Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Hide Wikipost
Old May 10, 20, 11:46 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ryandc99
Wiki Link
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

Old Yesterday, 9:27 am

Programs: DL GM, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
It looks like LAN-DTW lives on for now then. Glad to hear that. FNT-DTW I could see eliminating, but LAN-DTW seemed a bit silly to eliminate from a distance/accessibility to air travel standpoint.
DL hasn't flown FNT-DTW in years. I'm sure they did it to cut off the bargain hunters who lived in the northern suburbs of Detroit.
Old Yesterday, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
This looks like the same routing they are taking with their current all-cargo flights to/from PVG. My guess is to allow for a crew change in ICN so as to get around any China layover issues for foreigners (the crew in this case).
Is it filed correctly!? Seems like an odd schedule for DL

DL284

5:00 AM depart PVG
7:30 AM arrive ICN
9:00 AM depart ICN
8:35 AM arrive DTW

DL285

9:30 PM depart DTW
12:40 AM arrive ICN
2:10 AM depart ICN
2:55 AM arrive PVG

DL286

8:00 AM depart PVG
10:30 AM arrive ICN
12:00 PM depart ICN
6:00 AM arrive SEA

DL287

11:30 PM depart SEA
2:30 AM arrive ICN
4:00 AM depart ICN
4:45 AM arrive PVG

Weirdly enough, they aren't selling seats on the 11:30 PM SEA-ICN leg or the 9:30 PM DTW-ICN leg.

And SEA-ICN-PVG is on the A350?

Side note: It looks like they loaded the July domestic schedule over the weekend. Seems like a pretty good increase over the June schedule (example: SEA-BOS resumes at about 5x weekly). 14 day advance purchase one-way fares also look capped at $249 in Y and $299 in J/F, so we'll probably continue to see barebones service in J/F in July as well.

Last edited by ab2013; Yesterday at 9:54 am
Old Yesterday, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ab2013 View Post
DL hasn't flown FNT-DTW in years. I'm sure they did it to cut off the bargain hunters who lived in the northern suburbs of Detroit.
The "bargains" pretty much ended once WN gobbled up Airtran. DL didn't drop FNT-DTW until several years after that.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
The "bargains" pretty much ended once WN gobbled up Airtran. DL didn't drop FNT-DTW until several years after that.
Hmmm - I thought I saw cheaper fares going from SEA to FNT from time-to-time even after DL dropped FNT-DTW. The fares definitely disappeared after WN pulled out of FNT.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
It's not that unusual. DL used to operate DL629 as DTW-NGO-MNL and DL630 as MNL-NGO-DTW with same aircraft. You should probably verify with DL on transit requirements. You may require a transit visa as well if you are Canadian national as it is not in the current Covid-19 exempt list (USA and Mexico are listed, but not Canada) for passengers arriving from China -- https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.html

Someone noted downthread that they aren't selling the DTW-ICN / ICN-DTW flights independently. So it sounds like these are just planned stops (possibly for cargo) where no one gets on/off the plane and thus won't require transit visas.
Thanks so much for your info. I am American, my wife is Chinese and immigrating. Is there any way to know for sure if this is just a planned stop and don't need to get on or off? When I selected my seat, it was tied to both legs before and after the Incheon stop, so all appearances is there is no change in aircraft. I contacted customer service and she just assumed we'd need to get off, but I know these aren't common flights, and this is a brand new flight literally thrown together over the weekend. Delta hasn't even acknowledged its existence yet, and whether it is officially approved.

Last edited by givionte; Yesterday at 11:27 am
Old Yesterday, 11:16 am

DL286

Weirdly enough, they aren't selling seats on the 11:30 PM SEA-ICN leg or the 9:30 PM DTW-ICN leg.

I'm as lost as you are, my flight just changed to the Dl 288 route. The Singapore rep I spoke to heard it was a way to get around the Chinese restrictions on flights (one route, once per week, per country), since the US government is having a row with the CAAC in China over blocking non-stop flights from Delta and United. There was media last night that claimed they had received approval for flights to continue and details would surface, but 2 hours later another media source said that news was fake, Delta had not won approval. Hours later, here we are with these new flights, but no details of that what how's and why's.. So what happened to the Neos that were planned, it sure is weird they are using A350's,
Old Yesterday, 11:58 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Looks like flights are being added back in July. I've been primarily checking NYC and noticed the following increases so far with schedule changes this weekend:

Changes/increases in July:
JFK-LAX - goes from 2x daily (June) to 4x daily - all 763ERs
JFK-SFO - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - all 75S
JFK-SEA - goes to 2x daily - all 75S
JFK-SAN - reinstate 1x daily 739
JFK-LAS - reinstate 1x daily 739
JFK-DEN - reinstate 1x daily 739
JFK-MIA - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-MCO - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-TPA - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-FLL - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-BOS - 3x daily (same as June) - from CR9 to E75
JFK-DTW - from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - CR9
JFK-MSP - 1x daily A221/CS1
JFK-SLC - 2x daily (June) to 3x daily - all 75S
JFK-ATL - 3x daily
JFK-AMS - from 3x weekly (June) to 1x daily 764
JFK-CDG - from 3x weekly (June) to 1x daily 764
JFK-TLV - 4x weekly A333
JFK-ATH - reinstate 4x weekly from 2nd half of July - from A333 to 763ER
JFK-LIS - reinstate 4x weekly from 2nd half of July - remains a 763ER
JFK-ACC - reinstate 4x weekly - 763ER
JFK-SDQ, STI, SJU - maintaining daily or less than daily 739 service

From LGA, looks like other non-hub cities will start to get nonstop service back starting in June and increasing in July or restarting in July. These include ORD, DFW, IAH, MIA, MCO, TPA, PBI, FLL, BNA, RDU, CLT, RIC, PIT, and CVG.

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Today at 8:07 am Reason: Added JFK-LIS coming back
Old Yesterday, 12:05 pm

DL284

5:00 AM depart PVG
7:30 AM arrive ICN
9:00 AM depart ICN
8:35 AM arrive DTW

DL285

9:30 PM depart DTW
12:40 AM arrive ICN
2:10 AM depart ICN
2:55 AM arrive PVG

DL286

DL287

11:30 PM depart SEA
2:30 AM arrive ICN
4:00 AM depart ICN
4:45 AM arrive PVG

I believe the SEA-PVG and DTW-PVG flights are only using ICN as a 'technical' stop because of the crew issues, hence they are not selling the SEA-ICN or DTW-ICN portion of these flights; both SEA and DTW still have their regular ICN flights (DL159 DTW-ICN and DL197 SEA-ICN) operating.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
Looks like flights are being added back in July. I've been primarily checking NYC and noticed the following increases so far with schedule changes this weekend:

Changes/increases in July:
JFK-LAX - goes from 2x daily (June) to 4x daily - all 763ERs
JFK-SFO - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - all 75S
JFK-SEA - goes to 2x daily - all 75S
JFK-SAN - reinstate 1x daily 739
JFK-LAS - reinstate 1x daily 739
JFK-DEN - reinstate 1x daily 739
JFK-MIA - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-MCO - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-TPA - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-FLL - goes from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - A320
JFK-BOS - 3x daily (same as June) - from CR9 to E75
JFK-DTW - from 1x daily (June) to 2x daily - CR9
JFK-MSP - 1x daily A221/CS1
JFK-SLC - 2x daily (June) to 3x daily - all 75S
JFK-ATL - 3x daily
JFK-AMS - from 3x weekly (June) to 1x daily 764
JFK-CDG - from 3x weekly (June) to 1x daily 764
JFK-TLV - 4x weekly A333
JFK-ATH - reinstate 4x weekly from 2nd half of July - from A333 to 763ER
JFK-ACC - reinstate 4x weekly - 763ER
JFK-SDQ, STI, SJU - maintaining daily or less than daily 739 service

From LGA, looks like other non-hub cities will start to get nonstop service back starting in June and increasing in July or restarting in July. These include ORD, DFW, IAH, MIA, MCO, TPA, PBI, FLL, BNA, RDU, CLT, RIC, PIT, and CVG.
Thanks for this

My middle August JFK-ATH flight is still showing A333 service. I wonder if the equipment change is temporary or if it will be used on this route for the remainder of the year. 767ER service to ATH would cause me to cancel or reroute. Worst business class hard product in the industry. Flew this one a few years ago from JFK to ATH and vowed to never do it again

EDIT - After doing the research, it looks like JFK-ATH direct service was pushed back to start now on July 23 from July 16 twice weekly. Starting Aug 1, it will be direct service daily on the A333

Last edited by buckeye91; Yesterday at 12:51 pm
Old Yesterday, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL360, Marriott Ambassdor
Originally Posted by buckeye91 View Post
Thanks for this

My middle August JFK-ATH flight is still showing A333 service. I wonder if the equipment change is temporary or if it will be used on this route for the remainder of the year. 767ER service to ATH would cause me to cancel or reroute. Worst business class hard product in the industry. Flew this one a few years ago from JFK to ATH and vowed to never do it again

EDIT - After doing the research, it looks like JFK-ATH direct service was pushed back to start now on July 23 from July 16 twice weekly. Starting Aug 1, it will be direct service daily on the A333
Isn't it early to count on any of these routes/frequencies/equipment? I thought they've been doing pretty significant updates month prior.
Old Yesterday, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ek3494 View Post
Isn't it early to count on any of these routes/frequencies/equipment? I thought they've been doing pretty significant updates month prior.
Not for me, given Greece’s pretty darn good performance with the virus crisis. There is some built up demand for flights to Athens from the US and other countries. It will depend on the Greek government allowing Americans in and the US government allowing us to fly and what, if any, type of quarantine we will have to be under upon return
Old Yesterday, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL360, Marriott Ambassdor
Not for me, given Greece’s pretty darn good performance with the virus crisis. There is some built up demand for flights to Athens from the US and other countries. It will depend on the Greek government allowing Americans in and the US government allowing us to fly and what, if any, type of quarantine we will have to be under upon return
Agree on Greece's liberal stance on ITL travel. But there's already a swing in start date for the route, and going from 2x weekly to daily in 8 days seems a pretty significant change. My only point being it seems a ways out when we haven't yet hit June.
Old Yesterday, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold
SEA-PVG, DTW-PVG routes back up in late June. one-stop for crew change in ICN. pending on Chinese government approval. too bad they moved out of NRT. If there were no DTW-PVG flight, other ICN to China connections are all fully booked to late Aug. Some NRT to China flights are still available in Aug and Sep but DL no longer flies to NRT. I have originally got award ticket LGA-DTW-PVG for June 30k miles which got cancelled. JFK-MEX-NRT in F class for 90k miles which got cancelled, JFK-MEX on DL, MEX-NRT on AM.

Currently, I got LGA-DTW-ICN on DL (cheaper than KE/OZ). Then ICN-NRT on OZ, and NRT-PVG on CA. You can stay in the transit area in ICN for no more than 24 hrs.

Last edited by yupenn; Yesterday at 3:44 pm
Old Today, 8:10 am

They have re-adjusted JFK-ATH now to restart July 16 onward and back to 4x weekly instead of 2x weekly (now Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat). As for August, I wouldn't rely on whatever is loaded for now as they have not started reviewing the August schedule yet.
Old Today, 10:11 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
The call center volume is so high (noon on Sunday 5/24) that the system just hangs up and doesn't even give you the chance for a callback

Search this Thread
Search Engine: