Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Amex Gold upgrade to Platinum question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I currently have a Delta American Express Gold card, since spend on the gold card no longer qualifies for the MQD waiver I was thinking of upgrading to Platinum. I am currently 4/24 with Chase, and really don't want to use the final slot for another Delta card, but I see some lucrative sign up offers for the Plat card currently. I paid my Gold cards annual fee in November. What advice can you offer me so I can get the best bonus for upgrading? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: delta
You might not get the mileage bonus for upgrading. There is no bonus going from DL SM Plat card to reserve as I found out when speaking to AMEX rep.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by outofPHL
You might not get the mileage bonus for upgrading. There is no bonus going from DL SM Plat card to reserve as I found out when speaking to AMEX rep.
There are targetted offers, a couple of years ago I got an offer to upgrade to the Reserve from the Platinum and get 10,000 RDMs. I don't recall if there was a spending requirement.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by outofPHL
Bummer did you try to HUACA?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
There are targetted offers, a couple of years ago I got an offer to upgrade to the Reserve from the Platinum and get 10,000 RDMs. I don't recall if there was a spending requirement.
That's a good idea for me to check my physical junk mail for a flyer or call and ask for an offer and say that I am willing for spend to be required.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:25 am

semi off-topic but is there an easy way to tell how far under 5/24 I am with Chase, or is my only option to look at the inquiries on my credit report?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:04 am
GRG

Programs: DL SM
Back in December I was offered (and took) 15,000 miles to upgrade from the DL Gold to Plat with only a 1K spend requirement. I could have gone for the 75K SUB offered at the time for opening a new account, but I'm trying to maximize my credit score for a new car purchase later this year so that means no hard pulls or new accounts for me. I came across that offer while poking around the AMEX website, but I'm sure they'd offer something similar if you called.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:43 am

I downgraded from the AMEX Gold to AMEX Blue right before renewal because I didn't want to pay the annual fee ($99) and I already got my signup bonus from the AMEX Gold. If you call and talk about downgrading they will more than likely offer you a bonus of some sort to upgrade to the AMEX Platinum; they did for me. Some minor spending requirement to get miles or something. The $250 fee for the AMEX Platinum you still have to pay though.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
semi off-topic but is there an easy way to tell how far under 5/24 I am with Chase, or is my only option to look at the inquiries on my credit report?
Credit Karma is how I track my 5/24
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
I downgraded from the AMEX Gold to AMEX Blue right before renewal because I didn't want to pay the annual fee ($99) and I already got my signup bonus from the AMEX Gold. If you call and talk about downgrading they will more than likely offer you a bonus of some sort to upgrade to the AMEX Platinum; they did for me. Some minor spending requirement to get miles or something. The $250 fee for the AMEX Platinum you still have to pay though.
Interesting... Revese Psychology
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Doctor of Credit is reporting some people are getting 40,000 bonus points to upgrade (after meeting a spend requirement.)
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
As a data point, I was looking at the activity on my Delta Amex Plat activity just now and noticed an offer to upgrade to the Reserve card. Spend $5K in sixty days, get 10K RDMs. I don't see anything about MQMs other than the 15K/15K at the $30K/$60K spending milestones.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by discountsae
Doctor of Credit is reporting some people are getting 40,000 bonus points to upgrade (after meeting a spend requirement.)
I just got an email today from Amex with this offer. 40K bonus after spending $3K in a three month period. What I can't find and don't remember about the new benefits is, does the Platinum card still allow you to buy day passes for the SkyClub?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I just got an email today from Amex with this offer. 40K bonus after spending $3K in a three month period. What I can't find and don't remember about the new benefits is, does the Platinum card still allow you to buy day passes for the SkyClub?
You and up to two guests can access Sky Clubs for $39/visit.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
You and up to two guests can access Sky Clubs for $39/visit.
Thanks. I thought so, just couldn't find an answer. Considering an upgrade since my Gold card no longer has that benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.