Dasani water

Old Feb 15, 20, 12:20 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,718
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
come on, in this very post you're talking about drinking water in skyclubs/centurion lounges, so we know you're not talking about cropduster airports out in the middle of nowhere where your options are truly constrained. Literally every airport Delta serves has multiple newsstand-type operations, all of which have coolers full of multiple different bottled waters.
This isnít really true. I donít think Iíve ever seen a bottle of Acqua Panna at a Hudson News or similar type of establishment. Itís normally a disgusting Smart Water for like $8 or a Dasani for $5.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:36 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VPS, previously SEA and PIT
Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Dasani IS tap water, so there you go.
If you read the ingredients on a Dasani bottle, it's water followed by three different names for salt. OP is right, Dasani is awful, but with Coca Cola owning the drinks contract, that's all we're gonna get.
RealHJ likes this.
dmarge18 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:46 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by ggonzaga View Post
I take Accutane and that medication dries my skin up so much especially during flights, but even then I refuse to drink water on board if itís Dasani
Wait, you take Accutane but have issues with water? Youíve seriously got your concerns mixed up.
MrHockey is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 1:39 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoyô️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,675
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
+1. I was shocked when we had our one EK F redemption (during the old AS/EK redemption days) and the soda choices were all Pepsi products. Thankfully they had some other, better drink options available in F but I was shocked to see a premium ME3 airline going with Pepsi over Coke
Due to a long standing, delicate and complicated set of not-very-good reasons including boycotts and public relations missteps, most of the Middle East has been divided up in soda brands across religious boundaries, with Coca-Cola being popular in the Jewish community and Pepsi cornering the market in majority Islamic markets.

This has faded quite a bit over the years and both companies operate in both markets since 1992, but the perception still exists, and itís entirely unsurprising it would affect ME3 carriersí drink choices onboard.
Duke787 and hhdl like this.
BenA is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 1:51 pm
  #65  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,158
Yup, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are two of Pepsiís strongest international beverage markets in terms of market share and size, so that makes sense.
nogophers likes this.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 1:56 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
Aquafina is by far the worst.
Some years ago they actually called out on their bottles that it was from the city of Houston water supply. That quickly disappeared.
charlesdemar is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 4:40 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 274
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
+1. I was shocked when we had our one EK F redemption (during the old AS/EK redemption days) and the soda choices were all Pepsi products. Thankfully they had some other, better drink options available in F but I was shocked to see a premium ME3 airline going with Pepsi over Coke
In a lot of the Muslim world, Coke runs a fairly distant second to Pepsi. There was a fairly widespread popular association of Coke with Israel. I'd be a little surprised if any of the ME airlines served Coke.
Duke787 likes this.
hhdl is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 5:46 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MT, USA
Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
come on, in this very post you're talking about drinking water in skyclubs/centurion lounges, so we know you're not talking about cropduster airports out in the middle of nowhere where your options are truly constrained. Literally every airport Delta serves has multiple newsstand-type operations, all of which have coolers full of multiple different bottled waters.
I think you havenít been to very many airports that Delta serves if you think that ďliterallyĒ every one has multiple newsstand operations all of which have multiple different bottled waters. GTF for example has only one stand with a few books and no newspapers and only Dasani and Smartwater for sale post security. BZN is another. BIL, MSO and HLN round out the whole state of Montana where there is never more than one newsstand-type operation post security and water options are seriously limited to the Coca-Cola produced options.

I agree that Acqua Panna is good water. Dates back to the 16th Century when the Medici family claimed it as their own. Now it belongs to San Pellegrino... Nestle. Still quality water and a HUGE step above Dasani swamp water.
Fishwiz likes this.
Flaneurs is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 6:23 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,713
I love Dasani. Tastes great. I love Woodford. Tastes great. I love Delta. Maybe I have bad taste. I donít care.
kale73 and Moyerclan like this.
HeadInTheClouds is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 7:28 pm
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 22,941
And whether Dasani, or Fiji, or Kirkland, or Deer Park, or Poland, or Aquafina...it's all in plastic bottles, each of which will not fully break down for 10,000 years or more.
DenverBrian is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 7:29 pm
  #71  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Navajo Nation, Northern Arizona (ABQ, PHX, LAS)
Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Posts: 12,095
My preference is distilled water. No minerals to contaminate my precious bodily fluids.

(And some of you are going to have to answer to the Coca-Colaģ Company.)
kale73 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 9:18 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: DCA / IAD
Programs: DL 360, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 257
Are you folks aware that you can get Smartwater when youre flying in DeltaOne, right?
A321neo is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:54 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 34
Oh-My-God,

Are you seriously telling me that there is a thread on Pretentious er Flyertalk that is five, count em, five pages long about bottled water? You know, I signed up here to get the hidden deals on flying with Delta. I did some research on this site and the majority (90%) of the negative reviews stated the "holier than God" and "white, 1st world" problems started by posters here. I ignored that and went ahead and registered. Holy Sheet, the reviews were right! A five page long diatribe on the quality of bottled water??!! Then I had the pleasure of reading a, who knows how long, thread about how someones feelings were hurt about a gate agent in SEA, saying I was to receive a D1 seat and "rub and tug" and then changing my seat and a red coat spit on me and siding with the "rub and tug agent" then the subsequent replies stating the agent should be terminated, drawn and quartered, publicly humiliated and then questioning the mental state of said gate agent and if she/he should be institutionalized. Seriously people, this is like that scene in The Hangover where Stu says "You guys are just F'n with me" Christ people, book a flight, if you make it into first great, if not sit down and just shut the FARK up already.
MrHockey is offline  
Old Feb 16, 20, 12:44 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,718
Originally Posted by MrHockey View Post
Oh-My-God,

Are you seriously telling me that there is a thread on Pretentious er Flyertalk that is five, count em, five pages long about bottled water? You know, I signed up here to get the hidden deals on flying with Delta. I did some research on this site and the majority (90%) of the negative reviews stated the "holier than God" and "white, 1st world" problems started by posters here. I ignored that and went ahead and registered. Holy Sheet, the reviews were right! A five page long diatribe on the quality of bottled water??!! Then I had the pleasure of reading a, who knows how long, thread about how someones feelings were hurt about a gate agent in SEA, saying I was to receive a D1 seat and "rub and tug" and then changing my seat and a red coat spit on me and siding with the "rub and tug agent" then the subsequent replies stating the agent should be terminated, drawn and quartered, publicly humiliated and then questioning the mental state of said gate agent and if she/he should be institutionalized. Seriously people, this is like that scene in The Hangover where Stu says "You guys are just F'n with me" Christ people, book a flight, if you make it into first great, if not sit down and just shut the FARK up already.
Sorry, but no. I live in a world with both standards and expectations.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:19 am
  #75  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 63,949
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
Due to a long standing, delicate and complicated set of not-very-good reasons including boycotts and public relations missteps, most of the Middle East has been divided up in soda brands across religious boundaries, with Coca-Cola being popular in the Jewish community and Pepsi cornering the market in majority Islamic markets.

This has faded quite a bit over the years and both companies operate in both markets since 1992, but the perception still exists, and itís entirely unsurprising it would affect ME3 carriersí drink choices onboard.
There is an interesting story behind this. For years, Pepsi boycotted Israel out of fear of losing its sales in the Arab countries. Eventually, Pizza Hut opened in Israel and, at the time, it was owned by Pepsico. Pepsico did not allow Pizza Hut to sell Coke, and Pepsi was not being bottled in Israel. Hence, Israeli Pizza Huts sold only Pepsi which was bottled in Cyprus. Eventually, Pepsi dropped its boycott and started bottling in Israel. This allowed Pizza Hut to provide locally-bottled Pepsi. Since then, Pepsico sold Pizza Hut and today Israeli Pizza Hut franchises provide only Coke -- no Pepsi.
Dovster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: