Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta "Express Cabin Service" - Great Concept, Horrible Execution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta "Express Cabin Service" - Great Concept, Horrible Execution

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:12 pm

I was on BOS-JFK a few months ago, F was half full, Y was about 10 people and i was the only person in C+. Everyone in F was served something, crew turned around and disappeared for the rest of the flight. I wasn't even sure whether that was normal.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Pro tip: For CRJ-200 flights or flights with no service, order a couple of cocktails in the Sky Club and pour them into one of the to-go coffee cups with a lid to accompany you on the flight.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Back in the mid-late 90s, when economy class in-flight meals were more common, flights whose length was ~500 miles, give or take, sometimes featured a "snack bag" . . . a paper sack that would contain a sandwich, a bag of chips or a plastic-wrapped cookie, and maybe an apple or banana. You'd pick it up while boarding, from a refrigerated case in the jetway. I lived in Cincinnati at the time, back when CVG was a big deal hub, and I experienced this many times on flights from the east coast to CVG.

Point is, couldn't they have this kind of concept for these "up and down" flights . . . grab a beverage and a bag of chips while boarding? Beverage choice would be either a small bottled water, or one of those "mini-cans" of Coke. I suppose maybe handing out canned beverages would violate some sort of FAA rule as they could become a "projectile" in the event of a mishap during taxi or takeoff, but no more so than a book or any number of other random objects. You could even instruct passengers not to open the can of Coke until after the plane leaves the ground.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Pro tip: For CRJ-200 flights or flights with no service, order a couple of cocktails in the Sky Club and pour them into one of the to-go coffee cups with a lid to accompany you on the flight.
Disagree with this being a pro-tip.

PSA: do this at your own risk. Some airports have arrested folks who have violated open liquor laws this way - including folks who had taken the alcohol out of a SkyClub in a coffee cup.

I sometimes walk out of the SkyClub with a Diet Coke in a Starbucks cup, sure; but I’d rather not risk taking alcohol out (SkyClub rules aside), even with a probably less than 1% chance of getting caught, only because airports have such a relatively high law enforcement presence.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by andrewk829
Back in the mid-late 90s, when economy class in-flight meals were more common, flights whose length was ~500 miles, give or take, sometimes featured a "snack bag" . . . a paper sack that would contain a sandwich, a bag of chips or a plastic-wrapped cookie, and maybe an apple or banana. You'd pick it up while boarding, from a refrigerated case in the jetway. I lived in Cincinnati at the time, back when CVG was a big deal hub, and I experienced this many times on flights from the east coast to CVG.

Point is, couldn't they have this kind of concept for these "up and down" flights . . . grab a beverage and a bag of chips while boarding? Beverage choice would be either a small bottled water, or one of those "mini-cans" of Coke. I suppose maybe handing out canned beverages would violate some sort of FAA rule as they could become a "projectile" in the event of a mishap during taxi or takeoff, but no more so than a book or any number of other random objects. You could even instruct passengers not to open the can of Coke until after the plane leaves the ground.
Sure, they could. Feasibility is probably not an issue. The issue is ultimately would such an action drive and deliver more revenue than it cost to implement or give the airline a competitive edge in the marketplace? The answer to that question. is probably “no”. The reality is most people are choosing their flights based on price or schedule and the number of people who actually choose a flight, particularly a short hop, based on getting a can of pop or not, is probably pretty close to nil. Not saying you have to like it but that’s the reality in an industry with low margins in which many customers choose mainly on price.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
It goes without saying no one goes to a sit down restaurant and expects their food to fly out the kitchen 2 minutes later. However on airlines serving the same canned beverages and packaged snacks in coach, it's a mystery why one can get it done and the other despite being a more premium airline can't. Your analogy doesn't really hold up there.

I have yet to see WN throw a snack/drink or anything at anyone; granted my anecdotes are small considering i only fly them at best 2-3 times a year. Holding a snack in your hand from the basket and offering it is not throwing. The point still remains however WN can serve a full plane drinks (including alcoholic) on short flights. Perhaps if DL FA's don't need to waste 10-15 mins setting up a cart, they would be able to as well.
Yeah my (this is the internet) hyperbole aside, as an analogy it holds up just fine. McDonald's and Applebees are essentially prepared foods reheated or have a final cook done at the restaurant. However the distinction is in the service, DL takes the time to push a cart, hand snacks and poured (to order) drinks one at a time. As Applebees sits you down takes your order, et cetera. Essentially the same mass produced food with a different service level. Just like the same can of coke, with a different level of service. You could argue perhaps Applebees has better food, but I counter with but those Biscoff though....

Point is yes, other premium airlines (examples in Europe apparently) can provide better service in same or less time. That is a valid argument. But the fact that WN can do it.... sure ok... and my thoughts are if DL has to stoop to WN service levels (no carts, throwing cookies ballpark style) to do it, I would rather go without the beverage service.

Sounds like you fly WN roughly the same as I do, so I concede that my comment about throwing the snacks is probably hyperbole. It just feels that way. I will add some people like having food items thrown at them (Lambert's home of the throwed roll) and those people probably love WN. Let them have it.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott, Hilton, Hertz
Talked with DL Customer Service about "Express Service" and this service level is provided on flights less than 350 miles and no exceptions for C+ are expected by Delta.
As for self service, you could just get a coffee cup with lid full of ice from the Sky Club and carry a couple of tenths of your favorite beverage in your carry on for use after you have been served your water. This liquid size meets TSA requirements and has been passing through security for over a year now. I realize self service is frowned upon by Delta but then their frown is offset by our frown of 'express service' so it is a wash.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
Yeah my (this is the internet) hyperbole aside, as an analogy it holds up just fine. McDonald's and Applebees are essentially prepared foods reheated or have a final cook done at the restaurant. However the distinction is in the service, DL takes the time to push a cart, hand snacks and poured (to order) drinks one at a time. As Applebees sits you down takes your order, et cetera. Essentially the same mass produced food with a different service level. Just like the same can of coke, with a different level of service. You could argue perhaps Applebees has better food, but I counter with but those Biscoff though....

Point is yes, other premium airlines (examples in Europe apparently) can provide better service in same or less time. That is a valid argument. But the fact that WN can do it.... sure ok... and my thoughts are if DL has to stoop to WN service levels (no carts, throwing cookies ballpark style) to do it, I would rather go without the beverage service.

Sounds like you fly WN roughly the same as I do, so I concede that my comment about throwing the snacks is probably hyperbole. It just feels that way. I will add some people like having food items thrown at them (Lambert's home of the throwed roll) and those people probably love WN. Let them have it.
How is having some clunky, beat-up beverage cart a nicer experience than having your drink order taken and hand delivered?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:29 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium

Maybe I just like WN as I fly frequently with them too, but I guess I just don't see a cart as necessarily an indicator of good service. Plus I've never had a WN FA with a tray ram into my knee or shoulder when I'm sitting in the aisle, unlike the carts... I actually like the WN tray service a lot, and on ~50 minute flights, there's even often enough time for them to come through and ask folks if they want anything else (though most people decline a second beverage). Plus you can actually get up and use the lav if needed, since there's no cart blocking the way.

I'll concede that WN misses out on the Biscoffs though!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
How is having some clunky, beat-up beverage cart a nicer experience than having your drink order taken and hand delivered?
Was wondering the same thing. And I remember people complaining on FT when Delta started using the carts in J on international trips for the service.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I was thinking this, well and that WN essentially (sometimes literally) throws the snacks at you from their tray like at the ballpark. In all honesty I would rather no drink/snack service than WN style service. Not justifying DL not providing service when they probably could. I just think the comparison of DL to WN is like saying well McDonald's can serve me food in 2 minutes surely Applebees can get my food to me that quick too. Like comparing oranges and apples.

Again, I pick DL with no service over WN with service on a short flight any day. But that's just me.
I’ve been on plenty of WN flights (it’s my go to after DL) and never had a snack thrown at me.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Both WN and Delta carry the same number of flight attendants. 4 flight attendants can knock out a one class service much faster than breaking one or two off to cater to first class. WN also has their aircraft set up for one type of service. Delta flights have a much more complicated galley setup that requires additional time verses always having the exact same setup.
It’s a drink. Not that hard.
jamesteroh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.