Plat Upgrades to Delta One?

Old Feb 13, 20, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Play, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Plat Upgrades to Delta One?

I'm pretty new to Delta so apologies if this is a basic question. We are flying international BOS-LHR, Delta tickets in coach, Delta plan out and Virgin coming back, for booking reasons we are on two itineraries, three on mine (I am Plat) two on another with no status. As of now the plane shows 100% full in Coach and Comfort Plus, about a dozen empty seats in Delta One. What are the chances of getting upgraded? From what I understand there are no automatic upgrades on international, is that so? Is there a chance they may bump people with status up to make way for standby passengers in coach?

The app is offering upgrades for $4,600 - might go so far as to pay that for two but not for five passengers!
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Close to zero. International upgrades to D1 for free are not a program benefit. Moreover, if the plane is oversold in coach, DL tends to give OPUPs to DMs rather than PMs.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I figured Diamond's would top the list, was just curious if it was a "no, never ever" or maybe maybe. Mostly I hope not as upgrading the three on my reservation would create an issue for the two on the other one!
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Close to zero. International upgrades to D1 for free are not a program benefit. Moreover, if the plane is oversold in coach, DL tends to give OPUPs to DMs rather than PMs.
I was with a PM colleague who got the OPUP a few years ago. I also got the OPUP but I was DM.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I guess I'll find out tomorrow at the airport... thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:16 am

Programs: DL GM
Just to add another data point, I've gotten an OPUP twice as a GM, once was FUK-HNL and once was CDG-YYZ (AF operated), both times coach was oversold. Not to say either of those would probably have as high number of DMs as BOS-LHR, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
My husband was GM and I was FO (same PNR) we were upgraded HKG-SEA a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I received an op-up once as a PM on KLM. Of course, Platinum is the highest level in Flying Blue, and I've heard some agents actually don't realize DM is higher. The other non-status passenger on the same PNR did not receive an op-up.

Oh, and there's no way I would pay $4600 one-way to upgrade BOS-LHR. Block time is 6:38-6:40 which means you would probably only have about 5.5 hours max of lie-flat time and a good chunk of that would have dinner and breakfast service going on. BOS-LAX is listed at 6:46.
btonkid12345, tstauck and Revelate like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
I think your question can be answered now. There is only one D1 seat available at this point for tomorrow.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also, bear in mind that DL won't likely actually have an oversell. It may be at capacity or even overbooked right now, but by departure time, all it takes is a cancellation or misconnect here and there and there will be plenty of seats. DL will also likely upgrade staff first.
Old Feb 13, 20, 3:07 pm

Isn’t also a No due to 3 pax on the PNR?
Old Feb 13, 20, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/.9MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Lifetime Gold, DL Res, Amex Plat, TSA Pre✓, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Isnít also a No due to 3 pax on the PNR?
Years ago EDI to JFK on a 757-200 myself a PM and my parents with no status were all upgraded on a coach ticket. The first and only time the parents got fly TATL Biz!
Old Feb 13, 20, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Only way you'll get upgraded is with an OPUP. I was fortunate enough to receive an OPUP the only time I flew LHR/DTW as a Platinum so it can happen but if there are any diamonds they will probably get the op up first. I was also flying solo and if there are five people on your reservation that may have an impact as well.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
I think your question can be answered now. There is only one D1 seat available at this point for tomorrow.
This is for tomorrow, as of now the app says zero in Prem Select and Comfort Plus but 15 seats remaining in Delta One.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ukchris View Post
This is for tomorrow, as of now the app says zero in Prem Select and Comfort Plus but 15 seats remaining in Delta One.
While there can be some correlation (and 15 seats are a lot of empty seats), the seat map is not always an accurate representation of seats available for sale. Because you can hold a D1 ticket and have no seat assignment.

I find that many J passengers (some my former co-workers) don't care about seat assignments, obviously the seats are all pretty good, and many corporate bookings leave seat assignments open.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: