FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Lesson learned for me - Always set up equipment change alert (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2009107-lesson-learned-me-always-set-up-equipment-change-alert.html)

pulpfiction78 Feb 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Lesson learned for me - Always set up equipment change alert

My wife casually mentioned to me that her SEA-CDG flight next month had a new seat assignment. So I took a look and sure enough, original 5A assignment had been moved to 8A due to equipment change (I forget but possibly from 767 to a 330, so the herringbone should be an upgrade).

Just a lesson learned for me. I already have ExpertFlyer so I set up equipment change alerts for all future flights and will continue with that. I also set up a seat alert for my wife in case another window seat should open up closer to the front.

MCO Flyer Feb 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by pulpfiction78 (Post 32072712)
My wife casually mentioned to me that her SEA-CDG flight next month had a new seat assignment. So I took a look and sure enough, original 5A assignment had been moved to 8A due to equipment change (I forget but possibly from 767 to a 330, so the herringbone should be an upgrade).

Just a lesson learned for me. I already have ExpertFlyer so I set up equipment change alerts for all future flights and will continue with that. I also set up a seat alert for my wife in case another window seat should open up closer to the front.

What difference does sitting towards the back of D1 have, especially since its still a window seat? You can now pre-select your meal entrée 21 days out in the DL app and on the A330, you will board and de-plane using door 2L so seat 8A would get her off faster.

pulpfiction78 Feb 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32072739)
What difference does sitting towards the back of D1 have, especially since its still a window seat? You can now pre-select your meal entrée 21 days out in the DL app and on the A330, you will board and de-plane using door 2L so seat 8A would get her off faster.

Possibly more noise from the galley right behind row 9.

But, for me I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again and I get pushed from a window seat to a middle seat. If I get an alert I can at least check right away and possibly move if there are open seats.

eneq Feb 14, 2020 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by pulpfiction78 (Post 32072750)
Possibly more noise from the galley right behind row 9.

But, for me I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again and I get pushed from a window seat to a middle seat. If I get an alert I can at least check right away and possibly move if there are open seats.

Another potential issue that could arise is if your flight changes to a different version of a 767, and you get put into a window seat with no window. Happened to me a few months ago.

Summend Feb 14, 2020 2:09 pm

For the next month, DL is using the 330-900neo freed up due to the suspension of SEA-PVG for SEA-AMS, and uses the 330 freed up from SEA-AMS for SEA-CDG.

ATOBTTR Feb 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32072739)

Being further forward means getting served earlier which means finishing the meal earlier and thus can mean getting to sleep earlier. Less of an issue on a daytime flight but on a redeye (especially shorter ones) it can make quite a bit of a difference.

Ezzy77 Feb 15, 2020 5:06 am

Happened to me too. I was checking the app and noticed a new seat in D1. Originally on a 767-400 with the new seats to a 777. Love getting the suite over the tighter seats and gaining 30 minutes but I was moved from a window seat closest to the window to one closest to the aisle. First world problem. However, I’m not a frequent flyer and this was a once in a lifetime splurge for me, first time in D1 (probably the last). No company is paying for my seat. It wouldn’t be horrible but I much prefer closer to the window. There are so few I was very lucky to have found out right away and was able to move my seat. Shortly after they were all gone. The only open now are closest to the aisle or the middle section so I must not be the only one. I don’t fly enough to use expert flyer so was just lucky. I understand they only send out emails when times change so I now now to check often to see if the aircraft changes too.

ijgordon Feb 15, 2020 6:08 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 32073004)
Being further forward means getting served earlier which means finishing the meal earlier and thus can mean getting to sleep earlier. Less of an issue on a daytime flight but on a redeye (especially shorter ones) it can make quite a bit of a difference.

They served from the rear on my last 330 flight.

ExArkie Feb 15, 2020 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Ezzy77 (Post 32074581)
Happened to me too. I was checking the app and noticed a new seat in D1. Originally on a 767-400 with the new seats to a 777. Love getting the suite over the tighter seats and gaining 30 minutes but I was moved from a window seat closest to the window to one closest to the aisle. First world problem. However, I’m not a frequent flyer and this was a once in a lifetime splurge for me, first time in D1 (probably the last). No company is paying for my seat. It wouldn’t be horrible but I much prefer closer to the window. There are so few I was very lucky to have found out right away and was able to move my seat. Shortly after they were all gone. The only open now are closest to the aisle or the middle section so I must not be the only one. I don’t fly enough to use expert flyer so was just lucky. I understand they only send out emails when times change so I now now to check often to see if the aircraft changes too.

Doesn't need to be an equipment change. We had a round trip CLT-JFK-MAD in a 767 and had selected the window seats where the seat is beside the window and not the aisle (odd-numbered rows). There was a schedule change on the CLT-JFK leg, with no changes on JFK-MAD (same time, same flight number, same equipment, same everything). I was left in 1A on both legs, but my wife was moved from 3A to 2A on both. I was able to move her back to 3A on the outbound, but it was already taken on the return. I got her into row 1 on the other side of the plane (last seat-near-window open). There is no reason for those seats to have been changed, since the schedule change was on the the other two legs.

The Web site (and app) also both warned me that I might miss the connecting flight due to the schedule change, when the change was actually in the other direction (i.e., went from 1 hour 30 minute layover to 1 hour 53 minutes).

My habit now is to check all booked flights every Sunday, since most of the schedule disrupting seems to happen on Saturday night some time.