FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What would happen if I miss my award flight by minutes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2008671-what-would-happen-if-i-miss-my-award-flight-minutes.html)

jairocon Feb 11, 2020 2:10 pm

What would happen if I miss my award flight by minutes?

Hi guys. I'm trying to get relatively cheaply from VIE to MSP. Since I have some miles... I will book a roundtrip VIE-(CDG)-BOS and then I'll use 9,000 miles for BOS-MSP roundtrip.

The flight from CDG->BOS has scheduled arrival at 13:08.
The award ticket BOS->MSP would be leaving at 14:40.

1h 32min is probably not enough time for this, right (especially since I have to get through customs)?

If I try buying the whole ticket VIE-CDG-BOS-MSP delta will include this connection on the ticket. And if I miss the connection - they would simply rebook. However... if these are two tickets, one paid VIE-CDG-BOS and one award BOS-MSP... then what would happen it let's say I get delayed coming from CDG, or I get stuck in customs for too long? Would delta rebook the award ticket for the next flight? Or would I be out of luck?

We're talking cheapest coach on both tickets, no status.

It's probably not worth it to risk it, right?

(Or could I somehow ask for both tickets to be joined when I check in in Vienna?)

Weekend Away Feb 11, 2020 2:20 pm

In my experience you'd be fine. They're selling the through ticket so it's clearly a valid connection time. If you miss it they'd rebook you on a later flight with availability. Delta isn't obligated to do this, but in my experience they will, regardless of paid vs award.

The real question is, what's your tolerance for risk? There's a chance you'll miss it, but not likely. There's also a chance that won't rebook you, but again, not likely. How comfortable are you with staying in Boston for the next flight?

dEagleS Feb 11, 2020 2:27 pm

It looks like 90min is the minimum International-Domestic connection time in BOS, Delta to Delta. Personally, I would not have any issue booking this. I think Delta will re-book you on the next available flight without charge if you missed your connection due to a late incoming aircraft. Since they are separate tickets, basically the "flat tire rule" would apply to your 2nd domestic flight in any case, which would afford the same.

Duke787 Feb 11, 2020 2:45 pm

1.5 hours is should be plenty of time at BOS if you arrive on time. You just need to walk quickly (or take the bus) over to the DL gates from the international terminal and the walk is fairly long compared to other Delta international gateways (I would guess maybe a mile of total walking). I did it a couple of weeks ago (AMS - BOS - RDU) and I'm in pretty good shape and walk really fast and it still took me about 10-15 minutes.

Try not to check any luggage, that will make this more difficult (though not impossible) and of course if you have GE that will expedite things.

jairocon Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm

There is also a 4500 mile flight available that leaves at 19:21 (7:21pm). So that would be about 6+ hours after my schedulet arrival. I kind of don't really want to be waiting around for 6 hours for this connection - but I could book it to be on the safe side.

Could I possibly then get it switched to an earlier flight if they have any open seats? Or would they just frown and tell me to sit down :)

That 1.5 hour connection scares me... considering the weather might be all kinds of crazy in 4 weeks. I've never gone through customs in BOS. Last summer 2.5 hours in Washington DC wasn't enough as there were so many people waiting in lines and we missed flights to LAX that had to be rescheduled, but that was on one ticket.

btonkid12345 Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 32060463)
1.5 hours is should be plenty of time at BOS if you arrive on time. You just need to walk quickly (or take the bus) over to the DL gates from the international terminal and the walk is fairly long compared to other Delta international gateways (I would guess maybe a mile of total walking). I did it a couple of weeks ago (AMS - BOS - RDU) and I'm in pretty good shape and walk really fast and it still took me about 10-15 minutes.

Try not to check any luggage, that will make this more difficult (though not impossible) and of course if you have GE that will expedite things.

Note: You don’t have to just walk. International is Terminal E, and DL is Terminal A. Many free bus shuttles circle all the terminals; you can ask a driver to confirm but most of the airport shuttle buses will get you without walking from E to A in the same time or less as walking.

DLASflyer Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Missing a flight because another Delta or joint venture partner flight was late is a pretty good excuse.