37 Min Connection in ATL; Standby?

Old Feb 16, 20, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Emerald Exec.
37 Min Connection in ATL; Standby?

A Domestic>Domestic connection in ATL with a 37 min layover is far less expensive than connections with an earlier first segment connecting to the same final leg, yet I know 37 minutes is just about the bare legal minimum.
Would DL let me standby on an earlier flight to ATL? Hopefully without a SDC since I wouldn't be reaching my final destination earlier, but rather seeking to avoid a misconnect on the last flight of the day.
Would you risk it?
Old Feb 16, 20, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Same-Day Standby is $75 if you’re not Gold Medallion or higher on DL (they don’t actually charge your card until you clear onto the earlier flight)

in my experience, ATL delays tend to be worse the later you get in the day ... and the fact that there’s no lower inventory available on the earlier flights into ATL isn’t too surprising

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 16, 20 at 11:50 pm
Old Feb 17, 20, 4:35 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP
On the day of departure, if it looks like your first flight is delayed at all so that you would misconnect, you can make the case that they should put you on an earlier flight (for free) if you are at the airport earlier.
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:15 am

So you want to buy the tighter connection because it is cheaper yet risky then stand by the go on the earlier flight that you didn’t buy because you didn’t want to pay for free. The answer is Delta is on to this and will charge you the 75 dollars. Now you could get lucky and delta could have a reason that benefits them for allowing you to go on the earlier flight with no charge. Otherwise expect to pay
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:25 am

37 minutes is plenty in ATL unless you have mobility issues.
indufan, SamOF, CO-PLAT and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL is far from unique in this. Both AA & UA sell tight connections at lower fares. This is largely because such connections are often not desireable. On the other hand, if you misconnect, DL will rebook you onto the next flight with availability. As you have not provided the exact date, routing, and flight numbers, nobody here can advise you as to what might be available.

Bottom line here is that if you book the connection, you should plan on flying it. SDC might be available and will likely cost $75. Only you can evaluate the value of $75 up front in order to make it your destination vs. the hassle and cost of a misconnect, e.g. missed meeting or whatever the purpose is of your trip.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
While 37 minutes in ATL is possible with a somewhat perfect set of conditions, no way would I sign up for that. If you end up 2 or more concourses away and/or have any in bound delay you are going to be screwed.
my approach: I never fly through Atlanta, I only fly to Atlanta.
Mr. Tickets likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
37 minutes is plenty in ATL unless you have mobility issues.
i would beg to differ here. It is doable more times than not or it wouldnít be a legal connection but plenty of time it isnít. For starters you are landing as the next leg is getting ready to board. If you are towards the back of the plane you are already losing about ten minutes just to get off the inbound aircraft. This is where luck comes into play. Your next gate could be one over or you could come in at the end of one concourse and go out at the end of another.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:17 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
While 37 minutes in ATL is possible with a somewhat perfect set of conditions, no way would I sign up for that. If you end up 2 or more concourses away and/or have any in bound delay you are going to be screwed.
Really? T to F takes less than 10 minutes. No reason a connection like this can't be made. ATL is the most efficient airport in the world. Even if the OP was delayed on the first leg, DL's obligated to get them to their destination so they'd be placed on the next flight.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Takes no where near a perfect set of conditions. I would go as far to say normal conditions will.work.
gooselee and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
DL is far from unique in this. Both AA & UA sell tight connections at lower fares. This is largely because such connections are often not desireable.
This is occasionally true, but it's far more likely the opposite is true. Vast majority of travelers want, and (business travelers) are willing to pay more for a short connection. This is why when you search award inventory, you get cheap options with ridiculously long connections.

For me, I'd much prefer a 37 minute connection to say a 2 hour one. My ideal ATL connection time: 55min. That way I have time to walk between concourses instead of plane training it.
tvnwz, brianm27, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Umm, yeah, slow clap, since you're a UA flyer, it wouldn't make much sense for you to connect in ATL now would it?

Love ATL or hate ATL, one cannot deny it's one of the most efficient airports in the World and probably *the* most efficient airport if you look at it's scope.

UA's largest hub is what, half the size of DL's ATL operation and yet has significantly poorer on-time performance? Is that winning?
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
This is occasionally true, but it's far more likely the opposite is true. Vast majority of travelers want, and (business travelers) are willing to pay more for a short connection. This is why when you search award inventory, you get cheap options with ridiculously long connections.

For me, I'd much prefer a 37 minute connection to say a 2 hour one. My ideal ATL connection time: 55min. That way I have time to walk between concourses instead of plane training it.
Not sure where your marketing data comes from, but apparently the legacy carriers' have it the other way.
Old Feb 17, 20, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Not sure where your marketing data comes from, but apparently the legacy carriers' have it the other way.
Well, since you asked, I worked in Revenue Management for 3.5 years for a large legacy U.S. carrier (not DL). I worked specifically on pricing. Where does your "marketing data" come from?
mayhem, Spiff and tvnwz like this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Umm, yeah, slow clap, since you're a UA flyer, it wouldn't make much sense for you to connect in ATL now would it?

Love ATL or hate ATL, one cannot deny it's one of the most efficient airports in the World and probably *the* most efficient airport if you look at it's scope.

UA's largest hub is what, half the size of DL's ATL operation and yet has significantly poorer on-time performance? Is that winning?
you are mostly right. Someone with DL status who is sitting towards front of plane will be ok. The rest of us who sit towards back, board in group 5 well we are at risk of either missing the boarding cut off or not being able to take our bags on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: