Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Call US immigration before start.

From the information I have receive, ALL no US citizen who have travel to China will not have access to US territory.
I wonder what the trickle down effects on the economy will be. Should be interesting especially in an election year.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

From the information I have receive, ALL no US citizen who have travel to China will not have access to US territory.
That is wrong. Immediate family of US citizens and permanent residents (e.g. spouse, children) are not restricted from entering, neither are permanent residents, and a whole plethora of other exceptions. That's been widely circulated in news.

Though the OP really may want to reroute and avoid the China connections, esp. given the fact that it's 50/50 chance that any flights from China to US will be still operating then. OP may want to change connection to TPE, ICN, NRT, HND, KIX, NGO or elsewhere (lots of options, even PR via MNL and HNL for example, to get to US from Vietnam). Perhaps LCCs like AirAsia X that fly to US tickets are not as high priced now as the network carriers are by now (worth checking).
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by whooperatw
With the suspension of all China flights, this would represent a number of planes suddenly with nothing to do. Will they be redeployed to TATL routes to allow for perhaps an accelerated refit of some of the 763/764 fleet, or be used as spares for ongoing TPAC operations?
Briefly skimmed the 14 pages of this thread so apologize if this has already been covered. What is Delta and all other airlines doing with the aircraft that aren't flying China routes? Are they being deployed elsewhere or being grounded? My personal interest is if there will be more near-term Delta domestic (US) widebody opportunities. Perhaps the Coronavirus will alleviate the 737Max grounding (non-Delta) impact.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I don't see why. If partners are flying, and they're willing to risk the possibility of quarantine, what's the problem?

It just seems insensitive to me. There are people in this thread who are worried about themselves and loved ones being stranded, and the poster was asking about great deals related to this emergency.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is wrong. Immediate family of US citizens and permanent residents (e.g. spouse, children) are not restricted from entering, neither are permanent residents, and a whole plethora of other exceptions. That's been widely circulated in news..
Check this...
"Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar declared a public health emergency Friday. He said foreign citizens who have traveled anywhere in China within the past 14 days would be denied U.S. entry, while Americans who visited Hubei province would be quarantined for up to two weeks."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-rep...es-11580467046

This is WHY I suggest he call the US immigration (To have the exact detail about IS situation), this is better than take information's from any news site (or discussion forum).
You know, some news say Trump is a genius and other he is a criminal...

Last edited by FBplatinum; Feb 1, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330
I wonder what the trickle down effects on the economy will be. Should be interesting especially in an election year.
It will have some effect to US and world economy... But I think the first impacted economy will be China.
Thinks if some factory or area stay close for months ...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:28 pm

Check this...
"Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar declared a public health emergency Friday. He said foreign citizens who have traveled anywhere in China within the past 14 days would be denied U.S. entry, while Americans who visited Hubei province would be quarantined for up to two weeks."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-rep...es-11580467046

This is WHY I suggest he call the US immigration (To have the exact detail about IS situation), this is better than take information's from any news site (or discussion forum).
You know, some news say Trump is a genius and other he is a criminal...
Or use this: https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
It will have some effect to US and world economy... But I think the first impacted economy will be China.
Thinks if some factory or area stay close for months ...
If this continues for long (and God forbid gets even worse), will be wide spread shortages of many things, from iPhones and fiber optic cables (a lot made in Wuhan specifically of the latter) to drugs (supposedly 80% of active ingredients in all drugs are made in China), worldwide. So yes, biggest impact will be China, but everyone will hurt, no doubt about it, and life will be less convenient in more ways than one no matter where you happen to live.

I wonder will the Tokyo Olympics be cancelled this year. Too early to tell. But, that is a real possibility if this continues to escalate (and peaks in May or thereabouts, as some models predict). For sure if it does happen, it'll be a much reduced affair with less participants than originally planned.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by RealHJ

I wonder will the Tokyo Olympics be cancelled this year. Too early to tell. But, that is a real possibility if this continues to escalate (and peaks in May or thereabouts, as some models predict). For sure if it does happen, it'll be a much reduced affair with less participants than originally planned.
I hope not, I have a family trip to Thailand this summer on dl/ke. My wife is already talking about canceling it.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: FlyerTalk Forums

Just in. Vietnamese government barred all flights from/to China including Mainland, HK, Macao and Taiwan.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by QueToi101
Just in. Vietnamese government barred all flights from/to China including Mainland, HK, Macao and Taiwan.
good, these sorts of bans should limit spread and prevent this from becoming a full blown pandemic. Thanks for updating re: Vietnam so folks don’t go searching for flights via there
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Friendly moderator reminder! This thread is for discussing the coronavirus waiver and impact to delta operations. There is much value in community and communication on this timely topic.

Please keep posts on topic, otherwise posts will be deleted without warning.

Ryandc99 Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:46 pm

If the Delta (and other major Skyteam members) flight cancellation to China stay long, did Delta will have some flexibility with is FF members who have status because most of their flight is to China ?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If the Delta (and other major Skyteam members) flight cancellation to China stay long, did Delta will have some flexibility with is FF members who have status because most of their flight is to China ?
A) I think this is probably the least of DL's worries right now.

B) Reclaim Your Status program.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:07 pm

Aircraft from China routes

Will Delta redeploy equipment from suspended China routes, especially new 339s and 350s on other routes or keep them parked?

Looks like it would make sense to replace less efficient aircraft with new planes if.they are not used elsewhere, especially if suspension is going to last several months. For example SEA-PVG frees up 2 x A339s. They can be used to replace both daily SEA-AMS and SEA-CDG. Are 330 and 339 pilots inter-changable?

Another question is how Delta is going to bring back some aircraft currently stuck in China. For example both N840MH and N839MH are stuck in Guangzhou for over a week after flying SEA-NRT-CAN. Not sure what was the purpose of these flights, if they were rescue flights should not they get back? The crew probably returned to US already. Maybe they are positioned to resume service from China when virus is over or for future potential rescue flights?

I

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.