Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 1, 20, 1:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ryandc99
Wiki Link
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 15, 20, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, WN A-List, Hilto Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
https://us.ceair.com/newCMS/us/en/co...206_13972.html

I am on a J class China Eastern flight from JFK-PVG heading to TPE on April 22nd.

Turns out MU 298 & 297 (JFK-PVG routes) were canceled for April 22nd, but other MU flights (MU 587/8) were not. The latter flights depart JFK in the evening; the former very early morning around 1:30am.

Any reason why MU would cancel some flights in this route, and not others?
probably because they dont expect enough demand to fill all the flights.
Old Feb 15, 20, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by OroroT View Post
Yes I have spoken with DL. They have cancelled my flight and moved my credit to my Delta wallet, so far without penalty. They added notes to the case and suggest I wait until this plays out until using the credit. With the Covid-19 situation worsening each day in Singapore (8 new cases today) they may be more flexible. A professor at the university (NUS) where our conference was to take place has been diagnosed positive.
They cancelled the flight. Have they not given you the option for a full refund? Why should you not be seeking a refund? You are in a you-use-or-you-lose situation, with a 12-month deadline.
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 16, 20, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
They cancelled the flight. Have they not given you the option for a full refund? Why should you not be seeking a refund? You are in a you-use-or-you-lose situation, with a 12-month deadline.
So far they have not given me a clear-cut option for a full refund. Airlines have not been adding Singapore to their flexible refund policy as of yet, unless the flight contained a China stopover.
Old Feb 16, 20, 6:38 pm

Confirmed coronavirus patient traveled on DL 611 HNL-NGO 2/6/20

FYI - Confirmed coronavirus patient traveled on DL 611 HNL-NGO 2/6/20.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus-2/...rlines-flight/
Old Feb 16, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Did these people also visit the HNL Delta lounge before their flight? I was in that lounge on Feb 8, which is either 1 or 2 days later - do journalists not double check these different dates?

One note about the lounge - many people tried to get in and failed during our stay. So people may not have "visited" the lounge, but might have touched everything at the entry point before being turned away. Not many used the giant tub of Purell at the desk.
Old Feb 16, 20, 7:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Two slightly better articles:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/u...pgtype=Article
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/u...ronavirus.html
Old Feb 17, 20, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
As expected...it was 50/50 likely for the last few days (as long as it's been on the news) that these two infected people flew back on either DL or HA to NGO, just the return flight was not disclosed until tonight. So it is DL then, finally the return flight info was released (the last few days only the OGG-HNL flight info was released and only the Oahu but not the Maui hotel).

That begs the question that's been on my mind for a while, given that Japan is on the verge of a covid-2019 epidemic (most cases outside of China, increasing amounts of community spread without links to China - as this is a prime example of), what are the measures that DL has been taking for its, now frankly rather risky, flights to Japan? Is it doing the basics, that practically all other airlines are doing, such as thoroughly deep clean disinfecting aircraft after each flight to/from Japan, quarantining its FAs that are on Japan flights and not having them fly on non-Japan flights, having FAs mandatory wear a facemask, and minimizing items aboard plane that multiple pax touch? That is what any/every prudent airline is doing. What about DL?
Old Feb 17, 20, 1:27 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, BAEC Bronze
Why do you think Japan is particularly at risk? From what I read, the vast majority of the cases and nearly all the human-to-human transmissions are from the Diamond Princess. While Id rather not be on that ship right now, it doesnt change the risk calculus for the rest of Japan.
moondog and CarmenOM like this.

Last edited by realityking; Feb 17, 20 at 2:19 am
Old Feb 17, 20, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by realityking View Post
Why do you think Japan is particularly at risk? From what I read, the vast majority of the cases and nearly all the human-to-human transmissions are from the Diamond Princess. While Id rather not be on that ship right, it doesnt change the risk calculus for the rest of Japan.
Exactly. It's something like 356 of 434. Which puts Japan third, after Singapore.
Old Feb 17, 20, 1:49 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by realityking View Post
Why do you think Japan is particularly at risk? From what I read, the vast majority of the cases and nearly all the human-to-human transmissions are from the Diamond Princess. While I‘d rather not be on that ship right, it doesn‘t change the risk calculus for the rest of Japan.
More cases of community transmission, like this one, the doctors and patients at the Wakayama hospital, etc. Government asking people to work from home. Many companies changing to staggered hours or entirely work from home. For all this time largely unrestricted travel from China to Japan. Government asking people to avoid train/public transit peak hour travel and any unnecessary gatherings. And so on... just the facts, underscored by the Japan govt saying it’s a new and dangerous phase now. Basically, just heeding public health officials advice and being mindful of the facts.
Old Feb 17, 20, 10:45 am

Some more Delta specific updates here:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...w-coronavirus/

(Though not sure why these posts about DL flights to/from Japan got mixed into the thread about long-ago cancelled China flights.)
Old Feb 17, 20, 10:51 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post

(Though not sure why these posts about DL flights to/from Japan got mixed into the thread about long-ago cancelled China flights.)
We have one thread for coronavirus related items. We do not plan to have multiple threads discussing coronavirus on this DL forum.

Ryandc99 Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
We have one thread for coronavirus related items. We do not plan to have multiple threads discussing coronavirus on this DL forum.

Ryandc99 Moderator Delta Air Lines

Maybe a slight thread title change would be helpful?
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
safe to go to Mumbai this week?

Scheduled to fly out to get miles this week - would anyone suggest against going due to corona virus? Got a steal of a deal - $795 r/t and then $200 each way to upgrade to P.S. - only there for three days.
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:56 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There was a similiar discussion about travel to India in the coronavirus thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...l#post32058829
Post 274 and on.

Here is a local English language news source that might help as well: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...g/74166812.cms

Search this Thread