Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
Originally Posted by AviationFreak View Post
Unless I'm mistaken and there's just a glitch, looks like the July TATL cuts were loaded into the system today. MSP-AMS is back in July, but only one daily KLM. Just looked at a few other routes, looks like RDU-CDG, ATL-MUC, and SEA-AMS are all out for July.

Edit:
Looked at a few more:
ATL-AMS 1 daily (+2 AF)
ATL-CDG 1 daily (+ 1 KLM)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think your first two are reversed between AF and KLM.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Thanks for the heads-up! Yes, looks like a lot of the July schedule has been chopped and restart pushed to Aug 1...

For JFK, looks like the only TATL in July are JFK-CDG, JFK-AMS and JFK-ATH (for the second half of July). I assume they are hanging onto ATH for now given that the Greek government seems ready to open the country up to tourism again for the summer...
Correct. July 16 is when the direct JFK-ATH flight begins. As of yesterday it was July 2. There will be no problem getting into Greece as per the Greek PM's announcements today, unless there is some surprise coming for American tourists.

My biggest concern is the US government allowing us to travel to Europe at that time and not have to quarantine for 14 days when we arrive back in the US
Old May 20, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
They made adjustments in the past weekend to the MSP-AMS schedule already, but now its gone completely. I was originally on 0164 on 7/2 - that got switched to 0162 as 0164 was chopped this weekend (it was a 2 hour schedule change and been waiting for a good hold/call-back window to call and ask for a refund). Now 0162 is gone also, so I'm sure this weekend will see outright cancellation of my trip or reroute via DTW or ATL.
Ok, but those are DL flights. I specifically said KLM/AF flights. My point is that: just because DL has updated its schedule does not conclusively mean the other airlines have as well. They might not have decided yet what they want to fly in July
Old May 20, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Ok, but those are DL flights. I specifically said KLM/AF flights. My point is that: just because DL has updated its schedule does not conclusively mean the other airlines have as well. They might not have decided yet what they want to fly in July
I'm not sure I get what you're saying - I'm not trying to argue the KLM/AF flights will *for sure* operate or not - they're just listed for sale as of now.

I think your first two are reversed between AF and KLM
Yup yup, changed it. Thanks
ATLCDG likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
I'm not sure I get what you're saying - I'm not trying to argue the KLM/AF flights will *for sure* operate or not - they're just listed for sale as of now.
Ok, but they were listed for sale last week as well. So basically I'm getting at: nothing has changed and we have no new information about those flights. We don't know any more today then we did last week. Or 2 weeks ago. We have no idea if they have survived the cut (which would be exciting news indeed), or if KLM simply hasn't implemented its cuts yet.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:08 am

Word from Chinese media tonight is Delta and United flight plans have surprisingly received approval to begin in June. Whether it will be their filed plan for a daily flight for PVG > SEA and PVG > DTW, or will be something more limited is still unclear, but details should be announced later today by the Civil Aviation Ministry and I imagine Delta will have a presser since that's great news. Maybe me and my wife still have a chance to get home after all!
Old May 22, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by givionte
Word from Chinese media tonight is Delta and United flight plans have surprisingly received approval to begin in June. Whether it will be their filed plan for a daily flight for PVG > SEA and PVG > DTW, or will be something more limited is still unclear, but details should be announced later today by the Civil Aviation Ministry and I imagine Delta will have a presser since that's great news. Maybe me and my wife still have a chance to get home after all!
Oh wow - you're stranded in China? I thought the US government operated repatriation flights to/from some places and assumed that China was one of them.

Good to see the international network slowly start back up though.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
Oh wow - you're stranded in China? I thought the US government operated repatriation flights to/from some places and assumed that China was one of them.

Good to see the international network slowly start back up though.
The Us only operated repatriation flights in Wuhan, since Wuhan was completely locked down, exit and entry. That was way back in early February. Back in February and March flights in and out of China had no restrictions. Since April flights to China are subject to the rule of one airline can only fly one route to each country once a week. For example China Southern flies on Saturdays to LAX, Xiamen Air is Xiamen to LAX, etc. It's designed to prevent excessive imported cases since there are hundreds of thousands of study abroad Chinese trying to get home from other countries. The problem is it has driven the cost of fares 20x to 50x the normal cost due to how limited these flights are with the Covid-19 social distancing rules and only being able to have one flight a week. Chinese nationals are furious with the government for not allowing Delta and others to resume service, and many families are split apart.

Anyway, another report came out 2 hours after the story I mentioned last night refuting it, saying Delta and United have not received approval, and the Civil Aviation department is still in talks to restart flights. So now we are back to square one, who the hell knows what the real story is. Perhaps someone got a hold of leaked approval documents and the CAAC doesn't want it public yet without talking to the Chinese-owned airlines (it would be a bit unfair to restrict China Southern and China Eastern to one a flight a week and give Delta and United dailies). Or it was "fake news", but I have no idea why any Chinese media would be motivated to fake such a small news story as an airliner resuming pre-planned service.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf

DL has been approved by the DOT to drop 11 cities, unknown at this point when service will be discontinued to these airports.

Aspen, CO (ASE)
Bangor, ME (BGR)
Erie, PA (ERI)
Flint, MI (FNT)
Fort Smith, AR (FSM)
Lincoln, NE (LNK)
New Bern/Morehead/Beaufort, NC (EWN)
Peoria, IL (PIA)
Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA (AVP)
Williston, ND (XWA)
Old May 23, 2020, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf

DL has been approved by the DOT to drop 11 cities, unknown at this point when service will be discontinued to these airports.

Aspen, CO (ASE)
Bangor, ME (BGR)
Erie, PA (ERI)
Flint, MI (FNT)
Fort Smith, AR (FSM)
Lincoln, NE (LNK)
New Bern/Morehead/Beaufort, NC (EWN)
Peoria, IL (PIA)
Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA (AVP)
Williston, ND (XWA)
Interested parties can file objections until May 28th and a final list (possibly amended) will come out after that.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:35 am

Have a look at this flight DL 284 PVG > ICN > DTW and Dl 288 PVG > ICN > SEA. This appears to be an out of a blue new flight, with a short stop in ICN, same flight number, same plane type between stops. Assuming a single A350 will go the full journey start to finish, do they make everyone exit only to reboard? I've never seen anything like it, usually Delta codeshares with Korean Air to Incheon, and then the final leg switches to Delta metal. My wife is Chinese and can't enter the Incheon airport as transit is not allowed without a visa, thus why I raise this issue. Anyone know the typical procedures on a flight like this?
Old May 23, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Geez they just started SBA too!
Old May 23, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have a look at this flight DL 284 PVG > ICN > DTW and Dl 288 PVG > ICN > SEA. This appears to be an out of a blue new flight, with a short stop in ICN, same flight number, same plane type between stops. Assuming a single A350 will go the full journey start to finish, do they make everyone exit only to reboard? I've never seen anything like it, usually Delta codeshares with Korean Air to Incheon, and then the final leg switches to Delta metal. My wife is Chinese and can't enter the Incheon airport as transit is not allowed without a visa, thus why I raise this issue. Anyone know the typical procedures on a flight like this?
It's not that unusual. DL used to operate DL629 as DTW-NGO-MNL and DL630 as MNL-NGO-DTW with same aircraft. You should probably verify with DL on transit requirements. You may require a transit visa as well if you are Canadian national as it is not in the current Covid-19 exempt list (USA and Mexico are listed, but not Canada) for passengers arriving from China -- https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.html

Someone noted downthread that they aren't selling the DTW-ICN / ICN-DTW flights independently. So it sounds like these are just planned stops (possibly for cargo) where no one gets on/off the plane and thus won't require transit visas.

Last edited by xliioper; May 23, 2020 at 10:00 am
Old May 23, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It looks like LAN-DTW lives on for now then. Glad to hear that. FNT-DTW I could see eliminating, but LAN-DTW seemed a bit silly to eliminate from a distance/accessibility to air travel standpoint.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
This looks like the same routing they are taking with their current all-cargo flights to/from PVG. My guess is to allow for a crew change in ICN so as to get around any China layover issues for foreigners (the crew in this case).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.