Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying 2 coach seats for one person / EXST on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
just used one last night for the exact dates i wanted....was impressed they were available.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:05 pm

Curious if anyone has tried this recently? Came up in another thread and got my curious mind thinking...
Old May 10, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by levilevi
Curious if anyone has tried this recently? Came up in another thread and got my curious mind thinking...
Would love to know how it works on Upgrade list!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:24 pm

EXST on Delta?

My wife and I are both fat and so we used points to book a third seat in between us on DAL. We booked via phone and the ticket was booked as EXST and the woman on the phone seemed very familiar with the process.

Does anybody have any experience doing this? We've found some horror stories online, gate agents challenging you or god forbid EXST getting bumped for someone else. We unseunders we have to get EXST's boarding pass scanned and explain the situation to the gate agent before we board but are otherwise in the dark.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Don't recall seeing anything recent off hand for DL, but here are some threads from 2014/15:

Expiring Companion Voucher

Extra seat/International/EC
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:42 pm

I'd like to think the incidents from several years ago, not just on DL but industry wide, put DL on notice that it's not worth the PR disaster that comes from hassling people about extra seats. Much like the increased focus on reducing IDB. Enough bad PR makes everyone (except Comcast and AT&T) Better.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
I know a person who buys two coach seats because its cheaper than buying a Business Class seat. She always makes sure to have that Boarding Pass. On one incident, her other seat was assigned to another passenger and she had to argue her case. Luckily she had that Boarding Pass for that other seat.

Good luck, make sure you have your paperwork( itineraries for 3 seats and 3 boarding passes), and all should be okay.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Yes. I have done it before. Pretty easy actually. I was going to China and it was cheaper to just buy the extra seat. That said, on each flight someone tried to sit there. So I ended up just keeping my bag and magazine on the seat until take off or when I used the lav.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I and a friend did this ie got 3 seats for the 2 of us for the final 747 flight. Upgraded to Delta One on the way over and coach on the way back.

I have a post with some ideas on my blog about the joys and pitfalls to avoid: https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...lta-air-lines/

If you can not fly biz class on a long flight extra space is just nice I have to say not matter what your size.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I and a friend did this ie got 3 seats for the 2 of us for the final 747 flight. Upgraded to Delta One on the way over and coach on the way back.

I have a post with some ideas on my blog about the joys and pitfalls to avoid: https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...lta-air-lines/

If you can not fly biz class on a long flight extra space is just nice I have to say not matter what your size.
1)EXST can be booked online. You just substitute EXST for your first name, with last name being yours for 2nd passenger.
2)DL doesn't charge phone fees for any bookings, not just those that can't be done online.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by flyerCO
1)EXST can be booked online. You just substitute EXST for your first name, with last name being yours for 2nd passenger.
2)DL doesn't charge phone fees for any bookings, not just those that can't be done online.
1) Interesting. I would still call on these

2) From the USA that is. See: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...g-charges.html

Also, in the past, Delta did charge a fee. Ended late 2016 if I remember right.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve done the EXST on several airlines (including DL), usually buying the middle for 2 pax as a “poor man’s first class”. Usually I’ll do it online. B6 makes it especially easy. But I’ve done it on DL also. Recently I called because we did 2x FC outbound and 3x Y return and so it couldn’t be on one PNR. So the agent booked the EXST return separately but cross-referenced the reservations. FWIW we couldn’t do OLCI for the return flight and I think possibly the outbound flight (I don’t remember).

In any event - have never had a problem onboard. I do make a habit of letting the gate agent scanning the boarding passes know that we have an extra seat, which I think can prevent the passenger count from being off (if they still do manual head counts).

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Renes Points
1) Interesting. I would still call on these

2) From the USA that is. See: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...g-charges.html

Also, in the past, Delta did charge a fee. Ended late 2016 if I remember right.
Yes back in 2016 they ended it. Apparently some select CTO in Europe (I'm gonna guess AF/KL run) still charge it. However absent that one unlikely example, there's no fee.

There's plenty of examples here on FT of booking the extra seat online.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Your candor, I have to say, is refreshing ("My wife and I are fat . . .), if somewhat startling. I really admire your practicality and consideration for others in booking the extra seat.

Bravo. Wish everyone was like you.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Your candor, I have to say, is refreshing ("My wife and I are fat . . .), if somewhat startling. I really admire your practicality and consideration for others in booking the extra seat.

Bravo. Wish everyone was like you.
I like to consider myself "calorically challenged". Much more PC!
mattspod likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.