Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How will Alaska and American's new partnership affect Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will Alaska and American's new partnership affect Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
One more thought regarding SEA/PNW loyalty to AS:

Although I do think this is true for longtime residents — most of the truly loyal AS fans I know have grown up in SEA or PDX or lived here for 20+ years — the problem AS faces with that is that increasingly, Seattle is becoming full of transplants from NYC (like me) or SF or LA. I’ve been here less than three years, but a stunning number of people I meet and work with are also transplants, most within the last 6 years or newer.

So sure, you have loyalty with the natives, but the city itself is no longer full of natives. I actually think that has been a large part of Delta’s success here because outsiders like me who already had Delta loyalty (and hey, this could extend to AA loyalty too for the 5 people that have a good experience flying them) and didn’t ever really understand the hype/fanaticism over AS. (I must admit to some negative bias as an NYC VX fan who was gutted by what AS did to VX.)

Delta certainly can’t rest on its laurels and AS is still the dominant airline here — but it’s surprising to me how many AS flyers I’ve seen become DL people because of the domestic options (and because AS flyers knew that flying an AA-operated codeshare was still flying AA). Alaska has tons of goodwill. American Airlines does not.
WestCoastPDX likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by film_girl
One more thought regarding SEA/PNW loyalty to AS:

Although I do think this is true for longtime residents — most of the truly loyal AS fans I know have grown up in SEA or PDX or lived here for 20+ years — the problem AS faces with that is that increasingly, Seattle is becoming full of transplants from NYC (like me) or SF or LA. I’ve been here less than three years, but a stunning number of people I meet and work with are also transplants, most within the last 6 years or newer.

So sure, you have loyalty with the natives, but the city itself is no longer full of natives. I actually think that has been a large part of Delta’s success here because outsiders like me who already had Delta loyalty (and hey, this could extend to AA loyalty too for the 5 people that have a good experience flying them) and didn’t ever really understand the hype/fanaticism over AS. (I must admit to some negative bias as an NYC VX fan who was gutted by what AS did to VX.)

Delta certainly can’t rest on its laurels and AS is still the dominant airline here — but it’s surprising to me how many AS flyers I’ve seen become DL people because of the domestic options (and because AS flyers knew that flying an AA-operated codeshare was still flying AA). Alaska has tons of goodwill. American Airlines does not.
Seattle (as a city) has grown a lot over the last several years with the tech boom and it's pretty much bursting at the seams. The reality is that the numbers that DL is posting (load factor, yield) is consistently lower than that of AS - based on T100s - and so it's a pretty strong indicator that DL's point-of-sale is still much weaker than that of AS, and it's pretty likely SEA is a relative underperformer in DL's network - possibly barely breaking even. DL won out against AA in NYC - I can't see them replicating that success in Seattle. The reality is that Seattle isn't that large of a market and DL doesn't have the gates to launch new flights with given how constrained the airport is even if they wanted to.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HDQDD
True, and this is where I see an opportunity for DL (or AA) at SJC. The bay area can support both a hub as well as a nearly focus city/gateway, I'm not sure SEA can. The AA/AS alliance + DL will be an interesting battle to watch.
If Delta were to react, it does make sense to do so in SJC vs. AS instead of doing anything reactionary vs. AA. While Delta isn’t just going to shrink away in SEA, SJC offers an interesting opportunity- bigger population than SEA, growing traffic through SJC, and I would think much easier going up against AS in an announced focus city than doing something flimsy in DFW.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like 2 new routes are coming from SEA. SEA-CMH and SEA-DFW, 3x daily on A221s.

https://community.infiniteflight.com...h-route/405439
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
In classic Dougie fashion, AA picked the absolute worst time to try and go to war in Seattle.

Their stock got absolutely slammed this week (as did DAL but not to the extent of AA). Their market cap is now a distant 4th behind DL, WN, and UA in that order and only slightly above AS after this week’s blood bath.

I can’t imagine they are in a position to maintain heavy cash losses at SEA right now which makes the prospect of SEA - BLR launching anytime soon a fantasy IMO.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Looks like 2 new routes are coming from SEA. SEA-CMH and SEA-DFW, 3x daily on A221s.

https://community.infiniteflight.com...h-route/405439
Also seeing increased frequency on SEA-AUS (1x A320 -> 2x 221), SEA-MCO (1x -> 2x), and SEA-ANC (7x) - IAD is also getting a 739 - this is all coming on top of the other growth this year (BZN 2x daily, IAD 2x daily, TPA 1x, GEG 9x). Did DL get more gates?

Side note: I'm surprised DL hasn't doubled down on SEA-RDU yet.

Last edited by ab2013; Feb 29, 2020 at 12:22 pm
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ab2013
Also seeing increased frequency on SEA-AUS (1x A320 -> 2x 221), SEA-MCO (1x -> 2x), and SEA-ANC (7x) - IAD is also getting a 739 - this is all coming on top of the other growth this year (BZN 2x daily, IAD 2x daily, TPA 1x, GEG 9x). Did DL get more gates?

Side note: I'm surprised DL hasn't doubled down on SEA-RDU yet.
What's interesting is that both SEA-AUS flights are five minutes apart from those of AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.