split PNR or not

Old Feb 3, 20, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of the above
split PNR or not

Every year we take the family to Mexico for a vacation. I purchase 7 tickets and understand as a Gold Medallion member up to 8 in my reservation receive my baggage benefits. Does splitting my PNR ( for upgrades)negate this?
Old Feb 3, 20, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Diamond
Do others in your family have status that would make them eligible for medallion upgrades?
Old Feb 3, 20, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flylinda View Post
Every year we take the family to Mexico for a vacation. I purchase 7 tickets and understand as a Gold Medallion member up to 8 in my reservation receive my baggage benefits. Does splitting my PNR ( for upgrades)negate this?
Here's the issue. DL agents can waive baggage fees in this situation where you've split a PNR. My guess is that a US-based agent will be more likely to understand how that is done and the circumstances where they can justify the waiver. I would wonder if Mexico-based agents would have the same flexibility. You might find that fees were waived to Mexico, but not waived on the return journey.

So, don't split the PNR - and the computer calculates your baggage fees (zero). No upgrades for you and companion, since more than one companion is in the PNR.

Or, go ahead and split the PNR. Computer calculates baggage fees in each direction. While a US-based agent may choose to waive the fees, I wonder if a Mexico-based agent will. You and one companion are eligible for complimentary upgrades.

That's the choice - perhaps others could offer actual experience in this scenario.
badgerchemist likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by flylinda View Post
No...doesn't have to be on the same PNR, in this case, due to splitting. If you split and check in on the kiosk...just put zero bags and let the agent take care of it. I know from experience.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by OHDL1 View Post
No...doesn't have to be on the same PNR, in this case, due to splitting. If you split and check in on the kiosk...just put zero bags and let the agent take care of it. I know from experience.
while the majority of times you will get away with it, delta is not obligated to waive bag fees on split pnr. I agree, I have never had a problem, but Iím only +1. But find a bad agent or an agent on a bad day, and the rules may get a lot more rigid.

I would not risk 7 bag fees each way for a potential upgrade especially as a gold.
Old Feb 5, 20, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
In my experiences, the companions to get the baggage benne do not have to be in the same PNR.

My wife and daughters flew to Alaska last year from ATL, met wife's relatives there.
11 of us flying on at least 4 different PNRs.
MrsBHammy is also DM, so it got us past the eight - but they all had our baggage allowance.

Delta's website even says:
"The benefit extends on the Medallion Member’s reservation to a total of 8 travel companions, when traveling on a Delta-operated flight"
Companions, nothing about same reservation. As long as you have the same itinerary.

Last edited by BHammy; Feb 5, 20 at 7:36 pm Reason: added info
Old Feb 5, 20, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
Delta's website even says:
"The benefit extends on the Medallion Memberís reservation to a total of 8 travel companions, when traveling on a Delta-operated flight"
Companions, nothing about same reservation. As long as you have the same itinerary.
I see the word reservation in Delta's verbiage.
BHammy likes this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 7:49 am

We are doing something similar. 9 of us to Ireland in March, I booked all together and split wife and I off to get C+ upgrade as a Platinum. I believe we each get 2 free checked bags so I am trying to limit the checked items for the group to that. 1 per couple. I suppose I could ask for the rest to not be charged and at US departure would probably be allowed but leaving Europe it may not.
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by bloc0102 View Post
I see the word reservation in Delta's verbiage.
Agreed, but just confirmed at Delta desk (called for other issue, but asked) that only the flight numbers have to match, not same reservation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: