Medallion upgrade taken away at gate

Old Feb 5, 20, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Medallion upgrade taken away at gate

Onboard RDU-LGA and Iím mad. Not cause itís a long flight but because how I was treated.

Was #1 for 2 open all afternoon. At t-30, got the upgrade (same w the guy behind me) and boarding started. At t-25 when I went to leave the club I looked again and somehow my seat went back to its original comfort plus.

raced to gate (t-20) and asked ... happened. They wouldnít answer me and asked just to please scan my BP. ďWe had a seat but now we donítĒ. I said they why didnít #2 get bumped? Then the response changed to ďwe must have called you and you didnít answer.Ē

I donít have the original upgraded screenshot but you can see the below it clearly shows my zone as first and as me being upgraded first before the guy in 1D.

shenanigans?? They wanted no part of talking to me at gate. Iíve never filed a complaint w delta in my life and I could care less if I missed the upgrade on this flight but Iím pretty angry at the treatment.

Last edited by royevans75; Feb 6, 20 at 4:55 am
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:02 pm

your name is still in the screenshot, if you care to edit it out...

not being at the gate when boarding starts seems like asking for trouble.
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Didn't get answered politely ranks right up there with someone kicking my dog or setting fire to my house as the things I would spend time complaining to a bunch of strangers on the Internet about when I didn't really care much if the outcome was changed anyway.
WestCoastPDX likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Not to sound like a DYKWIA, but since when has not being at the gate the moment boarding starts been a prerequisite for securing an upgrade?

ive walked on t-18 and the machine spits out the new pass...
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
It could have been someone who was connecting inbound and they figured he would not make it, so they upgraded you. That person then did show up and demanded his first class seat.
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james318 View Post
Didn't get answered politely ranks right up there with someone kicking my dog or setting fire to my house as the things I would spend time complaining to a bunch of strangers on the Internet about when I didn't really care much if the outcome was changed anyway.
Ha I canít tell if you agree with me or not. Again, could care less about the 1 hour flight, and maybe Iím spoiled, but delta CS has generally been great to me and this was very surprising so wanted to know from the more experienced crew here why it might have happened. I like getting on last (but reasonably so) if Iím traveling light
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
It could have been someone who was connecting inbound and they figured he would not make it, so they upgraded you. That person then did show up and demanded his first class seat.
Totally understand and assumed this was the reason. Then why not take it from Mr. #2 was my question to the GA
hi55us and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by royevans75 View Post
Ha I canít tell if you agree with me or not. Again, could care less about the 1 hour flight, and maybe Iím spoiled, but delta CS has generally been great to me and this was very surprising so wanted to know from the more experienced crew here why it might have happened. I like getting on last (but reasonably so) if Iím traveling light
Generally, DL CS has treated me really well too, hence the reason I fly them, but they are not perfect. I have some recent examples of outstanding customer service, including my last flight, but also some real doozies. DL can be very inconsistent, and as much as you fly, I am sure you have run across this. I have learned not to take anything for granted. If I have any chance at an upgrade, VDB, standing by for a flight, etc., I am always near the podium when the GA arrives and check in at the podium a few minutes later with an innocent question. If it looks like I will clear, I might request a specific seat assignment or if it looks accurate that I will clear, or if I am a few down, if there might be any no-shows or misconnects that would open up a seat for me. Its unfortunate that this is how the game must be played, but these days, you have to put in a little extra effort if you want the benefits you are entitled to.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Generally, DL CS has treated me really well too, hence the reason I fly them, but they are not perfect. I have some recent examples of outstanding customer service, including my last flight, but also some real doozies. DL can be very inconsistent, and as much as you fly, I am sure you have run across this. I have learned not to take anything for granted. If I have any chance at an upgrade, VDB, standing by for a flight, etc., I am always near the podium when the GA arrives and check in at the podium a few minutes later with an innocent question. If it looks like I will clear, I might request a specific seat assignment or if it looks accurate that I will clear, or if I am a few down, if there might be any no-shows or misconnects that would open up a seat for me. Its unfortunate that this is how the game must be played, but these days, you have to put in a little extra effort if you want the benefits you are entitled to.
yeah I donít disagree with any of that. I just havenít experience it before. Live and learn.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
At least you got your original C+ seat back; sometimes an upgrade is processed, then the late arriving passenger gets their F seat back, and the medallion ends up in 24B.
dmarge18 and ryw like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Totally understand and assumed this was the reason. Then why not take it from Mr. #2 was my question to the GA
Probably because the guy who unexpectedly showed up was the one who originally had your seat and it was easier and faster to just put you back to C+ and a game of musical chairs between you and the other upgrade.

The agents original response ďwe had a seat and now we donítĒ may not have been what you wanted to hear but it really wasnít lying and from a practical standpoint was true. I donít think itís reasonable for an agent to go through the details of what happened since 1) the situation isnít going to change and 2) itís really none of a passengers business. I agree they should apologize for not downgrading the other guy but sometimes things just are what they are.

My guess is that there was not bad faith but the agents reacted to the evolving situation the best they could. On such a short flight is just drop the issue.

Last edited by kenn0223; Feb 5, 20 at 4:39 pm
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
Probably because the guy who unexpectedly showed up was the one who originally had your seat and it was easier and faster to just put you back to C+ and a game of musical chairs between you and the other upgrade.
Youíre probably right and you know what? This also would have been fine by me if the GA hadnít been such an ...
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
Youíre probably right and you know what? This also would have been fine by me if the GA hadnít been such an ...
It might be worth a ďtalk to us commentĒ on the web site. I would not want the pressure of a GA, but I am guessing the constructive criticism would be useful to that person in the future.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
It might be worth a ďtalk to us commentĒ on the web site. I would not want the pressure of a GA, but I am guessing the constructive criticism would be useful to that person in the future.
THIS!
Only a handful of times I have felt that I was not treated right by the FA - fortunately no issues with any GAs yet! I have always politely pointed out the deficiencies in email/survey response etc. and every time, either got a very courteous reply back with promise to improve in future or handful of miles as compensation.
Old Feb 5, 20, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Not to sound like a DYKWIA, but since when has not being at the gate the moment boarding starts been a prerequisite for securing an upgrade?

ive walked on t-18 and the machine spits out the new pass...
I have not experienced the situation you had specifically, but I had an issue where I was passed over for an upgrade (when being #1 on the list for 1 seat) due to not being at the gate when my name was called. I arrived to the gate around T-30 min. I challenged the agent and she admitted to skipping me because I wasn't at the gate, and that it was too lateótoo bad so sad. I later wrote into Delta and asked them to review and clarify if the Delta policy requires the passenger to be at the gate when boarding starts and their name called in order to receive an upgrade (I was at the nearby SkyClub). The response from Delta was that the customer need not be at the gate to receive a complimentary upgrade, and that the GA acted out of policy/process. They would review with the local management team and work on additional training.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: