Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 355F1
Nobody on my flight was wearing a mask.

Flying home tomorrow.
I can’t believe that people actually think the mask will prevent people from getting the virus. The CDC says only to wear mask when you are personally sick to prevent you from coughing/sneezing the germs onto anyone else.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kyushuman
My partner is in BOM now. Had a seat on the "last" flight from BOM-JFK (see above: "Delta will also temporarily suspend service between New York-JFK and Mumbai starting Tuesday, March 17. The last flight from New York-JFK to Mumbai will operate Saturday, March 14. The last flight from Mumbai to New York-JFK will operate Monday, March 16.")
However, DL has cancelled tonights JFK-BOM flight, even though the above announcement said tonight would be the last flight. Which means that there will be no plane for my partner's 12:05am flight Monday morning. Now he's been rescheduled onto DL 9930, For Tuesday 3/17 at the same time. The normal DL flight has already been cancelled.

He can't connect anywhere in Europe, due to his Indian Visa.
I wonder if he can get through to DL to switch to a Middle Eastern airline, or Singapore Air, etc?
How is Delta reaccommodating people? Will they put a pax onto a non-partner airline?
Finally, Partner is Platinum if that helps......
Thoughts?
Thanks
Can he connect in LHR (I know you excluded Europe but unclear if you are including UK in that). If LHR is an option, VS looks like they are operating LHR - BOM and BOM - LHR, could try and get on the VS flights before the UK ban takes hold.

Honestly though, if he can afford it, the walk up fare for BOM - JFK on EK for Sunday looks like it's ~$675, I would grab that and just take a refund from DL on the return flight to get back to the States
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I can’t believe that people actually think the mask will prevent people from getting the virus. The CDC says only to wear mask when you are personally sick to prevent you from coughing/sneezing the germs onto anyone else.
LoL....just reporting the facts.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Duke787
Can he connect in LHR (I know you excluded Europe but unclear if you are including UK in that). If LHR is an option, VS looks like they are operating LHR - BOM and BOM - LHR, could try and get on the VS flights before the UK ban takes hold.

Honestly though, if he can afford it, the walk up fare for BOM - JFK on EK for Sunday looks like it's ~$675, I would grab that and just take a refund from DL on the return flight to get back to the States
Starting Monday, UK and Ireland have been added to the no fly list, only US citizens allowed. He's got an Indian passport but lives in the US, on a work visa, so doesn't want to even try to deal with that.
So, he's hoping for a nonstop on UA or AI, or on MEA (Etihad, Emirates, Qatar). Work is paying, so something will get figured out-- but does anyone have data on how DL is accommodating?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Starting Monday, UK and Ireland have been added to the no fly list, only US citizens allowed. He's got an Indian passport but lives in the US, on a work visa, so doesn't want to even try to deal with that.
So, he's hoping for a nonstop on UA or AI, or on MEA (Etihad, Emirates, Qatar). Work is paying, so something will get figured out-- but does anyone have data on how DL is accommodating?
I don't have any information on how Delta has accommodated the BOM flight changes, but what are you looking for? Do they want to fly out before Tuesday?

If the reason you haven't called yet is wait times, try calling the Singapore reservations number and explain your situation and ask for what you want (with a couple backups) and see what they can do.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I don't have any information on how Delta has accommodated the BOM flight changes, but what are you looking for? Do they want to fly out before Tuesday?

If the reason you haven't called yet is wait times, try calling the Singapore reservations number and explain your situation and ask for what you want (with a couple backups) and see what they can do.
Wanted to know before calling what other people are being offered in terms of alternate choices (for any of these cancelled flights).
The wait time was only 30 min for Platinum at 11pm CST, not bad.
He is going to try via his corporate travel agency, since the first agent at DL didn't see "anything else" available... but for me, I'm wondering if he feeds the agent UA/AI/SQ flight numbers maybe the agent can book something, if the corporate agent can't do anything.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What do you want DL “to-do”??? If he’s traveling for work, get his corporate travel agent to book something else and just cancel/refund his DL ticket.

I doubt DL is going to endorse him over to someone else if they are still operating the flight on Tuesday.

His best bet is to take the VS flight and connect on from London. The latest guidance says that should work if he takes the VS flight leaving BOM today (Sunday) and connects immediately to the US.

Also as noted in my OP the walk up fare for the EK flight tonight (Sunday) in Y is $650. Book that and deal with the cancel / refund from DL down the line. This isn’t a normal situation, take what gets him home and deal with the ramifications later, especially if traveling for business and expensing out. Who cares if it’s Y or not the ideal option, take what gets him confirmed back here and deal with the rest later.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
What do you want DL “to-do”??? If he’s traveling for work, get his corporate travel agent to book something else and just cancel/refund his DL ticket.

I doubt DL is going to endorse him over to someone else if they are still operating the flight on Tuesday.

His best bet is to take the VS flight and connect on from London. The latest guidance says that should work if he takes the VS flight leaving BOM today (Sunday) and connects immediately to the US.

Also as noted in my OP the walk up fare for the EK flight tonight (Sunday) in Y is $650. Book that and deal with the cancel / refund from DL down the line. This isn’t a normal situation, take what gets him home and deal with the ramifications later, especially if traveling for business and expensing out. Who cares if it’s Y or not the ideal option, take what gets him confirmed back here and deal with the rest later.
Uhhh "to do" would be yes to endorse over to another carrier, since his original flight's been cancelled, and the reacommodation flight is 24+ hours later.
He had been on hold with his travel agent, who was able to get him onto the UA nonstop. When I posted the above, the UA nonstop had no seats for sale, but "luckily" (?) there are lots of cancellations so he'll get a seat.
Any recommendations going via Europe that you offered-- I'd already said upthread that there are other immigration issues (not related to Coronavirus) that often require Indian nationals with valid US work visas to get a European transit visa even just for intl-to-intl within Europe. Doing this last minute makes that a challenge.
So, he was looking for a non- KL/AF/VS option. Since DL has no Middle East partners and their Asian partners are nearly all in countries with Coronavirus issues (China/Korea), there really aren't other options.
He should be able to get a refund for his DL ticket. I am thinking he might be able to get ORC too, since his original flight was cancelled. We'll see about that.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Uhhh "to do" would be yes to endorse over to another carrier, since his original flight's been cancelled, and the reacommodation flight is 24+ hours later.
He had been on hold with his travel agent, who was able to get him onto the UA nonstop. When I posted the above, the UA nonstop had no seats for sale, but "luckily" (?) there are lots of cancellations so he'll get a seat.
Any recommendations going via Europe that you offered-- I'd already said upthread that there are other immigration issues (not related to Coronavirus) that often require Indian nationals with valid US work visas to get a European transit visa even just for intl-to-intl within Europe. Doing this last minute makes that a challenge.
So, he was looking for a non- KL/AF/VS option. Since DL has no Middle East partners and their Asian partners are nearly all in countries with Coronavirus issues (China/Korea), there really aren't other options.
He should be able to get a refund for his DL ticket. I am thinking he might be able to get ORC too, since his original flight was cancelled. We'll see about that.
EK doesn’t go via Europe...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The CDC isn't God. I personally wouldn't listen to anything they or the WHO say, since they've both been a complete failure There are studies to suggest otherwise, and all masks aren't equal. Not here to debate, because if people don't want to wear a mask or people do who cares. Really, who cares? I'm for certain I don't.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The CDC isn't God. I personally wouldn't listen to anything they or the WHO say, since they've both been a complete failure .....
OK when will the madness end? So who should we listen to.... random things people link to on the internet?

LOL

So I am a Nigerian prince.... if you send me $5,000 I will share my inheritance with you. Also I have this bridge for sale I think you will be interested in.

You know enough to know that is BS but we believe all the other things we find on the internet? But we won't believe the CDC or WHO?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
OK when will the madness end? So who should we listen to.... random things people link to on the internet?

LOL

So I am a Nigerian prince.... if you send me $5,000 I will share my inheritance with you. Also I have this bridge for sale I think you will be interested in.

You know enough to know that is BS but we believe all the other things we find on the internet? But we won't believe the CDC or WHO?
Your dearly beloved CDC recommends masks for coronavirus'

I have a box full of these and gas filters for my P100. These do work. But those dollar store ones don't.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi.../respsars.html
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Your dearly beloved CDC recommends masks for coronavirus'

I have a box full of these and gas filters for my P100. These do work. But those dollar store ones don't.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi.../respsars.html
I am confused as to your point we should listen to the CDC or not?

I was not arguing about effectiveness of weaning a mask or which mask. I am challenging the comment you made about disregarding CDC recommendations.

Perhaps you should donate the effective masks you have to local health care workers who actually need them. Unless of course you are a health care worker, which I doubt due to you blowing off CDC recommendations.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond National EE
Had to call for two trips out of 4 booked. Return call on Diamond Line promised in 36 minutes, received in 26 minutes:

1. Canceling DEN-LAX on 3/17 was simple, though I had to acknowledge that it was due to COVID-19. Received credit, which is no issue considering my anticipated nearly weekly travel.
2. With schedule upload, my return flight (STL-DEN) on 4/11 has 'disappeared.' The agent said it was still operating, but blacked out from future bookings. She dug deeper and saw plenty of seats (shocker). At what point, will DL concede that the route has been suspended so that I can amend the entire booking? I'll have to change outbound based on uploaded schedule to make this trip work. Obviously, not urgent, but it crosses Easter weekend, so I'd rather be (more) proactive than usual with that trip.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:22 am

DL is not allowing people who booked through a travel agent to make changes or ask for refunds unless they go through the TA. This is standard practice for all airlines, but is DL prohibited from allowing customers to make changes due to some legal or contractual restriction that means only a TA can deal with a TA booked ticket, at least until it goes to airport control?

Last edited by richarddd; Mar 15, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.