Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add 16 more new gates at JFK T4

Old Feb 11, 20, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

https://news.delta.com/planned-expan...d-16-new-gates

Look like it's happening, just announced by Delta. Delta is going add 16 more new gates at entire T4.

Opens early 2023. YAY!!
sspontak likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Do we know if these new gates are going to be at the A side or B side of T4?
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
Do we know if these new gates are going to be at the A side or B side of T4?
A concourse as the B concourse has already been extended to itís max footprint. I hope they keep the buses from T4A to T4B. That would be one heck of a haul if someone had to connect from B51 to the newly extended A Gates.
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
The article says that in addition to the new gates, a new DL SlyClub is coming to the A gates.

Probably the DeltaOne lounge.
sspontak likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
A concourse as the B concourse has already been extended to itís max footprint. I hope they keep the buses from T4A to T4B. That would be one heck of a haul if someone had to connect from B51 to the newly extended A Gates.
Whew, I was worried they were thinking B wasn't long enough already.
Old Feb 11, 20, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
https://news.delta.com/planned-expan...d-16-new-gates

Look like it's happening, just announced by Delta. Delta is going add 16 more new gates at entire T4.
Although they're adding 16 gates in T4, they'll be leaving 11 gates in T2 (which will then be demolished, apparently) so it's only a net increase of 5 gates.
sspontak likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 11:28 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
A concourse as the B concourse has already been extended to it’s max footprint. I hope they keep the buses from T4A to T4B. That would be one heck of a haul if someone had to connect from B51 to the newly extended A Gates.
As someone who's not a frequent JFK flyer, is there currently a T4A to T4B bus? I know the Jitney connects T2 to high T4B gates numbers and low T4B gate numbers. I agree, a potential transfer from the end of B to the end of an extended A would be a loooong walk.
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
As someone who's not a frequent JFK flyer, is there currently a T4A to T4B bus? I know the Jitney connects T2 to high T4B gates numbers and low T4B gate numbers. I agree, a potential transfer from the end of B to the end of an extended A would be a loooong walk.
Yeah, way too long walk! They need catch a shuttle bus from T4A to T4B or try to go under the tunnels from mid-concourse to another concourse.

Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
Although they're adding 16 gates in T4, they'll be leaving 11 gates in T2 (which will then be demolished, apparently) so it's only a net increase of 5 gates.
That is correct. The entire T1 & T2 will be demolished and they will rebuilding new T1. They will build a former old Delta terminal 3 hardstand.
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
I've gone from a having a mild distaste for the current state of T4 to a more generalized disgust as the years have gone on. It's just too long, the moving walkways are always broken, the escalators are backwards (favoring left-hand traffic), the busses are slow and unreliable, and the headhouse and roadways are unholy messes. The only SC is cramped and crowded, and a far walk from the regional gates and the base of the concourse where the bus station is. Getting lucky when a flight of mine goes into or out of T2 gets me unreasonably excited.

I pity the fool who needs to connect from a regional jet to a concourse A gate. The shopping mall connecting A and B doesn't have any moving walkways and is a lot longer than some people realize. I know a people mover isn't in the works, and I can't see a tunnel under the tarmac being built at NYC construction prices to connect the far ends of A and B. The only hope is for more slow, unreliable bus service, but this is not a "best-in-class" airport experience by any means.
Old Feb 12, 20, 7:41 am

Found this in an environmental review, for any interested:

Old Feb 12, 20, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope they keep the buses from T4A to T4B.
Wait, what???
Old Feb 12, 20, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ekozie View Post
I've gone from a having a mild distaste for the current state of T4 to a more generalized disgust as the years have gone on. It's just too long, the moving walkways are always broken, the escalators are backwards (favoring left-hand traffic), the busses are slow and unreliable, and the headhouse and roadways are unholy messes. The only SC is cramped and crowded, and a far walk from the regional gates and the base of the concourse where the bus station is. Getting lucky when a flight of mine goes into or out of T2 gets me unreasonably excited.

I pity the fool who needs to connect from a regional jet to a concourse A gate. The shopping mall connecting A and B doesn't have any moving walkways and is a lot longer than some people realize. I know a people mover isn't in the works, and I can't see a tunnel under the tarmac being built at NYC construction prices to connect the far ends of A and B. The only hope is for more slow, unreliable bus service, but this is not a "best-in-class" airport experience by any means.
I actually disagree. I find that JFK is probably my favorite airport to transit if you strip away the JFK-related issues (weather, ATC delays). I appreciate having one long walkway -- makes it really easy to find your gate and not worry about what terminal or terminal wing you are in. The SkyClub does need work but when you add in the reported new SkyClub and the AMEX Centurion Lounge opening this year in T4, that should ease the SkyClub crowding (plus of course the VS Clubhouse for the JFK-LHR market).

Then again I'm someone who hates people movers in general (even if empty and working, I prefer walking to the side) and appreciate getting in steps before I get on a long flight.
manacit, SSF556 and film_girl like this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:02 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Wait, what???
What I meant to say was I hope they keep the busses to use between T4A and T4B. Using Google Maps distance calculator tool, the walk from the end of T4B near Gate B53 to the end of the new proposed A concourse would be just over 1 mile long.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
I actually disagree. I find that JFK is probably my favorite airport to transit if you strip away the JFK-related issues (weather, ATC delays). I appreciate having one long walkway -- makes it really easy to find your gate and not worry about what terminal or terminal wing you are in. The SkyClub does need work but when you add in the reported new SkyClub and the AMEX Centurion Lounge opening this year in T4, that should ease the SkyClub crowding (plus of course the VS Clubhouse for the JFK-LHR market).

Then again I'm someone who hates people movers in general (even if empty and working, I prefer walking to the side) and appreciate getting in steps before I get on a long flight.
I don't mind long walks either, but the extension of A will have the same problem as the extension of B, which is namely the narrowness of the existing concourse (which forms the "throat" of the extended concourse). When they added to B, the extension was a little wider but that doesn't help much given everybody needs to walk through the older, narrower part.
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post

I rarely use JFK as a connecting airport, but I imagine it's fine for that purpose with the caveat of the long walks. For O/D (especially on RJs), it's atrocious, though. Delta could have done a much better job with a main club at or near the base of the concourse, and a smaller satellite club about 2/3 of the way up, maybe around B39/41. I find myself skipping the club entirely to go to the inferior Wingtips lounge and shuttle to the gates when flying on an RJ. Don't get me started on how domestic baggage claim is located all the way by the international-only A gates.

The original phase II expansion called for the regional concourse to essentially form a walkway between T2 and T4 through the removed T3 space. It was scrapped early on to (I've been told) simplify taxi movements by having higher-movement/quicker-turn gates closer to the Alpha and Bravo taxiways rather than clogging ramp movement by being further in. While I wish this had come to fruition for paxex sake, I understand while it didn't.

Connecting, by the way, is going to be become a heroic act for some itineraries with the A expansion. The expansion will only have domestic gates, so will only serve DL (and possibly pre-cleared WS). Domestic mainline-regional connections at JFK may become the worst transfer experience in the DL system. Even with a bus from A to B54, the dumb SC placement is going to make it very inconvenient.

Yes, that 1.11 miles!

MCO Flyer and AANYC1981 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: