Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plat Upgrades to Delta One?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ukchris
This is for tomorrow, as of now the app says zero in Prem Select and Comfort Plus but 15 seats remaining in Delta One.
If you're on the evening Delta flight (not the 8AM VS codeshare), chances aren't good. It's Y9, so plenty of room in the back.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:58 pm

I've received an operations upgrade on ATL-LHR as a PM before. Plus, I wouldn't expect a lot of DMs out of BOS as there would be in ATL.

The bigger issue is whether coach is oversold, which at Y9 currently, it is very unlikely to be.

Best of luck and safe travels.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
If you're on the evening Delta flight (not the 8AM VS codeshare), chances aren't good. It's Y9, so plenty of room in the back.
Plus if they did need to upgrade due to a PS oversale , it would almost certainly be someone in PS even if they have lower status than the OP since OP is in C+/Y
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:19 pm

As a Platinum, I was surprised to get an upgrade to Delta One for my wife and myself while returning from MUC to DTW last October... we were traveling on miles! I do have the reserve card, and had over $150k on it for the year at that point... not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I was super surprised to get an OPUP as a Platinum on SYD-LAX in mid November 2016
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Op-ups (operational upgrades due to oversold cabins) do happen.

Don't let the posts here convince you they are common. This thread has 1300 views and a small handful of op-up posts.

Based on my experience of >1000 flights as an elite, op-ups happen less than 1% of the time. Even with that sample size, it's still an anecdote really.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:19 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Over the decades I've had op-ups, usually when I least expect it. LAX-NRT for two GM (back in NW days) which you had to rush the podium when they asked for GM/PMs to come up; LAX-HND for two (me as DM and new BF without status); AMS-MSP as PM, JFK-AMS as PM and that's about it. I'm 1.6 MM now too.

It's great when it happens. Report back to your experience
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
They will not leave a revenue passenger behind if there is any empty seat on the plane. This can mean op-ups for status pax in Y-oversold situations. But DL load management has gotten so good, with mods including less overselling on high-LF peak-hour routes, it's an unusual situation.

In Q2 2019 DL had zero IDBs systemwide. American reported 5,227.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The first time I ever flew first class, it was an opup, flying as Gold with a no status companion. It was ATL-MEX about 18 years ago, things a quite different now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.