Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France, KLM, Delta and Virgin Atlantic launch world’s leading partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France, KLM, Delta and Virgin Atlantic launch world’s leading partnership

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by hi55us
I don't get why VS doesn't just join Skyteam...
If I had to guess...it would be a PIA (not Peoria) for a carrier that only flies to a small handful of non US destinations. Coming to agreements with a bunch of carriers for Code-Shares and FF benefits for what I imagine would be an incredibly small amount of customers probably isn't worth it.

Heck DL barely seems to want to be in SkyTeam anymore...it's JV or bust. WS, VS, VA, LA.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I'm surprised that they aren't calling this a 'Flagship' partnership

I wish VA would join in on this. AF/KLM don't fly to Australia and there would be a lot of potential to connect in HKG, Tokyo, or even DPS.
VA does seem like they would be a natural fit given their already strong partnership with DL and existing codeshares with VS. Currently FB members trying to fly from western EU to Australia end up on EY or QF metal it seems unless they want to take a longer routing.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
What do you see happening with the partnership then?
From a US-based Delta flyer's standpoint? Not much. Delta already had two separate JVs with AF/KL and VS. This is creating a single JV with all four airlines.

The biggest change will likely be the ability to earn SkyMiles on flights that are code-shared across what were previously two separate JVs. As an example, AFAIK VS-coded, AF-operated flights do not earn SkyMiles currently. That's likely to change for the better.

There may also be some nice opportunities for redeeming VS miles on AF flights which isn't Delta-specific but applies to many on here since VS is an Amex MR transfer partner (with frequent transfer bonuses).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I'm surprised that they aren't calling this a 'Flagship' partnership

I wish VA would join in on this. AF/KLM don't fly to Australia and there would be a lot of potential to connect in HKG, Tokyo, or even DPS.
AFKL has recently announced a partnership with Qantas for this; https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/news...n-qantas-group
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by hi55us
I don't get why VS doesn't just join Skyteam...
The question is, why would they? What do they gain?

Alliances are dying. They come with a lot of baggage. Look at DL, they ignore half of Skyteam and don't cooporate with them, yet they still have to offer reciprocal benefits like lounge access, priority boarding, etc to members that they don't like or even are almost at war with. DL will give non-alliance members like VS everything they want and more if they partner up, so why would VS get stuck in an Alliance, especially one like Skyteam which is the worst?

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
AFKL has recently announced a partnership with Qantas for this; https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/news...n-qantas-group
I know, and it's a shame because the agreement is pretty useless but keeps them from working with VA... As a DL elite in Australia it's a bad deal. I know AU-based flyers aren't a really important market for DL, but having to fly to Europe from Australia is a big reason why I dropped DL status.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
The expanded JV is a positive insofar as offering more flight options. However, AF and KL took over their North American call center support from Delta as of early March, and some of the seamless interoperability between the carriers (e.g., using vouchers/eCredits) has faded.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
The expanded JV is a positive insofar as offering more flight options. However, AF and KL took over their North American call center support from Delta as of early March, and some of the seamless interoperability between the carriers (e.g., using vouchers/eCredits) has faded.
I called in June to redeem some KLM/AF vouchers, front line agent called to another desk (maybe the JV desk?) and the agent was able to do it. I asked about the changes to customer service, agent said a small group with the AFKL training were able to retain access to those systems. Also said that AFKL took over because DL was spending too many resources servicing AFKL tickets. Takeaway is that unless things have changed since June, some agents may still be able to get ahold of these folks.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
I called in June to redeem some KLM/AF vouchers, front line agent called to another desk (maybe the JV desk?) and the agent was able to do it. I asked about the changes to customer service, agent said a small group with the AFKL training were able to retain access to those systems. Also said that AFKL took over because DL was spending too many resources servicing AFKL tickets. Takeaway is that unless things have changed since June, some agents may still be able to get ahold of these folks.
The guys at the JV support desk can still book DL tickets using vouchers from AF/KL. They have access to KLM systems and login to book the reservation via the AF/KL system. I did this earlier this year. Voucher issued by KLM , booking one segment DL operated flight. You end up with an AF/KL ticket stock and PNR (plus DL PNR).

Agents hate it! Major pain.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The guys at the JV support desk can still book DL tickets using vouchers from AF/KL. They have access to KLM systems and login to book the reservation via the AF/KL system. I did this earlier this year. Voucher issued by KLM , booking one segment DL operated flight. You end up with an AF/KL ticket stock and PNR (plus DL PNR).

Agents hate it! Major pain.
Does that limit your upgrade window to day of departure once DL takes over the ticket?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Does that limit your upgrade window to day of departure once DL takes over the ticket?
No. All that matters is the coding of the flight. Tickets aren't reissued for elite upgrades. If purchasing a DL fare using an AF/KL voucher, while ticket stock will be AF/KL, you get DL coded flights.

PS DL can still takeover an AF/KL ticket at any point. Thus if you have a schedule change or want to upgrade using DL miles, DL can still do that. The new ticket will then be a 006 ticket in that case.
mattp1987 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Not till they announce that. Right now nothing has changed in that regard.
Has DL updated its policy on this?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
So will I now earn MQM if I book a flight op. by VS on an AF or KL code?
Not till they announce that. Right now nothing has changed in that regard.
Has DL updated its policy on this?
Has anybody seen any more info on this?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ecaarch
Has anybody seen any more info on this?
Nothing has changed.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:58 am
Suspended

I have a ticket IAD-LHR-CDG o/w. VS ticket stock, both flights marketed by VS, the first flight op. by VS, the second op. by AF (i.e., the second flight is VS6715).

As is clear from DL's airline partner tables, the second flight will earn nothing in SM (relevant exclusion: mileage earn is only applicable for flights op. by VS, DL, Delta Shuttle, or Delta Connection).

This itinerary means I cannot access the clubhouse in LHR, just the one in IAD (provided it is open), correct? Is there any other lounge I can access in LHR by virtue of PM status, like the Plaza Premium?

I want to credit the TATL to SM. Can I switch the FFP in LHR to AFKL so that the second flight will be credited to FB? Or is this bound to give rise to problems?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 8mh
I have a ticket IAD-LHR-CDG o/w. VS ticket stock, both flights marketed by VS, the first flight op. by VS, the second op. by AF (i.e., the second flight is VS6715).

As is clear from DL's airline partner tables, the second flight will earn nothing in SM (relevant exclusion: mileage earn is only applicable for flights op. by VS, DL, Delta Shuttle, or Delta Connection).

This itinerary means I cannot access the clubhouse in LHR, just the one in IAD (provided it is open), correct? Is there any other lounge I can access in LHR by virtue of PM status, like the Plaza Premium?

I want to credit the TATL to SM. Can I switch the FFP in LHR to AFKL so that the second flight will be credited to FB? Or is this bound to give rise to problems?
You can access Clubhouse at LHR. You're PM and the DL/VS partnership Grant's access in connection with a same day TATL US/UK. The main issue is that AF operates from T4, not T3 at LHR. After you exit plane, you'll get on bus to T4 and clear security there. Thus no access to Clubhouse due to layout of LHR. AF will give access to Skyteam lounge in T4 if it's open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.