. The FAs did a full drinks run, and even though turbulence was announced they only sat down for 5 minutes.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Just flew ATL-SEA the other day and same BS announcement prior to take off and then again in the middle. No turbulence at all. When I fly MU/KL/AF they all work through the actual turbulence and I can't remember getting one of those silly announcements on other carriers. Even on short regional flights in Europe they do a full beverage service with a snack, but not Delta. I can't help but believe the FA's are just being lazy.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by clubord
So let me get this straight.

FA's are now keeping track of which 14,000+ pilots aren't participating in this alleged "SeatBelt Gate." (Of which I have never had any FA suggest to me this scenario in nearly 20 years in the industry, BTW.)

Additionally these pilots, commanding large jets safely through multiple theatres throughout the world, all but crumble under the immense pressure of dealing with a vengeful FA. This FA is now charging them for their crew meals; the same crew meals of which are contractually required, provided free of charge, and catered on nearly every leg.

Honestly, no offense intended. But does that even remotely seem realistic?
This is another airline, not DL. Where he is based, FAs and pilots have a lot of overlap on routes so there a pool of probably 200-300 FAs and pilots that work together 95% of the time...all the crews know each other. Crew meals are not contractually required in their contracts, but most FAs will hand them out for free. He cares a lot about doing his job professionally and many others there do as well (and so he is seeking to move to another airline), but knowing some of the stories and having met some of his collogues in a non-work setting, I would never fly that airline again.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
DL has a FAR way to go to reach AA level service. The problem is over the years the service has been slipping and not recovering in my experience. Keep going this way and they sure can have a race with AA to the bottom.
as a 6 year EXP on AA that has been doing a bit flying on DL enough to get Silver (almost gold) the past couple years I agree with this. While my sample size on DL is smaller than AA, I do find the DL FAs are much better/nicer/happier than I see on AA. That said, AA has some truly amazing FAs that do an outstanding job the problem is consistancy, its FA roulette as they also have some complete crap FAs that seem to hate their job whereas on DL I've found the FAs to be consistently either good or great.

Originally Posted by The Situation
This is another airline, not DL. Where he is based, FAs and pilots have a lot of overlap on routes so there a pool of probably 200-300 FAs and pilots that work together 95% of the time...all the crews know each other. Crew meals are not contractually required in their contracts, but most FAs will hand them out for free. He cares a lot about doing his job professionally and many others there do as well (and so he is seeking to move to another airline), but knowing some of the stories and having met some of his collogues in a non-work setting, I would never fly that airline again.
Perhaps you can share said airline so we too can avoid it as well? Maybe even a hint...
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Counter data point: currently sitting on DL653, DEN-LAX. Even though pilot announced some weather issues prior to take off, seat belt sign came off shortly after (little bit rocky but nothing major) climb out was completed. Service commenced on schedule but didnt even get through C+ before we hit some serious chop!! That cart was bouncing all over the place!!

FAs took their seats for a few minutes but then bounced right back and are currently (cranes neck) around row 20, determined to finish. Go intrepid flight crew of DL653!!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:57 pm

As an FA the captain briefs us and sometimes shows us the weather app on their iPad. Often the conditions differ from their app. But delta is risk adverse and pushes the FD to keep us seated if it might be moderate. As a data point, if the carts are already out we generally tolerate rose turbulence that we would avoid if we havent rolled the carts out (its easier to just stay seated longer than to pull and disassemble the carts weve already set up)

Turbulence is the #1 injury for FAs so DL has been focusing on it for several years. Ive been on to many flights to count that the FD keeps us seated when its smooth and we couldve been up. Ive also worked with FAs that stay seated when we dont have to, but usually we just want to knock the service out and get it over with. Its generally not a conspiracy to be lazy.
obscure2k, SkyTeam777 and Ezzy77 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:55 pm

I’d like to thank the pilots and crew for getting me safely across the globe.

I recently flew LAX-SYD on DL and MEL-LAX on VA. MEL-LAX had more consistent and stronger turbulence than LAX-SYD, but the seatbelt sign was on far less. The VA crew were hustling and only sat down when the pilot (sparingly) asked them to sit down. The difference did hit me on the plane.

All that being said, I never thought about the DL FA’s being lazy, or some potential collusion amongst the crew. There are so many reasons why decisions are made, and at the end of the day win some lose some in comfort, but, so?

I don’t mean to dismiss those that feel like this is an epidemic of epic proportions, but surely upon re-examination it can’t rise to the level of indignation found here...
obscure2k and Ezzy77 like this.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Feb 22, 2020 at 12:10 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
While the South American pilots (AV,LA,AM) are very quick to turn off the seatbelt sign I have found any hint of turbulence they put them right back on.

In terms of putting seatbelts back on I've had a couple of B6 flights always into FLL for some reason where the gear was coming down and garbage was still being collected.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
DL 825 ATL-SJC right now and the lead flight attendant (nothing from the pilot) just gave the turbulence is expected and three will be no service from the FAs while the seatbelt sign is on.

Will report back how it actually goes.

EDIT: now the captain came on and didnt give any details other than weather is in the area and the FAs will remain seated, again they will remain seated until I tell them its safe to get up.

Last edited by apodo77; Feb 24, 2020 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
DL 825 ATL-SJC right now and the lead flight attendant (nothing from the pilot) just gave the turbulence is expected and three will be no service from the FAs while the seatbelt sign is on.

Will report back how it actually goes.
Best of luck. That should be a meal flight too.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by cmd320
Best of luck. That should be a meal flight too.
For the rest of the story. One of the worst service flights I have ever been on in the name of turbulence. Out of the 5:19 flight I would say the FAs remained seated for 3:45 of it. Dinner and first drink got served at 1:45 into the flight after what may have been 30 minutes of light chop after take off.
Second drink service came with an hour left in the flight when the captain turned the seat belt sign off for good (after about 30 minutes of full on smooth air).
Not sure what all the fuss was about as there wasnt all that much turbulence even when we warned about 10:45pm Eastern the worst is about to come and finally at 10:53pm there was maybe 2 minutes of light chop.
I have been on DL flights where the FAs happily serve in rougher air than what we experienced on this flight.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It's nothing more than a cost saving scheme.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by William1865

(Also FWIW I don't yet have mega-status on Delta or even mini-status, really, so I'm not one to get showered with upgrades.
dont worry as someone with mega-status I am sitting on a current upgrade to F percentage of 22% so far this year.

2019 my percentage was 28% for upgrades to F

(yes I started using a spreadsheet to track as I was curious about my upgrade percentage)
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:08 pm

I have definitely noted an increase in this predicted turbulence/stay seated phenomenon. On a handful of flights it was so pathetic passengers in first were using the forward loo.

And I'm now west coast/Pac NW based mostly flying.

For perspective following the merger (going from a NWA Platinum) to Delta I was driven nuts by the tendency of Delta F/A's to stay seated until well into cruise. I asked around back then and was told there were certain stations, mostly the southern, where the crews just sat until the seat belt sign went off (MCO/TPA are two bases that were mentioned). Whereas with NW they almost always were up after the 10k chime.
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.