Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX SkyClub Access When Flying Virgin Australia

Old Feb 3, 20, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM + Reserve Card

I've got a long layover at LAX, and would like to access the DL SkyClub. I'm a SkyClub member through the Reserve Amex, and have a DL codeshare flight number, but will be departing out of the TBIT. I'm also in Business Class and DL Plat if it matters. Would like to use the SkyClub during the time before the VA checkin desk opens. I'll also have access to the airside portion of T3 upon the arrival of my incoming DL flight. Will I be allowed in?
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You should have access to the Virgin Australia lounge by virtue of your Business Class ticket and you should have access to the DL SkyClub by virtue of Reserve AMEX in conjunction with your incoming DL flight and as a result of your Business Class ticket (https://www.delta.com/us/en/airline-...rgin-australia)

This is the page that highlights your lounge access for the VA ticket (https://www.virginaustralia.com/us/e...ge-access/#LAX)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Yes, you are owed access to the Skyclub when flying VA as a PM, and also due to your J cabin ticket.

Ideally you have a VA boarding pass (from OLCI). If not, technically you can't access the club but I'd have a printed itinerary and hopefully they are OK with it.

You may consider just going to the Emirates lounge to check-in with the VA agent there, if you only have carry-on luggage. I have done this before without issue, and then you don't have to re-clear security (TBIT security can be really bad sometimes, there is no elite line and you can't get Precheck on a VA BP).

VA uses the Emirates lounge at TBIT for their J passengers and VA elites. DL status does not gain you access to this lounge, but a J ticket should. I'm not 100% sure about the DL codeshare J ticket, so please let us know if you try this and how you go. But my gut feel is that you will still get access.

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
you should have access to the DL SkyClub by virtue of Reserve AMEX in conjunction with your incoming DL flight and as a result of your Business Class ticket
Any DL elite GM and above has access to the Skyclub when flying VA (if they can physically access the Skyclub). Even flying Y.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Will you be checking bags? DL will check bags to VA across tickets. If so DL should issue the VA BP. There's no need to exit security.

Regardless if the EK lounge is open you should be able to head there even without a BP (if DL hasn't issued). Have a copy of your reservation.
Old Feb 3, 20, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Will you be checking bags? DL will check bags to VA across tickets. If so DL should issue the VA BP. There's no need to exit security.
I've never successfully obtained a VA BP at an outpost unless it was part of the ticketed itinerary. But it's probably worth asking.
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I've never successfully obtained a VA BP at an outpost unless it was part of the ticketed itinerary. But it's probably worth asking.
As long as checking bags I've never had an issue.
Old Feb 3, 20, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM + Reserve Card
Not checking bags. Was thinking I might need to go to VA desk to check in if OLCI won’t verify my stored passport on the DL app. Happens when I fly VS SFO-LHR

But sounds like I should be able to get into the SkyClub after I land at LAX before the VA flight

Last edited by PotomacApproach; Feb 3, 20 at 8:26 pm
Old Feb 3, 20, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
Not checking bags. Was thinking I might need to go to VA deal to check in if OLCI won’t verify my stored passport on the DL app. Happens when I fly VS SFO-LHR

But sounds like I should be able to get into the SkyClub after I land at LAX before the VA flight
Yes. You can goto either.
Old Feb 3, 20, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
Not checking bags. Was thinking I might need to go to VA desk to check in if OLCI won’t verify my stored passport on the DL app.
If your trip starts with a VA operated flight, the DL app has nothing to do with checking in. Your trip is wholly handled by VA. You can download the VA app if you want, but it's not really any different than the VA website. Get your VA PNR from Delta so you can do OLCI with VA.

I am pretty sure you'll be able to do OLCI with VA (entering your passport details) and get a 'BP-like' printout that says you need to show ID at check-in. Then you can get docs checked at the Emirates lounge in TBIT, or at the gate.
Old Feb 4, 20, 2:20 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So if you for some reason can't get your BP from online or when you check in, when you walk towards T4 from TBIT you'll see kiosks that you can print boarding passes. There must be others around TBIT but hadn't looked specifically. I had to do that on a 9 hour layover gong to CI but got my BP easily so I could get into the DL SC (via my status and lifetime membership) and avoid going out to the check-in desk.
Old Feb 4, 20, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, AA Gold
OP, if you have a DL Reserve card and are flying DL into LAX, you could access the SC on arrival even without an onward flight.

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
You should have access to the Virgin Australia lounge by virtue of your Business Class ticket and you should have access to the DL SkyClub by virtue of Reserve AMEX in conjunction with your incoming DL flight and as a result of your Business Class ticket (https://www.delta.com/us/en/airline-...rgin-australia)

This is the page that highlights your lounge access for the VA ticket (https://www.virginaustralia.com/us/e...ge-access/#LAX)
This is all good information, but just to clarify it's the Emirates lounge that VA uses. VA does not operate their own lounge at LAX.
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
This is all good information, but just to clarify it's the Emirates lounge that VA uses. VA does not operate their own lounge at LAX.
Admittedly, I have never been to the EK lounge at LAX, but wouldn't that be a FAR better experience than the SkyClub?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Admittedly, I have never been to the EK lounge at LAX, but wouldn't that be a FAR better experience than the SkyClub?
I would assume so, but I've also never been. When I flew VA, they were using the Star Alliance lounge at LAX which is also nicer than the SkyClub.

Actually, on that trip I had a similar scenario to OP with an 8+ hour layover. We landed, went immediately to the SkyClub to watch a college basketball game, made our way to TBIT to check out the Star Alliance lounge, left the airport for dinner with a friend, and returned to TBIT to use the Star Alliance lounge again before our flight left around midnight.
Old Feb 4, 20, 12:29 pm

Yes the EK lounge is definitely a far better experience than the SkyClub
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:37 pm

Yes the EK lounge is far better than the SkyClub. But it's only available for VA passengers starting at 5pm (or 4 hours before the your VA departure, for the rare daytime flight).

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD View Post
So if you for some reason can't get your BP from online or when you check in, when you walk towards T4 from TBIT you'll see kiosks that you can print boarding passes. There must be others around TBIT but hadn't looked specifically. I had to do that on a 9 hour layover gong to CI but got my BP easily so I could get into the DL SC (via my status and lifetime membership) and avoid going out to the check-in desk.
These kiosks don't work for every airline, and definitely don't work for VA.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 4, 20 at 5:45 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: