Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by blitzcon
I agree. I have bid online for dozens of flights and usually nothing happens (they have enough seats at the gate.) But two anecdotes:

1. Had a flight DTW-IAH that I bid online $500. Had a tight connection and boarded near the end / didn't hear the announcements. The GA comes ON BOARD and asks me at my seat if I still want to take a bump. I declined since at that point I was ready to get to Houston. She used a PA on board and got another volunteer!

2. Had a flight MSP-MSN same thing. This time, at the gate, before any announcements, they paged me to ask if I would still take a bump. I declined since the available option at that point was VERY late but I talked another passenger (student) into doing it and explained how it works.

So once in a while, the online list gets used.
I agree. It is very rare though. One time on PHX-ATL (about 3-4 years ago), I put in a bid and I went to the GA at T-1 hr to inquire. She looked at the list and said, "someone has underbid you and we only need one person." I offered to lower my "bid" and she refused to even tell me what the other pax bid. Therefore, now I play the VDB game like the Price-Is-Right. Always bid $1 so that I never have to have that argument again. GA's always chuckle now when they see my bid and say "Honey, I can't give you a $1...how about you take $800?"
Zorak likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by blitzcon
I agree. I have bid online for dozens of flights and usually nothing happens (they have enough seats at the gate.) But two anecdotes:

1. Had a flight DTW-IAH that I bid online $500. Had a tight connection and boarded near the end / didn't hear the announcements. The GA comes ON BOARD and asks me at my seat if I still want to take a bump. I declined since at that point I was ready to get to Houston. She used a PA on board and got another volunteer!
When the GA comes on board it's time to ask "how much?" There's a very good chance they'll raise the amount because they need the seat and they're in a hurry.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:05 am

DCA-BOS yesterday (2/9). Bumped off the 5pm for $700 with a confirmed seat on the 7pm. Plus they put me in first class. Then the 7pm is over sold and I took another $500 to take the 10pm. They had reissued my ticket into J and it stuck when I moved to the 10pm as well. $1200 for an evening in the Delta SkyClub was not bad.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
JFK-DCA earlier this week. Bid $800 at checkin. Asked at the Skyclub and was told they needed one unless there were misconnects, which usually means I won't be needed. Got to the gate and was paged and offered $900 if I was willing to take a flight tomorrow. Accepted and spent the night at the TWA hotel for $150. Even got the upgrade the next day when I was originally going out in economy. Only annoying part was the redcoat kept misspelling my name and e-mail address and it took 20 minutes to get the paperwork done.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by steveholt
JFK-DCA earlier this week. Bid $800 at checkin. Asked at the Skyclub and was told they needed one unless there were misconnects, which usually means I won't be needed. Got to the gate and was paged and offered $900 if I was willing to take a flight tomorrow. Accepted and spent the night at the TWA hotel for $150. Even got the upgrade the next day when I was originally going out in economy. Only annoying part was the redcoat kept misspelling my name and e-mail address and it took 20 minutes to get the paperwork done.
You had to pay for the hotel? I've always had that as part of the deal.
largeeyes, CO-PLAT, ekozie and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Guessing there won't be too much activity in this thread for a while :-/ unless a bunch of people suddenly need to flee a new hotspot...
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:12 pm

Probably MASSIVE vouchers for Europe>USA travel on 3/13.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:10 pm
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Probably MASSIVE vouchers for Europe>USA travel on 3/13.
Unclear. I doubt the flights were that full to start with, and I doubt DL would overbook them after the announcement.
Zorak likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by findark
Unclear. I doubt the flights were that full to start with, and I doubt DL would overbook them after the announcement.
This likely would have been true if as initially announced it applied to US citizens.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This likely would have been true if as initially announced it applied to US citizens.
I meant that DL would be unlikely to be willing to overbook in the first place if they know it's a panic situation.
Zorak likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Not surprisingly, there aren't any posts in this thread for a year.
Oddly enough, with DL flying A330s 5x a day MSP-PHX, it's showing sold out for many flights. For example, today there are scatterd $1300 F seats but nothing else for sale for any of the widebody nonstops.
I would imagine DL is enforcing its middle-seat-open policy so these planes aren't completely full. But would there be VDBs in this economy for DL? Just curious as I'm flying 3/29 and already most of those A330 flights are already sold out (on a Monday!). I got a $89 OW ticket that I'm using a RUC for the D1 seat, so I doubt I'd take a VDB unless it was good anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Not surprisingly, there aren't any posts in this thread for a year.
Oddly enough, with DL flying A330s 5x a day MSP-PHX, it's showing sold out for many flights. For example, today there are scatterd $1300 F seats but nothing else for sale for any of the widebody nonstops.
I would imagine DL is enforcing its middle-seat-open policy so these planes aren't completely full. But would there be VDBs in this economy for DL? Just curious as I'm flying 3/29 and already most of those A330 flights are already sold out (on a Monday!). I got a $89 OW ticket that I'm using a RUC for the D1 seat, so I doubt I'd take a VDB unless it was good anyway.
I got 2 $600 vouchers on Prez Day weekend flying from BUF> ATL.
kyushuman likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:27 pm

Lga to miami

Scored $1000 this weekend on a oversold flight to MIA from LGA. This summer is going to be awesome $$$ with a lot of “revenge travel.”
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:33 pm

CMH-BOS today $1000.00 plus hotel!
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:47 pm

I was SO happy with my 1k score, then I read this...holy crap.... Airlines are back to overselling flights, and one traveler walked away with a $4,500 voucher after a Delta flight to Iceland was oversold by 30 people (msn.com)
kyushuman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.