Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vindictive Gate Agent

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These are the traditional groupings, but an alternative explanation might be that the word groupings is used now by DL in an attempt to dumb down the information to customers who might conceivably think that fare class means the exact fare code, with the word grouping used to emphasize that all K fares, for example, are grouped together.

It's too bad that we don't yet seem to have any definitive data points on this.
I assumed this, but honestly I just don't know anymore. Some routes the B fare is only $20 more than an M fare and I'll pay out of pocket the extra $20 to help ensure I get a C+ seat at the gate by being top of the upgrade list. But I was on a flight (SFO-ATL) last week where I bought the ticket three weeks prior and it was only an H fare and I was #1 (!) on the F upgrade list. It was #1 for 0 so it didn't matter, but this is a route that I typically am on an M or B fare and am usually several down the list (some are from RUCs, but still). So I was quite shocked to see this - for context, I've previously been on Q and H fares and usually end up at 15-20 on the list (which is where I'd expect to be as a DM on an H fare). Either way, my confidence in how "fare groupings" work is completely shattered now as there is NO WAY I should have been #1 on an H fare on that route at that time of day. Period.

In terms of gate agents - they're a mess when it comes to C+ seats nowadays. Even worse - at least at ATL - when a flight is oversold, it seems like seats get pre-cleared by a central team 2 hours before the flight departs. This past Sunday I was flying ATL-SJC and both 10B/C were cleared by Basic Economy passengers. I was #1 on a 40+ person long C+ upgrade list (and sitting in 36C) and so this miffed me and wanted to get my seats swapped. Had to escalate to a redcoat to get this fixed (who I had to argue with for 10 minutes to even make this simple request happen). I wish this was an unusual occurrence, but it happens every Sunday I fly that route. Literally every Sunday I have to escalate to a redcoat just to get a C+ upgrade because someone without a seat assignment cleared into it first.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
In terms of gate agents - they're a mess when it comes to C+ seats nowadays. Even worse - at least at ATL - when a flight is oversold, it seems like seats get pre-cleared by a central team 2 hours before the flight departs. This past Sunday I was flying ATL-SJC and both 10B/C were cleared by Basic Economy passengers. I was #1 on a 40+ person long C+ upgrade list (and sitting in 36C) and so this miffed me and wanted to get my seats swapped. Had to escalate to a redcoat to get this fixed (who I had to argue with for 10 minutes to even make this simple request happen). I wish this was an unusual occurrence, but it happens every Sunday I fly that route. Literally every Sunday I have to escalate to a redcoat just to get a C+ upgrade because someone without a seat assignment cleared into it first.
Yeah I find that many agents for whatever reason clear the standby list (which includes BE since they need to fulfill seat requests) before clearing the C+ and F upgrade lists which causes these problems. It makes no sense -- I don't know if there is some rationale for holding the upgrade list processing but it should be a clear process to GAs to (1) clear F list (2) clear C+ list (3) clear standby list
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Agreed. If all facts are accurate the person should be terminated as what is written suggests they have serious, potentially dangerous, psychological problems and should not be in such a position.
Or maybe just having a bad day? This is a person's livelihood we're discussing, a reprimand is in order but firing seems extreme to me.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Or maybe just having a bad day? This is a person's livelihood we're discussing, a reprimand is in order but firing seems extreme to me.
Not to worry. DL is not likely to do anything at all in this instance. OP also only knows 1/2 of the story which is as it ought to be.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:15 am
Suspended

Again, if they happened as stated they are very troubling behaviors. That constellation of behaviors is not "just having a bad day" it is indicative of very serious psychological problems.

I cannot fathom having an employee with such potentially sensitive access to information and facilities who has such a pathological level of panful vindictiveness and false superiority.

Those behaviors are unfortunately not the kind of problem that is fixed by some type of conversation(s) or disciplinary action(s). The only course of action would be termination.
Spiff, strickerj, LiHS and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by defrosted
I think this is the worst part of the story.

Even IF you were in the wrong, mumbling and walking away is arguably worse than the vindictive gate agent.
I think this is the part that may be overlooked and suggests to me that the gate agent likely has a well-established pattern of highly troubling behaviors that may even frighten or distress fellow employees.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Indeed, assuming they did say something to the effect quoted in the OP of "this is my flight, I'm in charge, no-one else can make changes not even red coats can touch my seats!", they should not be a gate agent.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal
Either way, my confidence in how "fare groupings" work is completely shattered now as there is NO WAY I should have been #1 on an H fare on that route at that time of day. Period.

I’m guessing the system skipped over you for a complimentary upgrade to F on the SFO-ATL. Maybe even some PMs and GMs sitting up front in OU.

On the C+ upgrade, I don’t trust the automated processor anymore. So easy to just go select the seat you want on the seat map, and as DM moves you to any C+ free.

I’ll even take a C+ middle, then call and ask to have my seat unassigned. That way, I’m in C+ but lack a seat assignment. This makes it easy for any airport agent to give you 10C, for example. But I have noticed ATL clearing standby lists much earlier than the GA arrives, so you point of the centralized team doing the clearing makes sense.

Absolutely not. The Red Coat in the SkyClub is a Supervisor over the GA. She authorized the change and it was made. The GA then undid that. Insubordination.

The GA then took it further to punish the customer for their superior’s decision. Not any customer - a HVC.

This series of events would be grounds for termination from any entry-level, customer-facing position such as a DL GA.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Not to worry. DL is not likely to do anything at all in this instance. OP also only knows 1/2 of the story which is as it ought to be.
Thats frightening but then again the sociopaths are most often hiding in plain sight. I think the OP is really to be commended for speaking up about this very troubled person.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:11 am

Agreed. If all facts are accurate the person should be terminated as what is written suggests they have serious, potentially dangerous, psychological problems and should not be in such a position.
Can’t tell if serious....
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:12 am

Again, if they happened as stated they are very troubling behaviors. That constellation of behaviors is not "just having a bad day" it is indicative of very serious psychological problems.

I cannot fathom having an employee with such potentially sensitive access to information and facilities who has such a pathological level of panful vindictiveness and false superiority.

Those behaviors are unfortunately not the kind of problem that is fixed by some type of conversation(s) or disciplinary action(s). The only course of action would be termination.
....I guess you are.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tine Rod
....I guess you are.
Yes, and I can also see how to some without specialized knowledge could think this is someone having a bad day. Unfortunately, if what is stated is accurate, its simply not.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Exactly. The gate agent should have thought about what he was going to say before saying it.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Firing? Too much.
Reprimand? Not enough.
The GA should be explicitly suspended - 60 days - from front facing duties and should not be allowed to have any flight "under his and only his control" for a minimum of 6 months. If he's a repeat offender, he should be assigned to be a gate "assistant" and explicitly barred from any decision-making authority.
​​​​​
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Order of List Processing Makes a Difference

Originally Posted by Duke787
Yeah I find that many agents for whatever reason clear the standby list (which includes BE since they need to fulfill seat requests) before clearing the C+ and F upgrade lists which causes these problems. It makes no sense -- I don't know if there is some rationale for holding the upgrade list processing but it should be a clear process to GAs to (1) clear F list (2) clear C+ list (3) clear standby list
Just to be clear, the order that Duke787 sees done by many agents is backwards from the normal process, which is "(1) clear F list (2) clear C+ list (3) clear standby list." The disadvantage of doing the normal process is that Same Day Standbys' are not upgraded, (which is why I never SDS).

The rouge agent's processes fixes that without the need the check over two lists simultaneously, but creates a new set of problems as other posters here have noted. Also, there is that agent's attitude problem....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.