FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   LAX - JFK Delta One Seats Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2008793-lax-jfk-delta-one-seats-question.html)

COYG Feb 12, 2020 11:28 am

LAX - JFK Delta One Seats Question

Hi there,

I'm planning to burn my RUCs to bump into D1 cabin for LAX - JFK flights, armed with all 767 fleets. Earlier last year I heard that Delta was remodeling its 767s to equip with the semi-D1 suite style seats to it [1], while the old ones are still with the Thompson Vantage seats.

By looking at the seat map it looks that there are two types of layouts. The 26 seat style (DL 1162) and 36 seat style (DL 1362). But there are little information on what exactly the seats look like.

Any ideas on whether the new D1 seats have arrived to 767s flying between LAX / JFK? Thanks!

[1] https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...amped-767-400/

COYG Feb 12, 2020 11:33 am

Oh by doing a quick search online it looks like the 36 seats configuration is belonging to 76W and 26 seats are 76Z, which all come with old style seats :(

Looks like the 764s have not been rolled out to this route yet.

KP2006 Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am

You are referring to the refurbished 767-400 which is not normally used on LAX-JFK. Delta is mostly using the 767-300 https://www.delta.com/us/en/aircraft/boeing/767-300er on this route. It exists in config with 26 or 36 Delta One seats, but those are the old D1 seats.

josephstern Feb 12, 2020 12:20 pm

While this is the best use for RUCs in my opinion, you end up with the worst D1 seats in the fleet.

They aren't terrible by any means, but they're not too great either.

acrophobia Feb 12, 2020 1:28 pm

I submit that the worst D1 seats in the entire fleet are on the 757 in 2-2 configuration.

exwannabe Feb 12, 2020 1:45 pm

Unless people have more luck than me, I will apply my RUCs on every coast-coast flight just to make certain they get used.

Having a RUC left at the end of the year and burning it on a flight to Florida is kind of pathetic.

josephstern Feb 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by acrophobia (Post 32064318)
I submit that the worst D1 seats in the entire fleet are on the 757 in 2-2 configuration.

That's true - I agree. I forgot about those. Fortunately, I'm almost never on that plane.

pbfoot Feb 12, 2020 2:23 pm

I take this flight almost weekly, switching between DL and UA. On DL it is all 767-300 with the old seats. They used to have a once-daily A330 with the better (but still not great) reverse herringbone, but was swapped with yet another 76W late last year. Surprising to me that this route wasn't prioritized for the new semi-suite given how premium-heavy it is and the fact that there are only a handful of dailies using this equipment on JFK-LHR...not sure where else it is currently utilized that could possibly have higher premium demand.

ijgordon Feb 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by KP2006 (Post 32063904)
Delta is mostly using the 767-300 https://www.delta.com/us/en/aircraft/boeing/767-300er on this route. It exists in config with 26 or 36 Delta One seats, but those are the old D1 seats.

I believe that they're not as old as the seats on the un-refurbished 764s. Notably, I think the IFE is a bit better on the 763 than the old 764 (but not as good as the refurb'ed 764), but the guts of the seats are essentially the same. That said, I think the only meaningful improvement to the refurbished 764 seats themselves is enhanced privacy for the center pair seats.

pfreet Feb 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 32064061)
While this is the best use for RUCs in my opinion, you end up with the worst D1 seats in the fleet.

They aren't terrible by any means, but they're not too great either.

Even better? HNL-ATL.

nystateofmind Feb 12, 2020 5:50 pm

They are both in need of a refresh, but I do like the privacy of odd row single seats. I know it may sound crazy but I prefer being on the right side because it seems like everyone who has a seat in the middle 3 of coach goes down the left aisle.

USCTrojan83 Feb 12, 2020 8:03 pm

Try to get Row 1. Infinitely better leg room. The side single seats also have more leg room than the center ones, particularly the center seats where the tray table is on the outside (varies which side this is based on row #). Those are torture chambers.

orlandodlplat Feb 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 32064548)
I believe that they're not as old as the seats on the un-refurbished 764s. Notably, I think the IFE is a bit better on the 763 than the old 764 (but not as good as the refurb'ed 764), but the guts of the seats are essentially the same. That said, I think the only meaningful improvement to the refurbished 764 seats themselves is enhanced privacy for the center pair seats.

So the seats are identical to the old 764 seats. (Early on, they modified the then-new seats 764 seats when the 763 conversion began... something to do with tray tables.) Also, they all got brand new seat covers during the transition from BE to D1. IFE is the same too... many of the touchscreens have lost a fair amount of accuracy, which is really a problem around the edges, but you can make your selections on the wired remote. What IS different is the totally cool bathrooms, which have completely touchless features and nice LED lighting.

While the 763 fleet is getting some modifications, reportedly they do NOT include new D1 seats... instead they are getting Premium Select, and enhancements to the main cabin.

I'm hoping, with the short-term freeing up of A350s sidelined from China, that they will wind up on TATL routes and some of the A330s will get on transcons. But even if they don't, the 763s are perfectly fine for a 4-5 hour flight.