Interesting FA at exit row speech

Old Feb 12, 20, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Interesting FA at exit row speech

On a MD90 recently and the FA came to do the exit row speech and two people (one aisle one window) both had headphones on not listening.

FA proceeded to snap her fingers in both of their faces and then declare 電ont you dare disrespect me I知 in charge and you値l listen

Did not directly affect me but I was blown away at the rudeness and frankly talking to adults like they were a 3 year old who spilled juice on the carpet.

didn稚 bother writing in because I was not one of those two people and frankly DL could care less about complaint letters but wondering if others found that to be wrong or not?
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. Mixed thoughts on this.

The actual language the FA used was uncalled for but the spirit of what she did was appropriate (IMO). If you are sitting in the exit row, you absolutely should take your headphones off and spend the 30-60 seconds required to listen to the FA speech and acknowledge your responsibilities.

You sit in an exit row, you listen to the speech (without complaint and paying full attention) and accept the responsibilities required to sit in an exit row. That's the deal in exchange for more legroom
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post

The actual language the FA used was uncalled for but the spirit of what she did was appropriate (IMO). If you are sitting in the exit row, you absolutely should take your headphones off and spend the 30-60 seconds required to listen to the FA speech and acknowledge your responsibilities.

You sit in an exit row, you listen to the speech (without complaint and paying full attention) and accept the responsibilities required to sit in an exit row. That's the deal in exchange for more legroom
100% agree on listening and paying attention but the words and especially the finger snapping (when you could have simply tapped someone on the shoulder) was way overboard

I make sure to pay attention and always look at the door to see how it should be opened just in case, but I imagine we are in a small minority and most do it for 鍍he extra leg room especially as DL sells exit row seats at a premium price for non medallion customers
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
On a MD90 recently and the FA came to do the exit row speech and two people (one aisle one window) both had headphones on not listening.

FA proceeded to snap her fingers in both of their faces and then declare 電ont you dare disrespect me I知 in charge and you値l listen

Did not directly affect me but I was blown away at the rudeness and frankly talking to adults like they were a 3 year old who spilled juice on the carpet.

didn稚 bother writing in because I was not one of those two people and frankly DL could care less about complaint letters but wondering if others found that to be wrong or not?
I am 100% on the side of the FA here. I had a similar experience recently as well. I was in C+, just behind the exit row on a 757 so I watched all this unfold. The FA started her speech...half way through, the lady right in front of the FA gets up out of her seat and walks back to get her bag out the overhead. The FA called her back, but the woman ignored her. The FA was patient for awhile, but two minutes later, lost her patience and chewed out the pax. I thought the pax was beyond disrespectful. At 2L, it would have been very easy to have kicked that pax off the flight, and I would have liked to have seen that. As a pax, I want people that are seated in the exit row to be serious about performing their responsibilities in case of an emergency rather than the type that would get up to get their luggage out of the overhead while the plane is on fire, because luggage is more important than human life to them. Even beyond that though, what is it with people that they can't show respect for 2 minutes?? FA's should not have to endure continuous disrespect like that. I put in the post flight survey that the FAs did a great job despite some very difficult and disrespectful passengers.
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post

This, and for the love of all that is good, we have to do it, so pleaaaaaaaaase don't say "yes" over and over again interrupting our speil - It just makes the process more painful. I know you've heard it a thousand times, but I still gotta do it. Also we have to get a verbal response, head nodding doesn't count and our ghost riders love to sit in the exit row so its one thing we can't "let slide"
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:50 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned) moving to DL
Complaint? I壇 have been tempted to write a letter of commendation. When things go sideways the FA has to be that teacher that no one ever dared to fool around with.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:33 pm

Hard to see how saying, "don't you dare disrespect me" is anything but a rude and disrespectful response to someone (mistakenly) wearing headphones.
indufan, peaches070, eneq and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I'm with the FA here. I know the flight safety speech by heart, and yet I still - even when not sitting in the exit row - pause what I am doing and pay attention to the flight attendants if they're doing the speech. The odds of something going wrong are slim, but if they do then I want to know that people paying attention are sitting where I might need to hastily evacuate.
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good on the FA. But for the delay, better she should have moved them out of the exit row. People who can't be bothered to pay attention when it doesn't matter also won't likely pay attention when it does.
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Hard to see how saying, "don't you dare disrespect me" is anything but a rude and disrespectful response to someone (mistakenly) wearing headphones.
Sitting in an exit row requires that people are aware of their surroundings. If those seated in the exit row don't have the situational awareness to see the FA is talking to them and take off their headphones to listen to what the FA is saying, it requires a significant response to alert them to the seriousness of where they are sitting. What happens in an emergency if they have their headphones on and aren't listening to the FAs instructions? What happens if they are situationally aware enough to look outside before opening the emergency exit to ensure it is safe to do so?
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

that and the tone used was VERY confrontational. The snapping finger thing to me felt very rude as well as it was within 1 inch of their face and was not meant to 堵et their attention but 堵et their attention and let them know I知 in charge especially with her speech. A simple shoulder tap would have been a much more polite way to get someone痴 attention.

I have a hard time believing that folks here would be ok with someone repeatedly snapping their fingers directly in their face if you were in line checking your bag or someone telling you to move through the security line or boarding line as well as a passenger doing it to you to get up if they were window seated and you were the aisle. I don稚 think snapping fingers in a persons face is ever right and honestly one of the rudest thing somebody can do but I guess this is a YMMV situation.
eneq and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
100% agree on listening and paying attention but the words and especially the finger snapping (when you could have simply tapped someone on the shoulder) was way overboard

I make sure to pay attention and always look at the door to see how it should be opened just in case, but I imagine we are in a small minority and most do it for 鍍he extra leg room especially as DL sells exit row seats at a premium price for non medallion customers
Tap them on the shoulder? Then some entitled passenger will claim to have been assaulted.

Probably a little rude, but how rude is it to not take your headphones out when someone's talking to you?
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm with you here. I almost always sit in the exit row when in Y, but FAs are never consistent with the timing of the speech. I'm not going to spend 5-10 minutes constantly looking for the FA to start their speech. Sometimes, I'm looking out the window with my earphones in. Last week, I was actually asleep. However, once they get my attention, I give them respect during the speech.

IMO, total overreaction. If the story went like the OP said and the pax just had their earphones in, they may have not even noticed the speech was starting. That shouldn't warrant snapping at an adult like they're a child.
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
that and the tone used was VERY confrontational. The snapping finger thing to me felt very rude as well as it was within 1 inch of their face and was not meant to “get their attention” but “get their attention and let them know I’m in charge” especially with her speech. A simple shoulder tap would have been a much more polite way to get someone’s attention.

I have a hard time believing that folks here would be ok with someone repeatedly snapping their fingers directly in their face if you were in line checking your bag or someone telling you to move through the security line or boarding line as well as a passenger doing it to you to get up if they were window seated and you were the aisle. I don’t think snapping fingers in a persons face is ever right and honestly one of the rudest thing somebody can do but I guess this is a YMMV situation.
Finger snapping is annoying, but touching is completely out of line. Even a tap.

As a teacher, I have to do the same thing. If I touch them to get their attention, then I am in the principal's office explaining myself to an angry parent.

Of course, I have a well honed evil eye and a gesture that my students know means 'Yank that thing out of your ear, I am talking to you'.

But, adults are supposed to know better. And, to be honest, they were disrespecting the FA.

That being said, I agree that the FA comments sound over the top. Maybe they were having a bad day.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
I am 100% on the side of the FA here. I had a similar experience recently as well. I was in C+, just behind the exit row on a 757 so I watched all this unfold. The FA started her speech...half way through, the lady right in front of the FA gets up out of her seat and walks back to get her bag out the overhead. The FA called her back, but the woman ignored her. The FA was patient for awhile, but two minutes later, lost her patience and chewed out the pax. I thought the pax was beyond disrespectful.
Ngl I feel there should be some consequences to sit in the exit row. Crew definitely should have the pax undivided attention and anyone who ignores them should either be moved to a different seat or removed from the plane. If they can稚 respectfully listen to the FA for 30seconds, I doubt they値l be able to perform adequately during an emergency.
Duke787 and kimberlyrose like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: