Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cancelling/Rescheduling Delta One flight

Old Feb 16, 20, 6:27 am
Original Poster

I have a non refundable Delta One ticket this evening in First. I need to cancel and reschedule for a flight next week. Unfortunately, with the $200 change fee, and the substantial ticket price difference since I purchased, the ticket will end up costing about twice the original price. As much as I was looking forward to the Delta One flight to kick off a trip, the new price point just doesn't make sense at this juncture, even for a splurge.

If I cancel the flight outright, do I have from year of a purchase date to use the residual value, or year from today?

That is the rub. While it makes more sense to hold the residual value for a different (TBD) ticket, this ticket was bought a long time in advance. So I only have a short remaining window to use it anyway, if it's a year from purchase date.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Feb 16, 20 at 7:18 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 16, 20, 7:27 am

The policy is one year from the date the ticket was issued. Also, I am not sure the route you are on but the cancellation fee might be greater than 200.
Old Feb 16, 20, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks tennessetom. It's domestic -- DCA to LAX.

While I hoping someone would reply soon (thanks!) I was looking through some recent Delta threads. Now that I've learned the 757 Delta One seats are widely regarded as the worst in the fleet, there's even less incentive for me to pay double the ticket price to be in Delta One on this particular route. The ticket itself is basically + $500.0 more, to fly anytime in the next two weeks. Plus the $200 change fee. Maybe Delta would waive the $200 fee change due to illness, but it's still a poor use for the new $$ overall. Particularly now that I learned more about the seats.

Kind of bummed it worked out this way; I like flying Delta in general and don't do it all that often anymore.
Old Feb 16, 20, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is possible that DL will waive the fee and collect only the fare difference or vice-a-versa. It does not hurt to call and ask. Have a letter from your doc handy to send in.
Old Feb 16, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
Thanks tennessetom. It's domestic -- DCA to LAX.

While I hoping someone would reply soon (thanks!) I was looking through some recent Delta threads. Now that I've learned the 757 Delta One seats are widely regarded as the worst in the fleet, there's even less incentive for me to pay double the ticket price to be in Delta One on this particular route. The ticket itself is basically + $500.0 more, to fly anytime in the next two weeks. Plus the $200 change fee. Maybe Delta would waive the $200 fee change due to illness, but it's still a poor use for the new $$ overall. Particularly now that I learned more about the seats.

Kind of bummed it worked out this way; I like flying Delta in general and don't do it all that often anymore.
The 757 to LAX is definitely no A350 or 777 D1, but for that route, it's about as good as it gets, plus SkyClub access if you didn't already have it. So as far as D1 seats it may be near the bottom, but for a DCA-LAX nonstop it's not shabby since AA and AS are flying non lieflat A321s
Old Feb 16, 20, 2:43 pm

Agree with other posters, call and see if delta will waive the change fee. On the seat, for TCON, I really don’t mind the 757. On the is it worth it question, that is always tough, there are times when coach is just fine and others when it is an unbearable nightmare. The difference between the two comes down to the passengers near you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: