Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 Billion Dollars over 10 years

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:37 pm

Every business on earth exists for one reason: to make a profit. Any decision made has profit as the deciding factor. Delta feels that this push will ultimately be profitable, whether through PR or through fuel savings (probably some of both).
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Duke787
FWIW, a full plane going from JFK to SFO is almost certainly going to have a lower overall emissions impact than everyone on that plane driving themselves from JFK to SFO (assuming 95% are using gas-powered vehicles, not electrics).
Originally Posted by mattp1987
LAX to SFO is slightly shorter than Tokyo to Hiroshima which takes about 3.5 hours on the Shinkansen. It would take DAYS on a bicycle if one really wanted to cut emissions.
I think at some point we swapped NYC for LAX which makes a huge difference here

The US, especially the western states, is massively spread out compared to almost anywhere else, which makes rail travel impractical in most markets. There is a lot we can do better, but it is noteworthy that one of the only corridors with dense enough cities to easily support rail has one of the only profitable intercity rail services in the United States, and it competes favorably with airlines on the same citypairs.
HDQDD and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
LAX to SFO is slightly shorter than Tokyo to Hiroshima which takes about 3.5 hours on the Shinkansen. It would take DAYS on a bicycle if one really wanted to cut emissions.
Between 234 minutes and 240 minutes to be exact, so really its 4 hours.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sure...said by an airline that uses really old planes, like MD, B717, etc.

So that $1 Billion = Money for new planes?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:19 pm

I place zero blame on the airlines for this. They do not forcibly strap people into planes and make them fly. People buy airplane tickets. If people feel strongly about emissions from air travel they should vote with their behavior and $$$ for something else.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:29 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
I place zero blame on the airlines for this. They do not forcibly strap people into planes and make them fly. People buy airplane tickets. If people feel strongly about emissions from air travel they should vote with their behavior and $$$ for something else.
I agree wholeheartedly. I see and hear all these people protesting global warming but they all get in their cars and buy airplane tickets to go to events, protests, fundraisers, etc.

Walking is about as clean as you get. Walking without rubber shoes even better..and NO farting on the walk!

If more people walked to their destinations it would for sure free up space in the SkyClubs and occasionally give me a row with an empty middle seat. Start walking folks!
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
This whole thing is a massive case of greenwashing. So sensational. Unfortunately most people buy into it. Just like at the hotels, where they tell you by hanging & reusing your towels, you’re saving the environment....(while saving them labor and washing expenses too)
HDQDD and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:45 pm
formerly smoaky

Humans have caused climate change by releasing carbon into the atmosphere. Quibble on the wording used by a corporation but there is no question about what's happened.

Originally Posted by xliioper
I give them credit for not once using the term "fighting climate change" which is how these things are usually phrased (as if the earth has most definitely arrived at the most perfect climate possible which would never again change absent man's influence).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:47 pm
formerly smoaky

It would take a few hours and be more comfortable.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
even the HIGHEST speed rail possible would take DAYS between LAX and SFO.

Give me a 767 any day.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:33 pm

This CNBC article quotes Ed Bastian saing Delta is "going fully carbon neutral next month". Has anyone seen any specifics on how exactly? It seem to me that would be impossible. The amount of new carbon sequestration required to do that is astronomical.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/14/delt...ext-month.html

This article has a totally different spin. "Starting next month, the airline will work toward canceling out emissions from its flights and ground operations." Did Ed misspeak?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/14/2...hange-airlines
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Carbon sequestration is not the same as carbon offsetting.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Sounds like we're going to get a lot more "shaming" while booking a ticket or checking in at a kiosk asking us to offset our carbon footprint by "donating" more money.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by SSF556
I agree wholeheartedly. I see and hear all these people protesting global warming but they all get in their cars and buy airplane tickets to go to events, protests, fundraisers, etc.

Walking is about as clean as you get. Walking without rubber shoes even better..and NO farting on the walk!

If more people walked to their destinations it would for sure free up space in the SkyClubs and occasionally give me a row with an empty middle seat. Start walking folks!
What kind of nonsense is this? It’s not either you protest global warming and must never use planes or cars, or you use planes or cars and don’t care about the environment. One can protest global warming and still use cars or planes. In part because there’s usually no alternative. If I could use public transport to go to work, I would. But there’s none around me. And for the occasional business trip, I can’t exactly cross an ocean by “walking”.

Last edited by Eric2203; Feb 15, 2020 at 10:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.