Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta "Chat" Service -- Don't Try An SDC!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond

Hi all, longtime reader, first time writer. Delta Diamond/Million Miler with let's call it an "observation."
You may be tempted to use the Delta "Chat" service while in flight to process a "same day confirmed" change. Don't do it. In the midst of a lengthy flight cross country flight on Wednesday, I first asked the "chat" person if they could process an SDC for a Diamond or if I should just call the Diamond desk when I'm back on the ground. The rep said it should be no problem and asked for the confirmation number. I requested the flight change and was later told they couldn't do it so I should just call the Diamond line when back on the ground. I said "fine," thanked them, and that was that. Until I looked at my record. My return flight had disappeared. It was replaced with a one way flight to Atlanta (not my final) and it was in coach, although I was on a paid first ticket. After speaking with a Diamond desk rep -- who couldn't have been nicer -- it was determined the chat people really had no idea what they were doing. The rep offered a $200 certificate as an apology (which I hadn't even asked for) and ended up moving me to the flight I was originally trying to SDC on to. Lesson learned.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, I think this is something that a Twitter rep probably could have done, no? Are these chat reps different? Or maybe it was just a sole bad agent. Though I guess to use Twitter one would have to pay for WiFi. Glad it worked out for you though!
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Thanks for the heads up.
If their intention was for app chat to replace twitter and reduce phone volumes, they are not off to a good start in my experience either.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Thanks for the heads up.
If their intention was for app chat to replace twitter and reduce phone volumes, they are not off to a good start in my experience either.
My guess is that the chat app is being handled by people in a low-cost location (likely the Phillipines, possibly India) and so you are mixing a combination of newness to Delta's systems with potential language/cultural challenges you avoid when engaging with a native speaker.

On the flip side, if they can get it to work even somewhat it will be a godsend. I don't want to use Twitter and I hate calling in all.the.damn.time to do every little thing. I would love to be able to shoot a text and have something simple be taken care of rather than deal with the entire disruptive phone call process.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Ethernal: right. That's exactly why I wanted to try this to see if it works. I love the friendliness of (most) diamond desk reps, but wow, it sure does seem like an SDC could be done in app, or at the very least through some sort of chat service that is functional. Perhaps -- someday -- they'll have a fully trained top-tier elite chat desk that is different than the "general" chat desk. The ability to change a flight, while in flight, would be great.
MSPeconomist and koreanair720 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can do SDC online. Although it may not provide last seat availability for those on F fares. I have done it a number of times on coach fares. You need to go through the Check-In link to access the function (selecting the Modify Flight option from My Trips won't work as it will assess change fees/fare diff). The main issue with online version is that it won't show flights more than 24 hours from the current time even if they are same day (not an issue if you want to SDC to earlier flight, but you may miss out on available seats for later flights as you have to wait until they are within 24 hour window).
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you - how frustrating.

I had a trip last fall where my flight was arriving into ATL earlier than planned, so I could make an earlier connection to IAH (instead of HOU, where i was scheduled). I used the message function from the DL app while in flight, and the agent processed it in under 5 minutes. I'd like to hope yours was a one-off bad experience rather than me having a one-off good experience, but figured I'd chime in with at least one positive data point.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM
I like the idea of the chat function but the execution has been poor. For one, although the chat originates in the Delta app, I am always asked to provide confirmation number (which requires going back to app), last name, etc. Why can't the chat function recognize identifying info like the DM line? That, combined with the couple of messages it takes to get rid of the AI and get to an agent, the 5-10 minutes it can take to get a response from an agent (although sometimes it is faster), and the seemingly lesser quality of the app agents, invariably means that a call is both faster and more effective.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by xliioper
You can do SDC online. Although it may not provide last seat availability for those on F fares. I have done it a number of times on coach fares. You need to go through the Check-In link to access the function (selecting the Modify Flight option from My Trips won't work as it will assess change fees/fare diff). The main issue with online version is that it won't show flights more than 24 hours from the current time even if they are same day (not an issue if you want to SDC to earlier flight, but you may miss out on available seats for later flights as you have to wait until they are within 24 hour window).
My experience is that it does not work if your ticket is ticketed via a travel agency. It will let you select the flight but then error out and say call them when you go to confirm. The last time I tried was 6+ months ago though so perhaps it has been fixed by now (but I doubt it).
Atlantarita likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ethernal
My experience is that it does not work if your ticket is ticketed via a travel agency. It will let you select the flight but then error out and say call them when you go to confirm. The last time I tried was 6+ months ago though so perhaps it has been fixed by now (but I doubt it).
I have the same problem with TA booked flights. Tried to do a SDC yesterday with that error actually.
Atlantarita likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:25 am

I;ve probably done 40 SDC changes via twitter in the last year, never had a problem. I wouldn't give up that convenience just on the off chance that one agent messes something up.

Any agent can screw up your record, there's no reason to think that the method you used to contact them contributed to this.

Last edited by WillBarrett_68; Feb 7, 2020 at 12:12 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I;ve probably done 40 SDC changes via twitter in the last year, never had a problem. I wouldn't give up that convenience just on the off chance that one agent messes something up.

Any agent can screw up your record, there's no reason to think that the method you used to contact them contributed to this.
Twitter isnt the same as "chat." Chat is the recently new option you can get via spo, online, or sometimes even offered when calling in.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I’ve used the chat function a dozen or so times since it came out without any problems. Including SDC and changes to international tickets. One of the agents I chatted with was in Atlanta; I don’t think it’s offshore.

I always fill out the survey at the end and tell them they need to find away to shorten the chatbot at the start and skip having to provide your confirmation number. My guess is that the later is something to do with Apple’s business messaging service and data privacy. I would think they get at least my phone number when the chat is initiated so they could use that like the phone system.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Twitter isnt the same as "chat." Chat is the recently new option you can get via spo, online, or sometimes even offered when calling in.
it doesnt matter, though. The same people are probably working "chat" and twitter and facebook messenger, and in any case, the point is that the method you use to contact an agent doesn't have anything to do with whether they screw up your pnr.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Its possible they're the same, but IME the "chat " people arent as knowledgeable. Thus I think (albeit no proof) that they're separate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.