Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding fare classes on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National Exec. Elite
Understanding fare classes on Delta

I've spent some time on various sources of fare class information, but what puzzles me, is that that some of the fare classes in use seem to be redundant.

For example on an up coming trip a I have "I" on ATL-SCL, and "C" on the return of SCL-ATL. It looks like the MQM earnings is the same, and I can't find any other differences.

What are the differences? Where can that information be found? And if there are no differences, why does Delta use redundant fare classes?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Not an expert by any means, but I think it's generally used for "fare buckets" in which each might have 9 tickets available at certain prices. A flight could have J9, I9, C9, Z9 and once all Z fares are sold (at the same price) they sell the next fare at a higher price. That's why C and I tickets have same earnings but their difference would be price - based on the other being sold out.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Fishwiz
I've spent some time on various sources of fare class information, but what puzzles me, is that that some of the fare classes in use seem to be redundant.

For example on an up coming trip a I have "I" on ATL-SCL, and "C" on the return of SCL-ATL. It looks like the MQM earnings is the same, and I can't find any other differences.

What are the differences? Where can that information be found? And if there are no differences, why does Delta use redundant fare classes?
As a flyer, there is no functional difference in I and C classes. On the flipside, from the airline/industry/GDS perspective, each fare bucket for each flight and each route contains a multitude of published fares, which have different rules, prices, surcharges, validities, etc. Having the many, many fares that are published for each possible flight/route stratified into buckets (i.e., classes) makes identifying fares according to the hierarchies of price and restrictions slightly easier. Classes are also relevant to flyers in certain circumstances, such as SDC on a domestic coach ticket.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are asking what various fares earn, the table for Delta flights can be found here -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...arn-with-delta

There are five fare classes for business/first flights J, C, D, I, and Z which is generally the order from most costly to cheapest (although there can be overlap). Only J class is considered full fare and earns 200% MQM's. The others earn 150% MQM. There's no class of service bonus for mileage earn. There are typically multiple fare filings for each fare class (although the higher fare classes are the least restrictive and may only have 1 or 2). The lower ones tend to have different restrictions such as advance purchase requirements (cheaper fares generally require they be purchased further in advance) or a roundtrip booking requirement with a Saturday night stay (this is typical of the cheaper Z fares) . The specific fares you purchased are identified by an 8-character fare basis code which can found in the Fare Details: line in the email receipts. You can see all the fares filed on a route with an account on expertflyer.com.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 27, 2020 at 7:43 am
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ekozie
As a flyer, there is no functional difference in I and C classes. On the flipside, from the airline/industry/GDS perspective, each fare bucket for each flight and each route contains a multitude of published fares, which have different rules, prices, surcharges, validities, etc. Having the many, many fares that are published for each possible flight/route stratified into buckets (i.e., classes) makes identifying fares according to the hierarchies of price and restrictions slightly easier. Classes are also relevant to flyers in certain circumstances, such as SDC on a domestic coach ticket.
I would disagree with this example. While C isn't unrestricted last seat availability, it's generally in most markets a fully flexible and fully refundable without penalty business class fare, unlike the D I Z fares that generally have change fees (typically ranging up to about $500 for TATL/TPAC RTs exUSA, but this depends on the market) and generally aren't refundable (as a credit to the original means of payment).

Moreover, some I fares have advanced purchase and minimum stay requirements while C fares generally do not.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National Exec. Elite
This makes sense... Thanks all
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Here is a link to all of DL's fare classes. Pretty good explanation on them.

https://cwsi.net/delta.htm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
Here is a link to all of DL's fare classes. Pretty good explanation on them.

https://cwsi.net/delta.htm
This is way out of date. DL hasn't offered Business Elite in a very long time.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I am not sure it's so out of date...they may have just not changed the name to D1 yet. It has the Premium Select fare code(s) in there.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
I am not sure it's so out of date...they may have just not changed the name to D1 yet. It has the Premium Select fare code(s) in there.
It is rather out of date. S is now a Comfort+ fare (along with W). Delta no longer users P/A/G for first class since they switched to business class fare codes (J/C/D/I/Z) for all domestic first products. P/A/G are now exclusively aligned to Premium Economy fares.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would disagree with this example. While C isn't unrestricted last seat availability, it's generally in most markets a fully flexible and fully refundable without penalty business class fare, unlike the D I Z fares that generally have change fees (typically ranging up to about $500 for TATL/TPAC RTs exUSA, but this depends on the market) and generally aren't refundable (as a credit to the original means of payment).

Moreover, some I fares have advanced purchase and minimum stay requirements while C fares generally do not.
Well I would be cautious about any generalization regarding what rules might typically apply to a specific booking code. For example, I see two "I" fares on JFK-LHR for travel 1-Mar-20 through 7-Mar 20, and both are fully refundable. I see at least one C fare for travel in June that has a change/cancel fee of $450/500. And I even see a J fare with the same penalties. It's really the specific fare rules that determine the restriction, there's nothing inherent in the booking code/fare class, and things can change all the time. Bottom line, the only reason a flyer really cares about the booking code is for mileage earnings, and as mentioned, for DL-marketed business class it's all the same except J earns 2x MQMs. For partners there could be more nuances & differentiation for MQMs and MQDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.