Search

NYC/OAK Connection advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
NYC/OAK Connection advice

Mid-June, so NYC and ATL weather can already be a bit thunderstormy.

EWR/ATL/OAK shows a 1:55 ATL connection time, and leaves EWR at 2:59 PM.
LGA/ATL/OAK shows a 1:38 ATL connection time, and leaves LGA at 3:00 PM.

They both connect to the same (and only) OAK flight. Neither airport is exactly known for its timeliness. And, I'm not familiar with DL at either airport (so I don't know if all things otherwise equal, if the lounge at one is better than the other). I'm most concerned with making my connection without too much stress. As bad as I know EWR can be, it is obvious that the LGA flight even allows more ground padding. Also, in the event of IRROPS, which airport will be most likely to handle it better and get me back to at least SFO the same night?

Which airport would you choose?

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Feb 6, 2020 at 9:58 pm
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
If weather looks to be bad at the times of your flights, call Delta and get put on an earlier flight into ATL.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Mid-June, so NYC and ATL weather can already be a bit thunderstormy.

EWR/ATL/OAK shows a 1:55 ATL connection time, and leaves EWR at 2:59 PM.
LGA/ATL/OAK shows a 1:38 ATL connection time, and leaves LGA at 3:00 PM.

They both connect to the same (and only) OAK flight. Neither airport is exactly known for its timeliness. And, I'm not familiar with DL at either airport (so I don't know if all things otherwise equal, if the lounge at one is better than the other). I'm most concerned with making my connection without too much stress. As bad as I know EWR can be, it is obvious that the LGA flight even allows more ground padding. Also, in the event of IRROPS, which airport will be most likely to handle it better and get me back to at least SFO the same night?

Which airport would you choose?
Is there not a option to connect in SLC from EWR? Flying through ATL during a summer afternoon screams IROPS waiting to happen.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're worried, can you book the earlier LGA-ATL segment? Domestic itineraries allow four hours scheduled connection time before a connection becomes a stopover and has multicity pricing.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’d actually book JFK-ATL-OAK, knowing there’s JFK-SLC as a backup (as well as, of course, a few JFK-SFO nonstops)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. But let's all assume that this traveler has already considered other options and there may be large price differentials and other time factors in asking the very particular questions I posed.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks all. But let's all assume that this traveler has already considered other options and there may be large price differentials and other time factors in asking the very particular questions I posed.
If those are the only two options that you have, I’d fly out of EWR due to the smaller DL terminal, minimal construction at EWR vs LGA, and a few extra mins in ATL. If IROPS happens with the EWR-ATL flight, you always have the EWR-SLC flight to fall back on. If IROPS happens at LGA, your stuck with only ATL as they don’t have a SLC flight from there. I’m not aware of any other destinations DL flies non-stop from OAK other than SLC and ATL.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, LGA had many more DL flights (and decent lounges), so there would be options to connect to SLC via DTW or MSP even though the perimeter rule means no nonstops to SLC. I'd look at the possible timings for such connections.

I'd also consider aircraft type on the routes you're considering, not only from the viewpoint of comfort but also noting which aircraft types (DeltaConnection, I'm looking at you) are more prone to delays and cancellations.

Depending on your location in the NYC area, EWR, LGA or JFK could be (much) more convenient.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If those are the only two options that you have, I’d fly out of EWR due to the smaller DL terminal, minimal construction at EWR vs LGA, and a few extra mins in ATL. If IROPS happens with the EWR-ATL flight, you always have the EWR-SLC flight to fall back on. If IROPS happens at LGA, your stuck with only ATL as they don’t have a SLC flight from there. I’m not aware of any other destinations DL flies non-stop from OAK other than SLC and ATL.
Good info. Getting stuck @ SLC with a quick morning hop home is a lot better than the other options.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:27 am

Where in NY will you be leaving from when you head to the airport?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I'd do JFK-SFO non-stop and then take BART to Oakland. Or fly UA EWR-SFO non-stop.
Duke787 and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
For me, the overriding factor would be the original start place. LGA is a ..... to get in and out of right now and it is never good but maybe on the road to improve. If in Manhattan, it is pretty easy to take NJ Transit from NY Penn Station to EWR. LGA does not have train service all the way to the airport.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'd do JFK-SFO non-stop and then take BART to Oakland. Or fly UA EWR-SFO non-stop.
I'd ask you for the extra grand to sit in a cushier seat on the plane, plus the extra UBERdough to get home.

The F (I) fare with a connection and the convenience of getting into OAK makes this all worth it. And that is why I had specific questions regarding something with which I wasn't too familiar.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Where in NY will you be leaving from when you head to the airport?
Close to the Holland Tunnel, making EWR a not completely revolting option for car travel.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:27 pm

Close to the Holland Tunnel, making EWR a not completely revolting option for car travel.
Yep.. depending on time of day, that might be the best option. The Skyclub at EWR is decently nice and updated. Last time I was there I don't think they had precheck or clear at the delta terminal. I know you said other routes were out, but in case you change your mind there's also now a nonstop from JFK to SJC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.