Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AF to DL 13 hour overnight transit baggage issue

Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

We are flying from Palma de Mallorca to Salt Lake City on one ticket issued by Delta in business class.
It is Air France non-stop PMI-CDG arriving 9:30pm. The next flight is DL non-stop CDG-SLC the next morning at 10:30am.
This is a 13 hour transit.
Delta tells me they won't normally accept bags that have a connection in excess of 12 hours.
Can I expect the same from AF if I try and check them though in PMI or does AF have that same policy?
One extra data point - one of the items is a bicycle.
Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Itll check through all the way.

1)it's AF policies that will guide how long bags can be checked between flights. (Under 24hrs, ie upto 23.59 hours.)
2)Even if it was DL, DL will check through up to 23.59 for connections outside US. If you checkin with DL coming back international they will check bags up to 23.59 even for domestic connections.

Basically the 12hr limit is only an issue for domestic connections and even then only if not part of a return from outside US.

You'll have no issue.
arunhn likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
piggybacking on this question - is there any accommodation for overnight connection in CDG for business class passengers? Esp since for now (AFAIK), US citizens are not allowed to go outside to a hotel. I know there is Yotel in 2E. Any chance Delta/AF pays for you to stay there?
Old May 28, 2021, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lerasp
piggybacking on this question - is there any accommodation for overnight connection in CDG for business class passengers? Esp since for now (AFAIK), US citizens are not allowed to go outside to a hotel. I know there is Yotel in 2E. Any chance Delta/AF pays for you to stay there?
No, the hotel is on you. Out of interest, is this on a single ticket?
Old May 28, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
yes, single ticket booked through DL. TUN-CDG 645pm - 10:20p, CDG-JFK 10:20am next day. no other connection options for this itinerary with Delta/AF for/around that date
Old May 28, 2021, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be more expensive but the Sheraton inside CDG T2 is nice and very convenient. However, as it's landside, you would need to be able to enter France for an overnight transit in order to stay there. The rules are changing quickly, so it might be possible by your travel date.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lerasp
Nope. Make sure to book before day of arrival. Otherwise the Yotel is generally fully booked.

Note you will need to go into airside to eat/get drinks. The lounge/dining area by the hotel has closed down permanently.

You can clear security with BP even if flight is next day. Agent might give weird look, but a supervisor/ manager will confirm.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope. Make sure to book before day of arrival. Otherwise the Yotel is generally fully booked.

Note you will need to go into airside to eat/get drinks. The lounge/dining area by the hotel has closed down permanently.

You can clear security with BP even if flight is next day. Agent might give weird look, but a supervisor/ manager will confirm.
Will the OP be able to go landside (enter France/Schengen) on a nonSchengen to nonSchengen connection without EU citizenship/residence etc.?
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Itll check through all the way.

1)it's AF policies that will guide how long bags can be checked between flights. (Under 24hrs, ie upto 23.59 hours.)
2)Even if it was DL, DL will check through up to 23.59 for connections outside US. If you checkin with DL coming back international they will check bags up to 23.59 even for domestic connections.

Basically the 12hr limit is only an issue for domestic connections and even then only if not part of a return from outside US.

You'll have no issue.
Agree with everything FlyerCO mentions, except: "You'll have no issue" - only based on my experience.

Granted, my experience in LAX was 18 months ago, after collecting baggage after a T-con from Atlanta, I cleared my gear thru customs with a carnet.
Went to re-check my bags at the D1 counter for my next leg: LAX-SYD, but SYD was just a connection to BNE.
The counter agent was adamant that the connection time was less than 12 hours. I assured her that it was not.
She grabbed a co-worker who was leaving her shift, she didn't think it was possible.
Counter agent then called her 'support staff' who 'confirmed' it was not possible
I called the DM desk, got an agent who confirmed that it indeed was possible, but the gate agent refused that answer - even hearing it directlly from the phone agent.
A supervisor was called, he didn't think it was possible either.
Just by chance, the supervisor's supervisor was passing by and was asked. He said "sure, anything up to 24 hours" and proceeded to type away at the computer for 2 minutes and it was done.

Problem is that the information is no longer in the International Contract of Carriage, and it's up to the agents to know the rules.
(ironically, the counter agents in my non international hometown Chattanooga know the rules and booked my wife's luggage all the way thru to BNE.)

Again, my instance was late 2019, I'm trusting (hoping) more agents are aware of the rules, as FlyerCO pointed out. So make sure you know the rules when you get an agent who doesn't know the rules (correctly)
Old May 28, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Agreed that this shouldn't be a problem.. I usually have the opposite.. trying to convince them to give me my bag during a 14h layover at CDG... don't they know I'm stopping to buy cheese??
BHammy likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BHammy
Agree with everything FlyerCO mentions, except: "You'll have no issue" - only based on my experience.

Granted, my experience in LAX was 18 months ago, after collecting baggage after a T-con from Atlanta, I cleared my gear thru customs with a carnet.
Went to re-check my bags at the D1 counter for my next leg: LAX-SYD, but SYD was just a connection to BNE.
The counter agent was adamant that the connection time was less than 12 hours. I assured her that it was not.
She grabbed a co-worker who was leaving her shift, she didn't think it was possible.
Counter agent then called her 'support staff' who 'confirmed' it was not possible
I called the DM desk, got an agent who confirmed that it indeed was possible, but the gate agent refused that answer - even hearing it directlly from the phone agent.
A supervisor was called, he didn't think it was possible either.
Just by chance, the supervisor's supervisor was passing by and was asked. He said "sure, anything up to 24 hours" and proceeded to type away at the computer for 2 minutes and it was done.

Problem is that the information is no longer in the International Contract of Carriage, and it's up to the agents to know the rules.
(ironically, the counter agents in my non international hometown Chattanooga know the rules and booked my wife's luggage all the way thru to BNE.)

Again, my instance was late 2019, I'm trusting (hoping) more agents are aware of the rules, as FlyerCO pointed out. So make sure you know the rules when you get an agent who doesn't know the rules (correctly)
DL agents domestic are a different thing than international or AF/KL agents.

Note you can check a bag up to 24hrs even domestically if agent is willing/knows how.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will the OP be able to go landside (enter France/Schengen) on a nonSchengen to nonSchengen connection without EU citizenship/residence etc.?
Till June 9th, no. After that should be possible. I would do so if possible. The Yotel is far away from everything at very end of L gates hall. (Outside security, inside immigration) As noted they permanently closed the restaurant/ vending machines by it. Thus you must walk all the way back to other end, go down a level, clear security (who may give grief if BP is for next day despite it being ok) find something open (not much for L gates) and walk back to Yotel. (Exit security is on far left side of security lanes. It's not obvious and feels like you're going somewhere you shouldn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.