LAX-HNL

Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:07 am
Original Poster

LAX-HNL

Hello,

I thought I saw that Delta had planes that had Delta One class from LAX - HNL not to long ago. Now when I search it looks like Delta doesnít have any planes that have Delta One that fly anywhere to Hawaii. I have never flown delta One and I really wanted to try. Is there a difference?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Anns76
Hello,

I thought I saw that Delta had planes that had Delta One class from LAX - HNL not to long ago. Now when I search it looks like Delta doesnít have any planes that have Delta One that fly anywhere to Hawaii. I have never flown delta One and I really wanted to try. Is there a difference?
I don't know about LAX, but I know some routes out of SLC operate on an A330 on a seasonal basis.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Anns76
Hello,

Delta has never had "Delta One" on LAX-HNL. They do operate a daily 767-300 on LAX-HNL, which comes with the D1 Seat, but receives the domestic FC soft-product (meals, service, etc.) and is marketed as domestic FC (so no SkyClub access). D1 blankets and pillows may be hit or miss, but don't expect to receive a D1 Blanket and Pillow. This flight is the first flight of the morning out of LAX to HNL.
Anns76 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have D1 equipment on the route (a 767 - flights 187 and 184), but it's marketed as First Class, not Delta One. The service standard is not Delta One and you won't get other Delta One benefits like lounge access. The same is true for DL283/DL284, the daily 777 between ATL and LAX. It's Delta One equipment, but is marketed as a First Class flight. The flight is used for positioning for the LAX-SYD flight.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 30, 2020 at 11:19 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Delta has never had "Delta One" on LAX-HNL. They do operate a daily 767-300 on LAX-HNL, which comes with the D1 Seat, but receives the domestic FC soft-product (meals, service, etc.) and is marketed as domestic FC (so no SkyClub access). D1 blankets and pillows may be hit or miss, but don't expect to receive a D1 Blanket and Pillow. This flight is the first flight of the morning out of LAX to HNL.
Originally Posted by xliioper
They have D1 equipment on the route (a 767 - flights 187 and 184), but it's marketed as First Class, not Delta One. The service standard is not Delta One and you won't get other Delta One benefits like lounge access. The same is true for DL283/DL284, the daily 777 between ATL and LAX. It's Delta One equipment, but is marketed as a First Class flight. The flight is used for positioning for the LAX-SYD flight.
The daily morning 767 flight from LAX-HNL is sadly going away in May and is being replaced by a standard 757.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The daily morning 767 flight from LAX-HNL is sadly going away in May and is being replaced by a standard 757.
I was just doing searches on DL app and I'm seeing the 763 on the daily 8:30AM flight as far out as September. Maybe they havent updated the aircraft swap info yet?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
I was just doing searches on DL app and I'm seeing the 763 on the daily 8:30AM flight as far out as September. Maybe they havent updated the aircraft swap info yet?
I just looked and it appears that you are right. DL did some aircraft changes sometime last year and it was reported that the LAX-HNL 767 reposition flight was being replaced. Glad to hear that they reversed course and the morning flight will stay on a 767. It does look like this flight will however switch to the 36J 763 (currently its the 26J configuration)
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I think MSP and ATL are the only ex-HNL flights that have actual Delta One service (both hard and soft product)
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by gitismatt
I think MSP and ATL are the only ex-HNL flights that have actual Delta One service (both hard and soft product)
Correct. (and DTW if/when it ever comes back.)

And also JFK-HNL during the 2 weeks it runs in December/Jan

Last edited by A321neo; Jan 30, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL PM,Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
What is the different on soft-product (meals, service, etc.) between domestic FC and domestic D1? I flew JFK-LAX on D1 and didn't feel too much difference. Besides no lounge access, well, maybe just missing the Cozzzz pillow?

Btw, now DL use 767-300er on 12pm HNL-LAX flight, and some dates the seat map shows 763 with PE seats (2-2-2 comf+), while some dates shows regular old 763 (2-3-2 comf+). Any one knows why?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Iíve been on a decent amount of these routes recently so I can opine.

Delta One flights to Hawaii I think are the longer ones - JFK to HNL, DTW to HNL, MSP to HNL, ATL to HNL/OGG, SLC to HNL/OGG. It doesnít appear that any true West Coast (Basically LAX and SEA) to Hawaii routes have the Delta One designation.

In terms of domestic D1 I have flown JFK to HNL/LAX/SFO over the past few months. It looks like BOS to LAX also is now called D1, but BOS to SFO is not. Also flew SEA to JFK when it had D1 in early 2021 - it looks like SEA to JFK has lost D1 designation. I thought JFK to LAS had Delta One designation at some point on some planes, but I not 100% sure. I have also flown longer routes like BOS to SFO, LAX to OGG, HNL to LAX that were ďregular first classĒ flights.

D1 will get you lounge access, and should get you an elevated drink option and more meal options. For example on the recent JFK to HNL flight they had a drink cart with wine options (a couple of reds, a couple of whites, and sparkling wine - typically Prosecco domestically) - regular first class on HNL to LAX only had canned wine. Meal service on D1 May include a drink and nuts course to start, followed by the main meal. You can also typically preorder a market specific meal on some D1 flights (particularly the transcons). The transcons also used to include a desert cart (cheese or some kind of cake/ice cream were offered), but I havenít seen that on any recent flight yet.

All this being said, Delta downgraded all D1 (international and domestic) significantly during Covid and is still slowly bringing stuff back. So what is actually offered is very inconsistent from flight to flight
NYC Flyer likes this.

Last edited by Adelphos; Mar 29, 2023 at 11:48 pm
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I just booked this flight, and understand it's the old Delta One cabin sold as domestic first class. But it really makes you think, if not for status and miles earning, why does anyone who has the choice of flying in Hawaiian's 767 lie-flat seat pick anything else to/from Hawaii?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DL seats are still lie-flat which is what people mostly care about (even if the service level isn't up to D1 standards). It's not like everyone does exhaustive research on these things (it's fair to assume a number of people will book these DL seats without even realizing they are lie flats).

The route gets upgraded to a modded 763 starting in December. The D1 seats are the same as unmodded 763s, but it will have a cabin refresh (and they are installing a PS cabin). They don't have a separate set of 763s for these domestic FC routes and the same aircraft will be rotated through D1 routes.
msp3 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 12, 2023 at 7:14 am
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by msp3
I just booked this flight, and understand it's the old Delta One cabin sold as domestic first class. But it really makes you think, if not for status and miles earning, why does anyone who has the choice of flying in Hawaiian's 767 lie-flat seat pick anything else to/from Hawaii?
Hawaiian doesn't have 767s (they retired those a while ago). Hawaiian has a A330s with lie-flats and will also have 787s soon but also now flies A321s with standard recliner seats to many West Coast cities.

As for why anyone would choose DL over HA even if not loyal to DL: probably comes down to price and schedule as well as not really knowing (or caring) about the differences. I'm flying to Hawaii later this year on DL in part because of status but going forward after this year, my flight choice to Hawaii will become completely "Free Agent" mode where my choice will be driven by price, schedule, and product. That makes me less likely to choose DL because DL is often the most expensive for D1 to/from Hawaii from my preferred airports (DAY/CVG/CMH). UA First on a more comfortable Polaris-equipped aircraft can often be found for the same price as or cheaper than what DL is charging for routings via SEA or LAX on aircraft equipped with standard domestic F seats and way less than what DL wants for D1 via ATL/MSP/DTW/JFK/SLC. AA's Flagship Business via DFW on a 777 or 787 is a nice ride. At some point I also plan to position up to BOS and take BOS-HNL to Hawaii, simply so I can take the longest domestic nonstop in the US and after this year, I won't be thinking in terms of "opportunity costs" of doing that on HA versus flying DL to Hawaii.
msp3, JBJ2435 and SUPERTRAVEL like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.