Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta falsely claiming to offer a "VIP Line" to Diamond Medallion members?

Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD

After posting on FT about some terrible customer service interactions with Delta's Diamond Medallion desk, other FT members reported that the Diamond Medallion desk was discontinued approximately one year ago.

Yet, this is one of the clearly advertised Diamond Medallion benefits. Does the Diamond Medallion VIP line still exist, or has the service been eliminated in favor of higher priority in the general phone queue?

Diamond Medallion members receive access to a "VIP Line." https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-benefits
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I am sure it is still technically accurate. If I had to guess, Delta restricts the pool of Diamond agents to those with a minimum tenure (i.e. you won't get someone working their first day) and probably requires them to go through a short (<2 hours) computer-based training program to teach them how to handle Platinum and Diamond-specific issues (e.g., applying RUCs/GUCs, co-terminal changes, etc).

That said, those same agents are also in the main queue now so it is only a "virtual" VIP line in the sense that you will only reach a subset of the total pool of available agents.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
All I can say is since they made this change, the service has gone way downhill on DM line. If you get someone new-ish and try to get a RUC/GUC applied... Good luck.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I still greatly miss the Plat agents in Chisholm. I wish there was an option to wait for one of them when I call.
BenA, DiverDave, CarmenOM and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I still greatly miss the Plat agents in Chisholm. I wish there was an option to wait for one of them when I call.
I find that HUCA works. I can pretty much gauge a good agent by 10 seconds of conversation. If I get a bad agent on the first attempt, the second try usually gets a better one. I don't know if this is a coincidence, or if the system automatically attempts service recovery by routing the second call to a better call center.
ekozie likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:14 pm

you mean this number is no longer working...(218) xxxxxx they used to get you an agent...

Last edited by obscure2k; Feb 9, 2020 at 5:21 pm Reason: no need to publish number
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At some point, someone gave me a Chisholm (218) number, but it was for the general queue.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The term "desk" is an anachronism. It is a "line," but it is one which you can reach by dialing any DL number and either having your SM number recognized or entering it. So, what do you get? A more experienced and marginally more empowered agent. But, experienced and empowered does not mean great.

Nothing false about what DL markets, it is simply less meaningful that some believe it ought to be.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
So, what do you get? A more experienced and marginally more empowered agent.
Is this still true, do Diamond Medallion members still get access to more experienced and empowered agents, or simply a higher priority in the queue to speak to the next available agent from the general pool?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
At some point, someone gave me a Chisholm (218) number, but it was for the general queue.
I would take a Chisolm general agent any time
RealHJ and tvnwz like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by A321neo
I would take a Chisolm general agent any time
Minnesota NICE!! truly amazing!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Wonder if anyone from Delta Corporate would confirm? They used to actively monitor this thread but I have noticed a decrease in the competency of the agents i have interacted with of late.
hortkie likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:21 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Twice I called the DM line to apply GUCs to flts booked as part of DL vacation packages, initially the agents said that for "bulk" fares GUCs couldn't be used, I noted that the rules changed (I even got an email from DL a few months ago)--experienced/VIP agents who deal with GUCs on a regularly should be aware of the "new" rules; they consulted their database and I was OK.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The term "desk" is an anachronism.
This term has been used around FT in this and other forums forever and I always thought it was a joke. Like there is some desk with a big diamond on it someplace.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by bretthexum
All I can say is since they made this change, the service has gone way downhill on DM line. If you get someone new-ish and try to get a RUC/GUC applied... Good luck.
Try GUC on an airline that's not Delta.

Or booking a Skymiles ticket for something that doesn't show up on the website.

And this is supposed to save us time??
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.