Bonus for SkyMiles purchase

Old Feb 14, 20, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
Bonus for SkyMiles purchase

I've observed/experienced several excellent customer service issues with Delta over the last few months. I'm now very interested in switching from United to Delta as my preferred airline. I have the DL AmEx, but use Chase Sapphire cards for most everything. Too many good benes to switch over to AmEx as our main cards. But I won't be able to transfer Chase URs over to Delta, as I could with United. Does Delta have "bonus sales" of SkyMiles once in a while? UA offers a periodic 100% bonus often enough that I could purchase miles at a beneficial rate. I use my miles for upgrades, so this could kill my switch from United to Delta. Appreciate any input or ideas.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:07 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I don't have an answer regarding bonuses (can't recall any personally but I'm not always looking), but if you don't have any SkyMiles yet, I might suggest signing up for AF/KLM FlyingBlue instead, since it's a transfer partner for both Chase UR and AmEx MR.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:26 pm

From an FT search, it looks like the last time they offered any bonus for mileage purchases was about a decade ago --

100% buy miles bonus for Amex card users
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
Thank you both for responding. I would have not thought about my Flying Blue a/c ... with the new hoop-de-do merger that's a genius suggestion! Never knew how difficult it would be to switch allegiances from United and have to actually THINK about it all. I've been on automatic pilot since Continental was a pup. Really appreciate this information.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Check the value, to you, of the DL benefits you'd be giving up by having your status on FB. Examples, Complimentary Upgrades (you're below all Delta Elites), SDC fee waiver for GM and above, free award ticket redeposits for PM/DM, Choice Benefit for PM/DM, and others.

Can you use the Chase points elsewhere for at least $.01 per point? If yes, they're probably more valuable used elsewhere and you can use FCM for upgrades on DL.
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:01 pm

It's not always the best value but given how many people find deals off Expedia here on these forums, and the fact that Chase UR Travel *is* Expedia at 1.5 cpp assuming CSR, I don't see much problem here.

End of the day Chase UR is such a versatile currency I can't really see myself switching to Amex (though I thought about it, I travel nearly 100% reimbursable expenses these days through corporate travel portals and just dumping them at 1.25 cpp into Schwab brokerage doesn't seem like it'd suck for me)... but status on operating airline matters as posted upthread in my case. You can certainly do better for award tickets through a transfer partner, but certainly in my case status boosting, 77k UR is free SM and then some, which for a currency I wasn't really using anyway and since hoarding is suboptimal, was worth it to me rather than shelling out 1.1k for it while I'm hoarding cash for a mortgage process.

End of the day points are about being flexible, and UR is still one of the most flexible currencies out there so I'm not rushing out to wrap my arms around MR just to transfer to DL in this case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: