Community
Wiki Posts
Search

37 Min Connection in ATL; Standby?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:41 am

There is literally no way you can spend 10 minutes on the plane train, T to F is like five minutes tops
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:42 am

also 10 minutes to get off the plane is an overestimate unless you're on a A380. I think the last time I was in the last row of a A321 it took less than 7 minutes from the ding to when I stepped onto the jetway.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
also 10 minutes to get off the plane is an overestimate unless you're on a A380. I think the last time I was in the last row of a A321 it took less than 7 minutes from the ding to when I stepped onto the jetway.
On the 753, it has taken me 10 mins from Row 41 (L3 Exit Row) to get off. If I was in the last row, it could easily be 15 mins.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
How about a 739?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32089919-post23.html
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM
I think a standalone thread on discussion of Delta RM would be great. My only interest in it is as someone who buys a lot of fares. I've found with a decent knowledge of practices including basics such as advanced purchase requirements, Saturday night stays (still prevalent on regionals), and some of the more advanced tricks like inventory management and dynamic pricing, I can save (mostly my business) several thousand a year.

Originally Posted by mayhem
I still can't believe that JAX-CHO with a short connection is priced higher than JAX-CHO with a long connection however. And you show it yourself because only 1 out of the 3 "longer" layovers is more expensive. So that discussion should be closed
This is funny. I believe you are accusing me of cherry-picking the one flight on MAR26 that was more expensive for a shorter connection. It is true that only that short layover flight was more than a longer layover option. And I did cherry pick it, but not for that reason. Instead, ATL-CHO is served by all CRJ2s except for the 1x daily 712. By habit, I naturally look at that flight alone if at all possible. But, I agree with your point. If the hypothesis is that RM prices short layovers at a premium, why aren't all the shorter layover priced higher? ATL-CHO isn't a great example though, because of the 1) all regional carriers except for the 1 mainline and 2) limited seats on the CRJ routes. (PS, I checked again today and the 2297/2158 short layover is now at L, how dynamic).

From personal experience, the 5 pm weekday departure from JAX-ATL is usually quite full. So, perhaps the simpler hypothesis is that DL will limit inventory on flights their data show sell out. There's ample evidence for that. That's the 1) fill all seats 2) at the highest price possible motto. Let's switch to JAX-ATL-DCA, which is all mainlines and good frequency, creating lots of options with <4hr ATL connections. Screenshot below are the afternoon options. Without getting into segment inventories of every flight (and ignoring the outlier, the $359 H fare), a trend seems to be that the prime time "evening" flights (after the work day, but not too late) are priced the highest, the Q fare at $289, and DL will offer gradually lower married segment inventory on flights that move one or both flights out of the prime time window. One way to move one or more flights out of prime time is to extend the layover, which would explain the pattern I was seeing but for a different reason. That's the case with the earlier 3:57 pm U fare ($184) which is just under the 4 hr max layover. The other way is to push both flights out of prime time, the case with the other U fare leaving at 7:59 pm (which has #2 shortest duration).

Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ajggiant
I think a standalone thread on discussion of Delta RM would be great. My only interest in it is as someone who buys a lot of fares. I've found with a decent knowledge of practices including basics such as advanced purchase requirements, Saturday night stays (still prevalent on regionals), and some of the more advanced tricks like inventory management and dynamic pricing, I can save (mostly my business) several thousand a year.

This is funny. I believe you are accusing me of cherry-picking the one flight on MAR26 that was more expensive for a shorter connection. It is true that only that short layover flight was more than a longer layover option. And I did cherry pick it, but not for that reason. Instead, ATL-CHO is served by all CRJ2s except for the 1x daily 712. By habit, I naturally look at that flight alone if at all possible. But, I agree with your point. If the hypothesis is that RM prices short layovers at a premium, why aren't all the shorter layover priced higher? ATL-CHO isn't a great example though, because of the 1) all regional carriers except for the 1 mainline and 2) limited seats on the CRJ routes. (PS, I checked again today and the 2297/2158 short layover is now at L, how dynamic).

From personal experience, the 5 pm weekday departure from JAX-ATL is usually quite full. So, perhaps the simpler hypothesis is that DL will limit inventory on flights their data show sell out. There's ample evidence for that. That's the 1) fill all seats 2) at the highest price possible motto. Let's switch to JAX-ATL-DCA, which is all mainlines and good frequency, creating lots of options with <4hr ATL connections. Screenshot below are the afternoon options. Without getting into segment inventories of every flight (and ignoring the outlier, the $359 H fare), a trend seems to be that the prime time "evening" flights (after the work day, but not too late) are priced the highest, the Q fare at $289, and DL will offer gradually lower married segment inventory on flights that move one or both flights out of the prime time window. One way to move one or more flights out of prime time is to extend the layover, which would explain the pattern I was seeing but for a different reason. That's the case with the earlier 3:57 pm U fare ($184) which is just under the 4 hr max layover. The other way is to push both flights out of prime time, the case with the other U fare leaving at 7:59 pm (which has #2 shortest duration).
Haha, no, definitely not accusing you of cherry picking, just trying to disprove the thesis that DL or other airlines would be pricing short connections higher. I'll keep looking at every example you bring forward and see if I can hold my anti-thesis.
Your new example also shows this for the 2 evening options. The first leg JAX-ATL at 6.59pm has a higher demand than the next 7.59pm departure, not because of people connecting to DCA (they both arrive at the same time) but because there is some other connection out there (e.g., that would be the last one of the day). Nothing to do with short/long connections, just estimated demand for each individual leg in a network.

Basically revenue management has two key tools to work with, 1 breaking it up into fare classes and allocating rules to those fare classes (a lot of rules...) and 2 setting a price for that fare class for every possible origin destination combo the airline wants to sell. (If there is no price for that combo then you go into combining ODs to build a ticket, different story). Then fare classes sell out for one combo, but not for another, but they still use the same capacity to service those OD combinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.