Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by AntonS
So SEA had a couple of 767s and 339s sitting for a couple days now. Why 339s are not used for SEA - AMS/CDG instead of 330s?

​​​​

What are people doing about Taiwan travel? Delta just says China (and China of course says Taiwan is part of China... and Taiwan is really playing up its independence right now).

I’m on PDX-NRT-TPE mid Feb.
It appears it is the least affected of all Asian countries. I’m fine with going, but, fiancé is out. She’s just not having it.

I assume I’ll go solo, I think the whole thing is rather overblown and it doesn’t bother me personally.
That said, no Fiancé makes the trip a lot less fun. The DL waive appears to cover mainland China only.

Anyone in the same boat?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I agree with you, but THIS flight from MU are what ? 2%, 3%, ... of the previous "capacity" (even less).
I will not be surprise when factory and business "restart" in China. the capacity requirement to go up to 15% to 20% in one week.
It is why I will not be surprise to see Delta to restart one flight each week from some hub.
I'm not an expert on MU's schedules but I thought they had a total of 3 daily frequencies on 77Ws between PVG and JFK/LAX. This alone is around 8% of the total pre virus US-China market. In addition to MU, I imagine CA will also restart its more important flights before AA, DL, and UA. I'm not as optimistic about CZ because PKX hasn't gained traction yet (i.e. they haven't even launched a US flight), CAN isn't especially useful, and WUH needs no comment. HU will probably sit on the sidelines for a while as well because most of its US flights are fringe routes.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 5, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
I am looking forward for the great partner J fares to pop up. I'd do MRs right now even
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not an expert on MU's schedules but I thought they had a total of 3 daily frequencies on 77Ws between PVG and JFK/LAX. This alone is around 8% of the total pre virus US-China market. In addition to MU, I imagine CA will also restart its more important flights before AA, DL, and UA. I'm not as optimistic about CZ because PKX hasn't gained traction yet (i.e. they haven't even launched a US flight yet), CAN isn't especially useful, and WUH needs no comment). HU will probably sit on the sidelines for a while as well because most of its US flights are fringe routes.
I have difficulty to believe US airline will leave all flights between US and China in the "hand" of Chinese airlines (even this airline is a partner).
If ONE airline restart flying to China, all other airlines will follow, even it is not at 100% capacity (like before the virus begin), but flights will restart from main hub.

Because the strong action of Chinese authority, I believe the # of case will continue to increase for 7 to 10 days and begin to stabilize and go down after.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:53 am

I have difficulty to believe US airline will leave all flights between US and China in the "hand" of Chinese airlines (even this airline is a partner).
If ONE airline restart flying to China, all other airlines will follow, even it is not at 100% capacity (like before the virus begin), but flights will restart from main hub.

Because the strong action of Chinese authority, I believe the # of case will continue to increase for 7 to 10 days and begin to stabilize and go down after.
I'll just compare MU to DL as an example, but the same logic applies to all comparisons between Chinese and US airlines
1. In order to continue operating its airline business, all MU flights must begin or end in Mainland China, no matter how bad the economic environment is; DL can operate flights that don't touch China, which will surely generate a much better ROI during the medium term
2. MU is under pressure from the Central Government to serve key markets like the US, regardless of whether or not there is a compelling business case for MU

I don't see any signs of stability on the horizon. Maybe things will start to get better in May or June.
wrp96 and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:51 am

I'll just compare MU to DL as an example, but the same logic applies to all comparisons between Chinese and US airlines
1. In order to continue operating its airline business, all MU flights must begin or end in Mainland China, no matter how bad the economic environment is; DL can operate flights that don't touch China, which will surely generate a much better ROI during the medium term
2. MU is under pressure from the Central Government to serve key markets like the US, regardless of whether or not there is a compelling business case for MU

I don't see any signs of stability on the horizon. Maybe things will start to get better in May or June.
I am just back from China/HK.
I base the future "stability" because the Chinese authority have done strong action. Something you must see yourself (you are in China).
I just go to Zunyi (a "small" city of 1 millions). Market are empty (I even feel it is like a zombie movie). Streets are very calm.
All the restriction China have made to his populations will reduce the spreed of the virus much more quickly than other country, something you can not do in Canada/USA/Europe.This is why I believe the situation will be control by China. If not, we must be ready for a major pandemic.
Also Hong Kong is more active, but less than normal.
BenA likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:18 am

I am just back from China/HK.
I base the future "stability" because the Chinese authority have done strong action. Something you must see yourself (you are in China).
I just go to Zunyi (a "small" city of 1 millions). Market are empty (I even feel it is like a zombie movie). Streets are very calm.
All the restriction China have made to his populations will reduce the spreed of the virus much more quickly than other country, something you can not do in Canada/USA/Europe.This is why I believe the situation will be control by China. If not, we must be ready for a major pandemic.
Also Hong Kong is more active, but less than normal.
The part of your comment that I bolded definitely reflects my observations here in Shanghai. It's really annoying for many Chinese people to leave their compounds because each housing unit shares 1 or 2 出入证. For all I know, my compound has the same system, but the guards haven't given me any lectures yet. But, next week, things might be a little more normal.

While some of these containment measures are intense (e.g. now we need to wear masks to enter subway stations), I'm not convinced that they will stop the outbreak. I'm sticking with my May 15 projection for Delta's return, and March 1 for MU, but just JFK and LAX (maybe 5 roundtrips/week each).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:30 pm

The part of your comment that I bolded definitely reflects my observations here in Shanghai. It's really annoying for many Chinese people to leave their compounds because each housing unit shares 1 or 2 出入证. For all I know, my compound has the same system, but the guards haven't given me any lectures yet. But, next week, things might be a little more normal.

While some of these containment measures are intense (e.g. now we need to wear masks to enter subway stations), I'm not convinced that they will stop the outbreak. I'm sticking with my May 15 projection for Delta's return, and March 1 for MU, but just JFK and LAX (maybe 5 roundtrips/week each).
I am not a big fan of the Chinese "system", but I must admit most other country's will not be able to do the same actions with their population.

I have difficulty to believe this (not stop the outbreak) with all the measure they take.

It is normal to see an increase of sick peoples for the next week (to 10 day's), because many generation live together in China. But to "lock" most of the population inside and limit the contact between them will "break" this outbreak.

Anyway we will have soon an answer about this. If the raise continue at the same speed. This pandemic will be a major one in less than a month.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
What are people doing about Taiwan travel? Delta just says China (and China of course says Taiwan is part of China... and Taiwan is really playing up its independence right now).

It appears it is the least affected of all Asian countries. I’m fine with going, but, fiancé is out. She’s just not having it.

I assume I’ll go solo, I think the whole thing is rather overblown and it doesn’t bother me personally.
That said, no Fiancé makes the trip a lot less fun. The DL waive appears to cover mainland China only.

Anyone in the same boat?
I'm headed to TPE in a few weeks and won't change unless there is some spread. Taiwan is well developed and the public health authorities seem to have things under control, as well as any country does right now. The US travel restrictions only apply to PRC not Taiwan so I don't see any waivers extending to TPE unless there is a local outbreak.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX

Anyone in the same boat?
Yes! My family and I are booked for Thailand in July via ICN and my wife said no way in hell. Especially with our small children. So do I go alone or lose the tickets? Alone sounds fun, but for all the wrong reasons
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nwa330
Yes! My family and I are booked for Thailand in July via ICN and my wife said no way in hell. Especially with our small children. So do I go alone or lose the tickets? Alone sounds fun, but for all the wrong reasons

I think it would be reasonable to wait until May or June and see how this develops and make a decision at that time.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:46 pm

If the Coronavirus is not under control in June, I think it will not change anything you go to Thailand or stay where you are, because the virus will be worldwide...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
If the Coronavirus is not under control in June, I think it will not change anything you go to Thailand or stay where you are, because the virus will be worldwide...
But I won’t be stuck in a 747 with 400 people possibly infecting my children.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

And health systems vary radically by country.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:33 pm

Hmmm, I will prefer to be in a 747 for 20h with 400 Adults (and some kids) for one day. Than be in a class with 20-25 kids each day.
Where you think are the "higher" risk...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.